    was going through some old image files...I came accross this shot I snapped
    that turned out to be the final grunt from a future-hall-of-famer, batting
    legend:

    Mark², Oct 11, 2005

  2. Mark²

    Mike Warren Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their
    > division...

    Who?

    > But as I was going through some old image files...I came
    > accross this shot I snapped that turned out to be the final grunt
    > from a future-hall-of-famer, batting legend:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/50566039/original

    Ah, someone hitting a round thing with a stick. :)

    <gdr>

    --
    Mike Warren
    My web gallery: http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/mike

    Mike Warren, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Mike Warren wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their
    >> division...

    > Who?
    >
    >> But as I was going through some old image files...I came
    >> accross this shot I snapped that turned out to be the final grunt
    >> from a future-hall-of-famer, batting legend:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/50566039/original

    > Ah, someone hitting a round thing with a stick. :)

    Yes...
    -And making millions for it.
    :)

    Mark², Oct 11, 2005
  4. In article <434b58df$0$64078$>,
    Mike Warren <> wrote:

    > Mark² wrote:
    > > ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their
    > > division...

    > Who?
    >
    > > But as I was going through some old image files...I came
    > > accross this shot I snapped that turned out to be the final grunt
    > > from a future-hall-of-famer, batting legend:
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/50566039/original

    > Ah, someone hitting a round thing with a stick. :)
    >
    > <gdr>

    Why to you hate America?

    Steve Cutchen, Oct 11, 2005
  5. On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:59:33 GMT, Steve Cutchen <>
    wrote:

    >In article <434b58df$0$64078$>,
    >Mike Warren <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mark² wrote:
    >> > ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their
    >> > division...

    >> Who?
    >>
    >> > But as I was going through some old image files...I came
    >> > accross this shot I snapped that turned out to be the final grunt
    >> > from a future-hall-of-famer, batting legend:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/50566039/original

    >> Ah, someone hitting a round thing with a stick. :)
    >>
    >> <gdr>

    >Why to you hate America?

    "Thanks for the American dream,
    To vulgarize and to falsify until
    the bare lies shine through.
    Thanks for a country where
    nobody's allowed to mind their
    own business.
    Thanks for the last and greatest
    betrayal of the last and greatest
    of human dreams."

    "Thanksgiving Prayer"
    William Burroughs
    (1914-1997)

    John A. Stovall, Oct 11, 2005
  6. In article <utI2f.1062$UF4.360@fed1read02>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    wrote:

    > ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their division...But as I
    > was going through some old image files...I came accross this shot I snapped
    > that turned out to be the final grunt from a future-hall-of-famer, batting
    > legend:

    There are people out there that actually care about the National League?

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 11, 2005
  7. Mark²

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    > ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their division...But as
    > I was going through some old image files...I came accross this shot I
    > snapped that turned out to be the final grunt from a future-hall-of-famer,
    > batting legend:

    Not sure that the Padres are any suckier than this year's Yanks, but that's
    a nice shot of Gwynn. If he had played in one of the media centers (NY,
    Boston, LA, etc) he'd be canonized by the local media and fans. Great
    hitter.

    Kinon O'Cann, Oct 11, 2005
  8. Mark²

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <utI2f.1062$UF4.360@fed1read02>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their division...But
    >> as I
    >> was going through some old image files...I came accross this shot I
    >> snapped
    >> that turned out to be the final grunt from a future-hall-of-famer,
    >> batting
    >> legend:

    > There are people out there that actually care about the National League?

    Yes, even though I'm from the Boston area, I hate the DH, and very much
    prefer the NL style game. The DH is a curse on the league, and it came far,
    far too late for Dick Stewart (aka Dr. Strangeglove).

    Kinon O'Cann, Oct 11, 2005
  9. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    > ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their division...But as

    > was going through some old image files...I came accross this shot I

    snapped
    > that turned out to be the final grunt from a future-hall-of-famer, batting
    > legend:

    Oh look! a man playing Rounders ;-)

    Steve

    Biker2 \(Threadstopper\), Oct 11, 2005
  10. "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote in message

    >> ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their division...But
    >> as I was going through some old image files...I came accross this shot I
    >> snapped that turned out to be the final grunt from a
    >> future-hall-of-famer, batting legend:

    > Not sure that the Padres are any suckier than this year's Yanks, but
    > that's a nice shot of Gwynn. If he had played in one of the media centers
    > (NY, Boston, LA, etc) he'd be canonized by the local media and fans. Great
    > hitter.

