    Thanks
    S.

    ---

    Sonn, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Sonn

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I've been trying to sort out a dialup problem, with not much luck. When I
    > boot up I connect and get my mail, but after a period of inactivity, if I
    > try to dial out again I get a message : 756 This connection is already being
    > dialed. Online and XP Help isn't [helpful] as all it says is "wait and try
    > again later". Even if I go into Control Panel, properties, and get the
    > modem to "disconnect" it doesn't (says it is, but doesn't). Something is
    > stealing my modem (sorry I don't know the tech lingo). Anyway, ideas
    > please, how I find out what's going on so I can fix it.
    > Thanks
    > S.
    >

    > ---

    How long has this been happening? Are there any modem settings that
    limit how many times you can dial a number within a set time period?
    Some modems have a thing called "blacklisting" that stops you calling a
    number too frequently.

    colinco, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Sonn

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I've been trying to sort out a dialup problem, with not much luck. When I
    > boot up I connect and get my mail, but after a period of inactivity, if I
    > try to dial out again I get a message : 756 This connection is already being
    > dialed. Online and XP Help isn't [helpful] as all it says is "wait and try
    > again later". Even if I go into Control Panel, properties, and get the
    > modem to "disconnect" it doesn't (says it is, but doesn't). Something is
    > stealing my modem (sorry I don't know the tech lingo). Anyway, ideas
    > please, how I find out what's going on so I can fix it.
    > Thanks

    All the users I've had with those symptoms (can't disconnect in
    particular) have been Blaster worm infected.

    D/l and install the appropriate patch from this page - and see
    if your symptoms improve

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?
    url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Sep 1, 2003