[alt.fan.mozilla] FAQ 7 (last modified 2003-05-18).

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jeandré, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Jeandré

    Jeandré Guest

    [alt.fan.mozilla] FAQ 7 (last modified 2003-05-18).

    Posted on Sundays, and available on the web at
    <http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.html>.
    Post suggestions on alt.fan.mozilla (afm) or email them to
    <5.org.uk>.

    0. Is there a spell-checker for Mozilla?
    1. Can I kill popups?
    2. How can I use different email and/or news clients?
    3. Where are my bookmarks, settings, and email messages?
    4. How can I import my IE bookmarks?
    5. I found a bug, now what?
    6. How do I make changes in my user.js file?
    7. Where can I get help if this FAQ doesn't answer my questions?
    8. What are the best Mozilla links?
    9. Other good Internet suites?
    10. Who contributed to this FAQ?
    11. How has this FAQ changed? (at
    <http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.html> only)

    0. Is there a spell-checker for Mozilla?
    Yes, see <http://spellchecker.mozdev.org/>.

    1. Can I kill popups?
    Yes: Edit | Preferences | Privacy & security | Popup windows.

    2. How can I use different email and/or news clients?
    If you have 1.3b or newer: enter <about:config> in the address bar
    (without the < and > signs), go to network.protocol-handler.external.,
    right click on the setting you want to change (mailto or news), select
    Modify, and replace "false" with "true". This will launch your default
    email and/or news client when you click on email or newsgroup links.
    (Anyone know how to launch default ftp clients?)
    If you are using a version of Mozilla older than 1.3b: you can either
    install <http://preferential.mozdev.org/> and edit the options
    mentioned above from Edit | Advanced preferences..., or edit your
    user.js file and add
    "user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);" and/or
    "user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.news", true);" to it.

    3. Where are my bookmarks, settings, and email messages?
    See <http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.3/#profileloc>.

    4. How can I import my IE bookmarks?
    If they are not automatically available under Bookmarks | Imported IE
    favorites; export your IE favorites from File | Import-export, and in
    Mozilla use Bookmarks | Manage bookmarks | Tools | Import to import
    the file you just exported from IE.

    5. I found a bug, now what?
    You can ask an experienced Mozillian to report it for you, or jump in
    and get your fingers dirty: get the latest nightly
    <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest/> (warning:
    nightlies are usually unstable and can cause dataloss) to see if the
    bug's already been fixed. If the bug hasn't yet been fixed, search
    bugzilla <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi?format=modern>. If you
    can't find it, check the most frequently reported bugs list
    <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/duplicates.html> and most recently
    duplicated bugs
    <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/duplicates.cgi?sortby=bug_no>. If you
    still can't find it but think others must have reported it already,
    search Usenet <http://groups.google.com/>, ask in the MozillaZine IRC
    room <irc://moznet/#mozillazine>, and ask here in afm. If it really is
    new, read the Mozilla bug writing etiquette
    <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html> and
    guidelines
    <http://www.mozilla.org/quality/bug-writing-guidelines.html>. Also
    read how to report bugs effectively at
    <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html> (not Mozilla
    specific).

    6. How do I make changes in my user.js file?
    Your user.js file can be used to set preferences which Mozilla can't
    overwrite. See <http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.0/#profiles>
    to find out where it's default location is. You can create (or if it
    already exists, edit) it in a text editor. Be sure to keep the
    settings in alphabetical order. If you are using a version of Mozilla
    which is older than 1.3b, you can use your user.js file to change
    settings which can not be changed in the ui. You can also install
    <http://preferential.mozdev.org/> and modify all preferences from Edit
    | Advanced preferences.... If you are using Mozilla 1.3b or newer, you
    can enter <about:config> in the address bar (without the < and >
    signs) and modify settings.

    7. Where can I get help if this FAQ doesn't answer my questions?
    Search Mozilla's help database, the end user faq
    <http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/enduser.html>, old Usenet posts
    <http://groups.google.com/>, and the web with your favorite search
    engine; and ask in the MozillaZine IRC room
    <irc://moznet/#mozillazine>. If you still can't find an answer, post a
    question in afm and make sure you use a descriptive subject in your
    post. "MOZIla WTF!!!1" is useless, an example of a better subject
    would be "How do I get rid of underlined links?" (btw, the answer is
    at
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E16E2D8.30300%40m4x.org&output=gplain>).
    See also esr's essay on how to ask questions the smart way, at
    <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> (not a help desk
    for Mozilla, general essay) — while focussed more on asking questins
    of hackers, and not users like the afm population, it still has use
    useful information for afm.

    8. What are the best Mozilla links?
    <http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/WWW/Browsers/Mozilla/>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/faq.html>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/get-involved.html>
    <http://www.ufaq.org/>

    9. Other good Internet suites?
    Beonex communicator http://www.beonex.com/communicator/>.

    10. Who contributed to this FAQ?
    Jeandré, Keith Bowes, Pascal Chevrel, the friendly Mozillians on
    <irc://moznet/#mozillazine>, zebra.
    --
    /`\ Jeandré
    \ / <5.org.uk> <http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.html>

    Jeandré, Jun 22, 2003

  2. Jeandré

    Jeandré Guest

    [alt.fan.mozilla] FAQ 8 (last modified 2003-05-29).

    <http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.en.html>.

    <http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.en.html> only)

> [...]

    Search Mozilla's help database, the end user faq
    <http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/enduser.html>, old Usenet posts
    <http://groups.google.com/>, and the web with your favorite search
    engine; and ask in the MozillaZine IRC room
    <irc://moznet/#mozillazine>. If you still can't find an answer, post a
    question in afm and make sure you use a descriptive subject in your
    post. "MOZIla WTF!!!1" is useless, an example of a better subject
    would be "How do I get rid of underlined links?" (btw, the answer is
    at <
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E16E2D8.30300%40m4x.org&output=gplain>).
    See also esr's essay on how to ask questions the smart way, at
    <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> (not a help desk
    for Mozilla, general essay) — while focussed more on asking questins
    of hackers, and not users like the afm population, it still has useful
    information for afm.

    8. What are the best Mozilla links?
    <http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/WWW/Browsers/Mozilla/>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/faq.html>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/get-involved.html>
    <http://www.ufaq.org/>

    9. Other good Internet suites?
    Beonex communicator <http://www.beonex.com/communicator/>.

    10. Who contributed to this FAQ?
    Jeandré, Keith Bowes, Pascal Chevrel, the friendly Mozillians on
    <irc://moznet/#mozillazine>, zebra, and others.

    Jeandré, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Jeandré

    Jeandré, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Jeandré

    Jeandré Guest

    [alt.fan.mozilla] FAQ 9 (last modified 2003-07-16).

    <http://jack.p5.org.uk/software/mozilla/faq.en.html>.

    <http://jack.p5.org.uk/software/mozilla/faq.en.html> only)

    Jeandré, Jul 16, 2003
  5. Jeandré