    Oh the Yankees are far better than the Padres could hope to be but they're
    not good enough as the Angels proved. Their pitching has been too
    unreliable and that's what wins in the playoffs.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Oct 11, 2005
  11. Mark²

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:06:10 +0100, Biker2 (Threadstopper) wrote:

    >> ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their division...But as

    >> was going through some old image files...I came accross this shot I

    > snapped
    >> that turned out to be the final grunt from a future-hall-of-famer, batting
    >> legend:

    > Oh look! a man playing Rounders ;-)
    >
    > Steve

    You are not supposed to point out that it is a girls game in the UK :)
    --
    Neil
    Delete delete to reply by email

    Neil Ellwood, Oct 11, 2005
  12. In article <>, John A.
    Stovall <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:59:33 GMT, Steve Cutchen <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <434b58df$0$64078$>,
    > >Mike Warren <> wrote:

    > >> Who?

    > >> Ah, someone hitting a round thing with a stick. :)
    > >>
    > >> <gdr>

    > >Why to you hate America?

    > "Thanks for the American dream,
    > To vulgarize and to falsify until
    > the bare lies shine through.
    > Thanks for a country where
    > nobody's allowed to mind their
    > own business.
    > Thanks for the last and greatest
    > betrayal of the last and greatest
    > of human dreams."
    >
    > "Thanksgiving Prayer"
    > William Burroughs
    > (1914-1997)

    Who did he play for?

    Steve Cutchen, Oct 11, 2005
  13. In article <JsO2f.2$>, Kinon O'Cann
    <> wrote:

    > "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <utI2f.1062$UF4.360@fed1read02>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their division...But
    > >> as I
    > >> was going through some old image files...I came accross this shot I
    > >> snapped
    > >> that turned out to be the final grunt from a future-hall-of-famer,
    > >> batting
    > >> legend:

    > > There are people out there that actually care about the National League?

    > Yes, even though I'm from the Boston area, I hate the DH, and very much
    > prefer the NL style game. The DH is a curse on the league, and it came far,
    > far too late for Dick Stewart (aka Dr. Strangeglove).

    You are wise...

    Steve Cutchen, Oct 11, 2005
  14. Mark²

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(remove)@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    >>> ...So the Padres are the suckiest team to ever win their division...But
    >>> as I was going through some old image files...I came accross this shot I
    >>> snapped that turned out to be the final grunt from a
    >>> future-hall-of-famer, batting legend:

    >> Not sure that the Padres are any suckier than this year's Yanks, but
    >> that's a nice shot of Gwynn. If he had played in one of the media centers
    >> (NY, Boston, LA, etc) he'd be canonized by the local media and fans.
    >> Great
    >> hitter.

    > Oh the Yankees are far better than the Padres could hope to be but they're
    > not good enough as the Angels proved. Their pitching has been too
    > unreliable and that's what wins in the playoffs.

    I guess I take into account the price/performance ratio of the teams.

    :)

    Kinon O'cann, Oct 11, 2005
  15. Mark²

    Skip M Guest

    "Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote in message

    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(remove)@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >> "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Not sure that the Padres are any suckier than this year's Yanks, but
    >>> that's a nice shot of Gwynn. If he had played in one of the media
    >>> centers
    >>> (NY, Boston, LA, etc) he'd be canonized by the local media and fans.
    >>> Great
    >>> hitter.

    >> Oh the Yankees are far better than the Padres could hope to be but
    >> they're
    >> not good enough as the Angels proved. Their pitching has been too
    >> unreliable and that's what wins in the playoffs.

    > I guess I take into account the price/performance ratio of the teams.
    >
    > :)

    Saw an interesting graphic on Sports Center last night. The combined
    payrolls of the Angels and the White Sox are $30M below the payroll of the
    Yankees. Same for the combined payrolls of the Astros and Cardinals.
    The Best Team Money Can Buy, yeah, right...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Oct 11, 2005
  16. Mark²

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message

    > Saw an interesting graphic on Sports Center last night. The combined
    > payrolls of the Angels and the White Sox are $30M below the payroll of the
    > Yankees. Same for the combined payrolls of the Astros and Cardinals.
    > The Best Team Money Can Buy, yeah, right...

    Six years since their last title, and they've spend over a billion in
    payroll with nothing to show for it. Sox (Red) aren't much better. Funny, I
    think they actually hurt each other by slugging it out until the end.
    Neither team was able to set their rotation, and the Sox had to lead off
    with their worst pitcher, and never recovered. The Yanks still suffer from
    the curse of A-Fraud.

    I'm rooting for Houston, for no reason whatsoever.

