AlphaShield Firewall

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    John, Nov 1, 2004

  2. John

    Hmmm Guest

    John wrote:
    > Anyone know if the AlphaShield unit is available in NZ?
    >
    > http://www.alphashield.com/
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    $169 US...

    I really suggest you look at

    www.smoothwall.org
    www.ipcop.com

    These take advantage of an old crappy pc, like a p-100 with 129 megs of
    memory and a 2 gig drive.

    It does _far_ more than alphashield, is software based so can be updated
    with new features etc.

    smoothwall includes

    spf firewall
    web proxy (squid)
    nat
    QoS (major bonus, you can go crazy with ftp, p2p and still brose the net
    without your websurfing suffering from p2p and ftp etc)
    massive logging
    intrusion detections (snort)
    vpn
    dns cache (dnsmasq)

    loads more, its really easy to setup too..
    anyway just thought id throw that at you, smoothwall is free so im not
    making a commission :)

    another popular one is
    www.clarkconnect.com

    Hmmm, Nov 1, 2004

  3. John

    EMB Guest

    Hmmm wrote:

    > smoothwall includes
    >
    > spf firewall ***
    > web proxy (squid)
    > nat ***
    > QoS ***
    > some logging ***
    > intrusion detections ***
    > vpn
    > dns cache ***

    The average cheap ADSL router does all those marked *** above!

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 1, 2004
  4. John

    Hmmm Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Hmmm wrote:
    >
    >> smoothwall includes
    >>
    >> spf firewall ***
    >> web proxy (squid)
    >> nat ***
    >> QoS ***
    >> some logging ***
    >> intrusion detections ***
    >> vpn
    >> dns cache ***

    > The average cheap ADSL router does all those marked *** above!

    show me a cheap adsl router that does decent qos, i really want to see this

    and all the things you have listed, a cheap adsl router may partially
    do, but there are way different standards of things.
    what adsl routers do dns caching?

    plus all these are limited in adsl routers.
    most hardware routers have _very_ limited memory
    2 or 4 meg roms, and that has to be unpacked into its usually 8 megs
    total memory, theres not much you can store in that, so everything is
    not that great quality.

    in smoothwall you can setup advanced iptable rules

    and then of course on a smoothwall you can run a newserver, mail server,
    time server, dont think you can do that on a adsl router..

    have you actually looked at ipcop or smoothwall or clarkconnect?
    i am guessing not

    Hmmm, Nov 1, 2004
  5. EMB said the following on 1/11/2004 19:53:
    > Hmmm wrote:
    >
    >> smoothwall includes
    >>
    >> spf firewall ***
    >> web proxy (squid)
    >> nat ***
    >> QoS ***
    >> some logging ***
    >> intrusion detections ***
    >> vpn
    >> dns cache ***

    > The average cheap ADSL router does all those marked *** above!

    But Smoothwall also gave me a DMZ for running other services in.
    Admittedly that was the only real thing it did over and above the router.

    --
    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 1, 2004
  6. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> spf firewall ***
    >>> web proxy (squid)
    >>> nat ***
    >>> QoS ***
    >>> some logging ***
    >>> intrusion detections ***
    >>> vpn
    >>> dns cache ***

    >> The average cheap ADSL router does all those marked *** above!

    > But Smoothwall also gave me a DMZ for running other services in.
    > Admittedly that was the only real thing it did over and above the router.

    quite a few of the DSL routers these days do DMZ too...
    heh, I have a wifi router that does all of the above, although it also
    runs linux, so umm, not sure what my point was.

    oh yeah... it depends on where you draw the line as to what is a PC and
    what is a router.
    I have my router on 24/7, but not my PC, and probably save myself
    somewhere near ~$60 a month in power.
    sure an old shitter of a PC running smoothwall probably wouldn't use
    that much power, but still more than a shitty little router.

    Get the best piece of hardware for what you want it for, for me, it's a
    wifi router ahead of a linux box doing it, for you, it seems the opposite.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 1, 2004
  7. John

    tatties Guest

    >>> The average cheap ADSL router does all those marked *** above!

    >> But Smoothwall also gave me a DMZ for running other services in.
    >> Admittedly that was the only real thing it did over and above the router.

