    that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
    shutter speed, that is automatic? I am not at all technical so please
    try to make it simple, and thank you ahead of time for your patience.
    jilliesmother, Jan 21, 2005

  2. jilliesmother

    Colic Guest

    "jilliesmother" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I want a high end digital camera that takes high resolutions pictures.
    > I have not bought one yet for the same reason as the other person was
    > commenting the shutter speed. Is there any digital camera out there
    > that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
    > shutter speed, that is automatic? I am not at all technical so please
    > try to make it simple, and thank you ahead of time for your patience.

    Yes, in the Nikon line the D100 and D70 are both cameras that function
    identical to a nice 35mm film camera. Both have automatic modes that work
    quite well.

    In the Canon line the Digital Rebel, 10D (now out of production, but still
    found for sale), and the 20D all have the same capabilities as the above
    mentioned Nikons. Of the 5 cameras jsut mentioned the Canon 20D is probably
    the best camera overall, although the Nikon D70 has a couple features that
    the 20D could really use (such as spot meter). None of these features would
    impact your use of the automatic mode.

    Both Canon and Nikon make more models than this, but the ones not named are
    aimed at the professional markets and get quite expensive. The five listed
    above range in price from about $1500 to $700, average real world sales
    prices. From highest to lowest price (average):20D, D100, D70, 10D, Digital
    Rebel. In general this list is also the list from "best" to "worst" by many
    definitions. The D100 and D70 would probably be reversed in a list of this
    type, and the margine between the D70, D100, and 10D gets very small. (I
    bet these last two sentances draw some responses...lol). All of the above
    listed cameras can yield results that can not be decerned from print film if
    the correct printing techniques are used.

    There are other manufacturers who make DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex)
    cameras that could also be counted, but I have not personally used any other
    brands. Kodak, Konica-Minolta, Olympus and Fuji come to mind.

    There are also several point and shoot cameras that will produce outstanding
    results that up to about 8 x 10 inch print size are very hard to tell from
    film photographs. These cameras typically cost from $1000 down to the $300
    range, with less and less features and optical performance as you go down.
    Cameras under $300 are often so limited in feature set that real world print
    quality suffers, despite the fact that the imagers themselves are quite
    capable of nice images.

    Really, you are the only one who can make a choice about what you have to
    have and what you can afford. Everyone can suggest their favorite camera,
    but it may not be applicable to your needs/wants/capabilities.

    Colic, Jan 21, 2005

  3. jilliesmother

    bob Guest

    "jilliesmother" <> wrote in

    > Is there any digital camera out there
    > that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
    > shutter speed, that is automatic?

    Mostly the digital-SLR type cameras respond the same as film-slr cameras,
    while the digital-non-slr cameras have a delay between pressing the
    shutter and it taking the photo.

    Some of the newest, most expensive cameras have greatly reduced this lag,
    and some techniques can also reduce it.

    On dpreview.com, the review of the Nikon Coolpix 8400 ($900 more or less)
    is tested at 1/10 second lag from the 1/2 press, but up to 2 seconds in
    other situations.

    Bob
    bob, Jan 21, 2005
  4. jilliesmother

    Crownfield Guest

    Colic wrote:

    > "jilliesmother" <> wrote in message
    > >I want a high end digital camera that takes high resolutions pictures.
    > > I have not bought one yet for the same reason as the other person was
    > > commenting the shutter speed. Is there any digital camera out there
    > > that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
    > > shutter speed, that is automatic? I am not at all technical so please
    > > try to make it simple, and thank you ahead of time for your patience.

    > Really, you are the only one who can make a choice about what you have to
    > have and what you can afford. Everyone can suggest their favorite camera,
    > but it may not be applicable to your needs/wants/capabilities.

    he is very right.

    go to two stores, and look at what they offer.
    ask opinions at both stores.
    think about what they say,
    handle the cameras, and find out if one feels better to you.
    http://www.dpreview.com will have pretty good reviews of the cameras,
    and will tell you if what you are thinking
    is getting lost in the sales pitch.

    thumbs plus from ceriors.com,
    and paint shop pro from jasc.com / corel.com
    are two good and useful programs
    for working with the pictures that you will get.

    Crownfield, Jan 21, 2005
  5. jilliesmother

    Harvey Guest

    > I want a high end digital camera that takes high resolutions pictures.
    > I have not bought one yet for the same reason as the other person was
    > commenting the shutter speed. Is there any digital camera out there
    > that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
    > shutter speed, that is automatic? I am not at all technical so please
    > try to make it simple, and thank you ahead of time for your patience.

    Ninety seven people out of 100 are happy with the Panasonic FZ-20. It is a
    large digital camera and has a huge Leica lens.
    Harvey, Jan 21, 2005
  6. jilliesmother

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >Colic wrote:

    [SNIP]

    >thumbs plus from ceriors.com,
    >and paint shop pro from jasc.com / corel.com
    >are two good and useful programs
    >for working with the pictures that you will get.

    I believe that the URL for ThumbsPlus is www.cerious.com

    Hunt
    Hunt, Jan 21, 2005
  7. My wife and I recently went through this process, and decided on the D70.
    But the Digital Rebel is also very good. We only went with the D70 because
    it had a few key features that we really wanted (Better continuos shooting
    speed, more command dials for easy access to settings, etc.)

    I think you'd be happy with either the Nikon D70 or Canon Digital Rebel.
    Image quality is very similar (according to most reviews), so maybe just try
    them and see which one is easier for you to use and enjoy.

    -Paul H.

    hotchkisstrio, Jan 21, 2005
  8. jilliesmother

    Crownfield Guest

    Hunt wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    > >
    > >Colic wrote:

    > [SNIP]
    > >
    > >thumbs plus from ceriors.com,
    > >and paint shop pro from jasc.com / corel.com
    > >are two good and useful programs
    > >for working with the pictures that you will get.

    > I believe that the URL for ThumbsPlus is www.cerious.com

    typo error. thank you for catching it.

    Crownfield, Jan 21, 2005