    Kinon O'cann, Oct 12, 2005
  17. Mark²

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Neil Ellwood <neil.ellwdeleteoodbtinternet.com> wrote:
    >On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:06:10 +0100, Biker2 (Threadstopper) wrote:

    >> Oh look! a man playing Rounders ;-)
    >>
    >> Steve

    >You are not supposed to point out that it is a girls game in the UK :)

    Not just a girls' game, a schoolgirls' game. A *primary* schoolgirls' game.
    ;-)

    Chris Brown, Oct 12, 2005
  18. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Skip M wrote:
    > "Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(remove)@optonline.net> wrote in
    >> message news:digfld$h4i$...
    >>> "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote in message

    >>> Oh the Yankees are far better than the Padres could hope to be but
    >>> they're
    >>> not good enough as the Angels proved. Their pitching has been too
    >>> unreliable and that's what wins in the playoffs.

    >> I guess I take into account the price/performance ratio of the teams.
    >>
    >> :)

    > Saw an interesting graphic on Sports Center last night. The combined
    > payrolls of the Angels and the White Sox are $30M below the payroll
    > of the Yankees. Same for the combined payrolls of the Astros and
    > Cardinals. The Best Team Money Can Buy, yeah, right...

    Personally, I think the teams should have to abide by the spending cap.
    At this point, it's no longer sport...it's simply a contest to see who can
    spend the most money.
    We no longer have teams...we have individual players whose loyalty is to
    their bank account ONLY.
    I long for the days where teams were TEAMS rather than a collection of
    over-payed prima donnas.
    One of the reasons I really am a fan of the Padres is that they have made a
    real effort to avoid hiring players that are jerks. We had a jerk (Phil
    Nevin) who would curse and scream his way back to the dugout every
    day...kids listening. We traded his butt...gone.

    In LA and NY...they don't care if you killed your mother. As long as you
    can hit, they'll pay you zillions. The system we have now means that Bill
    Gates would make a good team owner--not because he knows anything about
    baseball (think Steinbrenner), but because he could fork out enough cash to
    drain the country of its talent.

    What the Padres have done...in spite of injury...and in spite of limited
    funds is NOTHING that should be ridiculed--as they have constantly been
    ridiculed by the national sports media. We've got a genuinely good guy as
    an owner (John Moores), and for the most part have kept guys on our team
    worthy of respect. We don't have the best team, but we have a team worth
    rooting for.

    Mark², Oct 12, 2005
  19. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Chris Brown wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Neil Ellwood <neil.ellwdeleteoodbtinternet.com> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:06:10 +0100, Biker2 (Threadstopper) wrote:

    >>> Oh look! a man playing Rounders ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> You are not supposed to point out that it is a girls game in the UK
    >> :)

    > Not just a girls' game, a schoolgirls' game. A *primary* schoolgirls'
    > game. ;-)

    That's OK.
    England has the highest percentage of girlie-men on the planet.
    :)
    Real men HERE on the OTHER side of the pond can look tough even while
    hitting little balls with a stick...

    Mark², Oct 12, 2005
  20. Mark²

    Skip M Guest

    > Skip M wrote:

    >> Saw an interesting graphic on Sports Center last night. The combined
    >> payrolls of the Angels and the White Sox are $30M below the payroll
    >> of the Yankees. Same for the combined payrolls of the Astros and
    >> Cardinals. The Best Team Money Can Buy, yeah, right...

    > Personally, I think the teams should have to abide by the spending cap.
    > At this point, it's no longer sport...it's simply a contest to see who can
    > spend the most money.
    > We no longer have teams...we have individual players whose loyalty is to
    > their bank account ONLY.
    > I long for the days where teams were TEAMS rather than a collection of
    > over-payed prima donnas.
    > One of the reasons I really am a fan of the Padres is that they have made
    > a real effort to avoid hiring players that are jerks. We had a jerk (Phil
    > Nevin) who would curse and scream his way back to the dugout every
    > day...kids listening. We traded his butt...gone.
    >
    > In LA and NY...they don't care if you killed your mother. As long as you
    > can hit, they'll pay you zillions. The system we have now means that Bill
    > Gates would make a good team owner--not because he knows anything about
    > baseball (think Steinbrenner), but because he could fork out enough cash
    > to drain the country of its talent.
    >
    > What the Padres have done...in spite of injury...and in spite of limited
    > funds is NOTHING that should be ridiculed--as they have constantly been
    > ridiculed by the national sports media. We've got a genuinely good guy as
    > an owner (John Moores), and for the most part have kept guys on our team
    > worthy of respect. We don't have the best team, but we have a team worth
    > rooting for.

    Very true.

    Skip M, Oct 12, 2005