    > quite a few of the DSL routers these days do DMZ too...
    > heh, I have a wifi router that does all of the above, although it also
    > runs linux, so umm, not sure what my point was.
    >
    > oh yeah... it depends on where you draw the line as to what is a PC and
    > what is a router.
    > I have my router on 24/7, but not my PC, and probably save myself
    > somewhere near ~$60 a month in power.
    > sure an old shitter of a PC running smoothwall probably wouldn't use that
    > much power, but still more than a shitty little router.
    >
    > Get the best piece of hardware for what you want it for, for me, it's a
    > wifi router ahead of a linux box doing it, for you, it seems the opposite.

    It used to be the case that the lrp leaf freesc ipcop smoothwall
    clarkconnect esmith was the way to go
    These days a cheap surecom from dse for $82 does dmz, a netgear wifi router
    for $148 at ascent is better still and a linksys wrt54g that will run
    sveasoft or portless firmware with all sorts of facilities is only $182
    I'd probably run a software router if I wanted auto dialing in which case a
    floppy would do or heaps of configurability in which case a regular distro
    with a firewall tool would be best.
    Smoothwall and the like have really had their day.

    tatties, Nov 1, 2004
  8. John

    Hmmm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> The average cheap ADSL router does all those marked *** above!

    >> But Smoothwall also gave me a DMZ for running other services in.
    >> Admittedly that was the only real thing it did over and above the router.

    > quite a few of the DSL routers these days do DMZ too...
    > heh, I have a wifi router that does all of the above, although it also
    > runs linux, so umm, not sure what my point was.
    >
    > oh yeah... it depends on where you draw the line as to what is a PC and
    > what is a router.
    > I have my router on 24/7, but not my PC, and probably save myself
    > somewhere near ~$60 a month in power.
    > sure an old shitter of a PC running smoothwall probably wouldn't use
    > that much power, but still more than a shitty little router.
    >
    > Get the best piece of hardware for what you want it for, for me, it's a
    > wifi router ahead of a linux box doing it, for you, it seems the opposite.

    I suggest you look at
    http://www.techreviewer.com/viewpage.cfm/pi/29

    "
    Based on these results, we can see that the average owner of a high-end
    computer system spends about $100 per year in electricity bills, if the
    computer is left on 24/7."

    thats us dollars, but i ran a meter on my decent pc recently and it
    worked out to about 10 dollars a month nz

    my smoothwall machine probably uses about 5 dollars if that.

    Hmmm, Nov 1, 2004
  9. John

    Hmmm Guest

    tatties wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message

    >>>But Smoothwall also gave me a DMZ for running other services in.
    >>>Admittedly that was the only real thing it did over and above the router.

    >>quite a few of the DSL routers these days do DMZ too...
    >>heh, I have a wifi router that does all of the above, although it also
    >>runs linux, so umm, not sure what my point was.
    >>
    >>oh yeah... it depends on where you draw the line as to what is a PC and
    >>what is a router.
    >>I have my router on 24/7, but not my PC, and probably save myself
    >>somewhere near ~$60 a month in power.
    >>sure an old shitter of a PC running smoothwall probably wouldn't use that
    >>much power, but still more than a shitty little router.
    >>
    >>Get the best piece of hardware for what you want it for, for me, it's a
    >>wifi router ahead of a linux box doing it, for you, it seems the opposite.
    >>

    > It used to be the case that the lrp leaf freesc ipcop smoothwall
    > clarkconnect esmith was the way to go
    > These days a cheap surecom from dse for $82 does dmz, a netgear wifi router
    > for $148 at ascent is better still and a linksys wrt54g that will run
    > sveasoft or portless firmware with all sorts of facilities is only $182
    > I'd probably run a software router if I wanted auto dialing in which case a
    > floppy would do or heaps of configurability in which case a regular distro
    > with a firewall tool would be best.
    > Smoothwall and the like have really had their day.

    yep for your average home user, they will do the job fine, if you are
    that much more paranoid about secueity and want extra features etc and
    the ability fo add anything you want and run it then software based
    systems are obviously the way to go.

    the statement they have had their day is far from the truth, the
    smoothwall and clarkconnect are getting even more downloads now, some
    people like quality i guess.

