  1. steve

    steve Guest

    okay
    steve, Jul 2, 2007

  2. steve

    meerkat Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    news:Rgcii.28593$...
    > okay

    Good. I`m glad that`s sorted.
    meerkat, Jul 2, 2007

  3. steve

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:23:29 GMT, steve <>
    wrote:

    >okay

    If you say so.
    Evan Platt, Jul 2, 2007
  4. steve

    sammy Guest

    there's no such word as "alright."

    i think it's "alrite," or maybe "allrite." but then again, i could be
    alwrong.

    sammy, Jul 2, 2007
  5. steve

    Daave Guest

    Daave, Jul 2, 2007
  6. steve

    sammy Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in message
    > sammy wrote:
    >> there's no such word as "alright."

    > Tell it to Webster. ;-)
    >
    > http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/alright

    ahem, not so fast, dear daave. i shall tell it to merriam also.

    it's all right for SOME perhaps, but certainly not all.

    "A more recent edition of Fowler, the New Modern English Usage, revised
    third edition, edited by RW Burchfield (Oxford 1998) reserves one of its
    snootier notes for the subject: "The use of 'all right', or inability to see
    that there is anything wrong with 'alright', reveals one's background,
    upbringing, education etc, perhaps as much as any word in the language ... "

    a brief recess here if you please while i doff my chapeau in reverence to rw
    burchfield.

    daave, apparently you are one of the poor unfortunates suffering from the
    inability to see that there is anything wrong with 'alright.'

    this is, of course, a convoluted way of saying you should see something
    wrong with 'alright.'

    so, you scoundrel, your background, upbringing, education etc have exposed
    you for what your are! and let's add to that those illiterate
    bastard/editors over at merriam-webster.

    lastly, before any of you thick skulled "alright" proponents assail me for
    my eschewing of capitalization allow me to say there are two compelling
    reasons for this.

    1. i consider pecking at the shift key a waste of time. i have much to do.
    protecting our precious english is an enormous undertaking.

    2. if i remember correctly it was back in the 1920s when i corrected some
    lout on his improper grammar and he chewed off the little finger on my left
    hand. if memory serves, he represented himself as some sort of wordsmith
    employed by merriam-webster which i consider as little more than a kowloon
    brothel in the world of publishing.
    sammy, Jul 3, 2007
  7. sammy wrote:
    > "Daave" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>sammy wrote:
    >>
    >>>there's no such word as "alright."

    >>Tell it to Webster. ;-)
    >>
    >>http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/alright
    >>

    > ahem, not so fast, dear daave. i shall tell it to merriam also.
    >
    > it's all right for SOME perhaps, but certainly not all.
    >
    > "A more recent edition of Fowler, the New Modern English Usage, revised
    > third edition, edited by RW Burchfield (Oxford 1998) reserves one of its
    > snootier notes for the subject: "The use of 'all right', or inability to see
    > that there is anything wrong with 'alright', reveals one's background,
    > upbringing, education etc, perhaps as much as any word in the language ... "
    >
    > a brief recess here if you please while i doff my chapeau in reverence to rw
    > burchfield.
    >
    > daave, apparently you are one of the poor unfortunates suffering from the
    > inability to see that there is anything wrong with 'alright.'
    >
    > this is, of course, a convoluted way of saying you should see something
    > wrong with 'alright.'
    >
    > so, you scoundrel, your background, upbringing, education etc have exposed
    > you for what your are! and let's add to that those illiterate
    > bastard/editors over at merriam-webster.
    >
    > lastly, before any of you thick skulled "alright" proponents assail me for
    > my eschewing of capitalization allow me to say there are two compelling
    > reasons for this.
    >
    > 1. i consider pecking at the shift key a waste of time. i have much to do.
    > protecting our precious english is an enormous undertaking.
    >
    > 2. if i remember correctly it was back in the 1920s when i corrected some
    > lout on his improper grammar and he chewed off the little finger on my left
    > hand. if memory serves, he represented himself as some sort of wordsmith
    > employed by merriam-webster which i consider as little more than a kowloon
    > brothel in the world of publishing.

    This sort of pedantry up with we shall not put.
    --
    Churchill
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 3, 2007
  8. steve

    Daave Guest

    sammy wrote:
    > "Daave" <> wrote in message
    >> sammy wrote:
    >>> there's no such word as "alright."

    >> Tell it to Webster. ;-)
    >>
    >> http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/alright
    >>

    > ahem, not so fast, dear daave. i shall tell it to merriam also.
    >
    > it's all right for SOME perhaps, but certainly not all.
    >
    > "A more recent edition of Fowler, the New Modern English Usage,
    > revised third edition, edited by RW Burchfield (Oxford 1998) reserves
    > one of its snootier notes for the subject: "The use of 'all right',
    > or inability to see that there is anything wrong with 'alright',
    > reveals one's background, upbringing, education etc, perhaps as much
    > as any word in the language ... "
    >
    > a brief recess here if you please while i doff my chapeau in
    > reverence to rw burchfield.
    >
    > daave, apparently you are one of the poor unfortunates suffering from
    > the inability to see that there is anything wrong with 'alright.'
    >
    > this is, of course, a convoluted way of saying you should see
    > something wrong with 'alright.'
    >
    > so, you scoundrel, your background, upbringing, education etc have
    > exposed you for what your are! and let's add to that those illiterate
    > bastard/editors over at merriam-webster.
    >
    > lastly, before any of you thick skulled "alright" proponents assail
    > me for my eschewing of capitalization allow me to say there are two
    > compelling reasons for this.
    >
    > 1. i consider pecking at the shift key a waste of time. i have much
    > to do. protecting our precious english is an enormous undertaking.
    >
    > 2. if i remember correctly it was back in the 1920s when i corrected
    > some lout on his improper grammar and he chewed off the little finger
    > on my left hand. if memory serves, he represented himself as some
    > sort of wordsmith employed by merriam-webster which i consider as
    > little more than a kowloon brothel in the world of publishing.