    Also the fact that software based routers can obviously scale more than
    a hardware router, as you can easily drop in a bigger hd, faster cpu,
    and more memory, hardware based router you are stuck with very limited
    memory so things are simply limited..

    and of course the dmz for most of these routers is a single ip, so you
    are limited to running one server on the dmz as far as i can see.

    Hmmm, Nov 1, 2004
  10. John

    EMB Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > But Smoothwall also gave me a DMZ for running other services in.
    > Admittedly that was the only real thing it did over and above the router.

    Yeah...the cheapie router does that too.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 1, 2004
  11. John

    EMB Guest

    Hmmm wrote:

    > show me a cheap adsl router that does decent qos, i really want to see this
    >
    > and all the things you have listed, a cheap adsl router may partially
    > do, but there are way different standards of things.
    > what adsl routers do dns caching?

    Most.

    > plus all these are limited in adsl routers.
    > most hardware routers have _very_ limited memory
    > 2 or 4 meg roms, and that has to be unpacked into its usually 8 megs
    > total memory, theres not much you can store in that, so everything is
    > not that great quality.
    >
    > in smoothwall you can setup advanced iptable rules
    >
    > and then of course on a smoothwall you can run a newserver, mail server,
    > time server, dont think you can do that on a adsl router..
    >
    > have you actually looked at ipcop or smoothwall or clarkconnect?
    > i am guessing not

    Yes I have, and I run smoothwall at a couple of sites (and another one
    to set up when I get back from a few days in Aus next week). However
    it's still a matter of horses for courses and the OP didn't give much
    info as to what he needed. If he's only a home user with simple
    requirements, not too many linux clues and wanting minimal hassle a
    cheapie router may well be the way to go.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 1, 2004
  12. John

    Hmmm Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Hmmm wrote:
    >

    >> show me a cheap adsl router that does decent qos, i really want to see
    >> this
    >>
    >> and all the things you have listed, a cheap adsl router may partially
    >> do, but there are way different standards of things.
    >> what adsl routers do dns caching?

    > Most.

    please be specific, I have never come across a router than can do QoS
    decently apart from cisco routers.
    If you can give me some brand names I would definately be interested in
    buying one as QoS is one of the main reasons I've got SmoothWall and its
    QoS module.

    Also can you direct me to a router that does dns cacheing?
    i have looked at several cheap routers and never seen this listed.

    >> plus all these are limited in adsl routers.
    >> most hardware routers have _very_ limited memory
    >> 2 or 4 meg roms, and that has to be unpacked into its usually 8 megs
    >> total memory, theres not much you can store in that, so everything is
    >> not that great quality.
    >>
    >> in smoothwall you can setup advanced iptable rules
    >>
    >> and then of course on a smoothwall you can run a newserver, mail
    >> server, time server, dont think you can do that on a adsl router..
    >>
    >> have you actually looked at ipcop or smoothwall or clarkconnect?
    >> i am guessing not

    > Yes I have, and I run smoothwall at a couple of sites (and another one
    > to set up when I get back from a few days in Aus next week). However
    > it's still a matter of horses for courses and the OP didn't give much
    > info as to what he needed. If he's only a home user with simple
    > requirements, not too many linux clues and wanting minimal hassle a
    > cheapie router may well be the way to go.

    Most people running smoothwall wouldnt even know its run on linux as
    they never go into the OS, only to the web interface, but agreed for
    your avg user that doesnt need advanced features and huge configuration
    and extra features etc a cheapie adsl router would do fine :)

    Hmmm, Nov 1, 2004
  13. John

    tatties Guest

    "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:4185e4f1_4@127.0.0.1...
    > tatties wrote:
    >>

    >> It used to be the case that the lrp leaf freesc ipcop smoothwall
    >> clarkconnect esmith was the way to go
    >> These days a cheap surecom from dse for $82 does dmz, a netgear wifi
    >> router for $148 at ascent is better still and a linksys wrt54g that will
    >> run sveasoft or portless firmware with all sorts of facilities is only
    >> $182
    >> I'd probably run a software router if I wanted auto dialing in which case
    >> a floppy would do or heaps of configurability in which case a regular
    >> distro with a firewall tool would be best.
    >> Smoothwall and the like have really had their day.