    Oh, alright...
    Daave, Jul 3, 2007
  9. steve

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:16:10 -0400, sammy wrote:

    > "Daave" <> wrote in message
    >> sammy wrote:
    >>> there's no such word as "alright."

    >> Tell it to Webster. ;-)
    >>
    >> http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/alright
    >>

    > ahem, not so fast, dear daave. i shall tell it to merriam also.
    >
    > it's all right for SOME perhaps, but certainly not all.
    >
    > "A more recent edition of Fowler, the New Modern English Usage, revised
    > third edition, edited by RW Burchfield (Oxford 1998) reserves one of its
    > snootier notes for the subject: "The use of 'all right', or inability to
    > see that there is anything wrong with 'alright', reveals one's
    > background, upbringing, education etc, perhaps as much as any word in
    > the language ... "
    >
    > a brief recess here if you please while i doff my chapeau in reverence
    > to rw burchfield.
    >
    > daave, apparently you are one of the poor unfortunates suffering from
    > the inability to see that there is anything wrong with 'alright.'
    >
    > this is, of course, a convoluted way of saying you should see something
    > wrong with 'alright.'
    >
    > so, you scoundrel, your background, upbringing, education etc have
    > exposed you for what your are! and let's add to that those illiterate
    > bastard/editors over at merriam-webster.
    >
    > lastly, before any of you thick skulled "alright" proponents assail me
    > for my eschewing of capitalization allow me to say there are two
    > compelling reasons for this.
    >
    > 1. i consider pecking at the shift key a waste of time. i have much to
    > do. protecting our precious english is an enormous undertaking.
    >
    > 2. if i remember correctly it was back in the 1920s when i corrected
    > some lout on his improper grammar and he chewed off the little finger on
    > my left hand. if memory serves, he represented himself as some sort of
    > wordsmith employed by merriam-webster which i consider as little more
    > than a kowloon brothel in the world of publishing.

    In addition to the above, Merriam Webster has nothing to do with the
    English language. It's made for the use of speakers of Americanese, which
    is a language those of us in civilised parts of the world know is a
    regressive language which becomes more 'dumbed down' by the day.

    Unlike English, which continues to flower and progress minute by
    minute.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)
    Aardvark, Jul 3, 2007
  10. steve

    sammy Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:16:10 -0400, sammy wrote:
    >
    >> "Daave" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Tell it to Webster. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/alright
    >>>

    >> ahem, not so fast, dear daave. i shall tell it to merriam also.
    >>
    >> it's all right for SOME perhaps, but certainly not all.
    >>
    >> "A more recent edition of Fowler, the New Modern English Usage, revised
    >> third edition, edited by RW Burchfield (Oxford 1998) reserves one of its
    >> snootier notes for the subject: "The use of 'all right', or inability to
    >> see that there is anything wrong with 'alright', reveals one's
    >> background, upbringing, education etc, perhaps as much as any word in
    >> the language ... "
    >>
    >> a brief recess here if you please while i doff my chapeau in reverence
    >> to rw burchfield.
    >>
    >> daave, apparently you are one of the poor unfortunates suffering from
    >> the inability to see that there is anything wrong with 'alright.'
    >>
    >> this is, of course, a convoluted way of saying you should see something
    >> wrong with 'alright.'
    >>
    >> so, you scoundrel, your background, upbringing, education etc have
    >> exposed you for what your are! and let's add to that those illiterate
    >> bastard/editors over at merriam-webster.
    >>
    >> lastly, before any of you thick skulled "alright" proponents assail me
    >> for my eschewing of capitalization allow me to say there are two
    >> compelling reasons for this.
    >>
    >> 1. i consider pecking at the shift key a waste of time. i have much to
    >> do. protecting our precious english is an enormous undertaking.
    >>
    >> 2. if i remember correctly it was back in the 1920s when i corrected
    >> some lout on his improper grammar and he chewed off the little finger on
    >> my left hand. if memory serves, he represented himself as some sort of
    >> wordsmith employed by merriam-webster which i consider as little more
    >> than a kowloon brothel in the world of publishing.

    > In addition to the above, Merriam Webster has nothing to do with the
    > English language. It's made for the use of speakers of Americanese, which
    > is a language those of us in civilised parts of the world know is a
    > regressive language which becomes more 'dumbed down' by the day.
    >
    > Unlike English, which continues to flower and progress minute by
    > minute.
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User 413057.
    > Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04
    > You can have it all. My empire of hurt.
    >
    > Liverpool F.C.-more European Cups than all
    > the other English teams put together :)

    all right.
    sammy, Jul 3, 2007
  11. steve

    Guest

    "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote:

    >> In addition to the above, Merriam Webster has nothing to do with the
    >> English language. It's made for the use of speakers of Americanese, which
    >> is a language those of us in civilised parts of the world know is a
    >> regressive language which becomes more 'dumbed down' by the day.
    >>
    >> Unlike English, which continues to flower and progress minute by
    >> minute.

    >all right.

    So this means RiteAid must change it's name?
    http://www.riteaid.com/company/ I go in every now and again,
    I'll give them the bad news...

    --
    Microsoft apologizes for "Ultimate Extras" embarrassment
    (Vista Ultimate) http://tinyurl.com/ytefpm