    > yep for your average home user, they will do the job fine, if you are that
    > much more paranoid about secueity and want extra features etc and the
    > ability fo add anything you want and run it then software based systems
    > are obviously the way to go.
    >
    > the statement they have had their day is far from the truth, the
    > smoothwall and clarkconnect are getting even more downloads now, some
    > people like quality i guess.

    > Also the fact that software based routers can obviously scale more than a
    > hardware router, as you can easily drop in a bigger hd, faster cpu, and
    > more memory, hardware based router you are stuck with very limited memory
    > so things are simply limited..
    >
    > and of course the dmz for most of these routers is a single ip, so you are
    > limited to running one server on the dmz as far as i can see.

    Oh shit, its a pissing match
    Some dude just wants a home thing, he doesn't have multiple ip numbers and
    heaps of servers and a spare pc to run it all on.
    Your pissing match favourites there are just builds of linux, a good
    firewall for someone with a bunch of servers would be better off using
    OpenBSD and pf

    tatties, Nov 1, 2004
  14. John

    Hmmm Guest

    tatties wrote:
    > "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:4185e4f1_4@127.0.0.1...
    >
    >>tatties wrote:
    >>

    >>>It used to be the case that the lrp leaf freesc ipcop smoothwall
    >>>clarkconnect esmith was the way to go
    >>>These days a cheap surecom from dse for $82 does dmz, a netgear wifi
    >>>router for $148 at ascent is better still and a linksys wrt54g that will
    >>>run sveasoft or portless firmware with all sorts of facilities is only
    >>>$182
    >>>I'd probably run a software router if I wanted auto dialing in which case
    >>>a floppy would do or heaps of configurability in which case a regular
    >>>distro with a firewall tool would be best.
    >>>Smoothwall and the like have really had their day.

    >>yep for your average home user, they will do the job fine, if you are that
    >>much more paranoid about secueity and want extra features etc and the
    >>ability fo add anything you want and run it then software based systems
    >>are obviously the way to go.
    >>
    >>the statement they have had their day is far from the truth, the
    >>smoothwall and clarkconnect are getting even more downloads now, some
    >>people like quality i guess.

    >>Also the fact that software based routers can obviously scale more than a
    >>hardware router, as you can easily drop in a bigger hd, faster cpu, and
    >>more memory, hardware based router you are stuck with very limited memory
    >>so things are simply limited..
    >>
    >>and of course the dmz for most of these routers is a single ip, so you are
    >>limited to running one server on the dmz as far as i can see.
    >>

    > Oh shit, its a pissing match
    > Some dude just wants a home thing, he doesn't have multiple ip numbers and
    > heaps of servers and a spare pc to run it all on.
    > Your pissing match favourites there are just builds of linux, a good
    > firewall for someone with a bunch of servers would be better off using
    > OpenBSD and pf

    haha, maybe you missed what I wrote, let me repeat it for you.., quoting
    myself here..

    "yep for your average home user, they will do the job fine"

    so if someone agreeing with you is a "pissing match" well id hate to see
    someone disagreeing with you heh

    anyway an old pc you can find for free sometimes, a lot cheaper than
    this hardware device, shrug.

    Hmmm, Nov 1, 2004
  15. John

    tatties Guest

    "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:4185f79e$1_3@127.0.0.1...
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    > please be specific, I have never come across a router than can do QoS
    > decently apart from cisco routers.
    > If you can give me some brand names I would definately be interested in
    > buying one as QoS is one of the main reasons I've got SmoothWall and its
    > QoS module.
    >
    > Also can you direct me to a router that does dns cacheing?
    > i have looked at several cheap routers and never seen this listed.

    http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/ uses http://lartc.org/wondershaper/
    thats why I got one, the wifi was a bonus
    The linksys routers use dnmasq for dns caching, like smoothwall ipcop etc
    http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

    tatties, Nov 1, 2004
  16. John

    Hmmm Guest

    tatties wrote:
    > "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:4185f79e$1_3@127.0.0.1...
    >
    >>EMB wrote:
    >>
    >>please be specific, I have never come across a router than can do QoS
    >>decently apart from cisco routers.
    >>If you can give me some brand names I would definately be interested in
    >>buying one as QoS is one of the main reasons I've got SmoothWall and its
    >>QoS module.
    >>
    >>Also can you direct me to a router that does dns cacheing?
    >>i have looked at several cheap routers and never seen this listed.
    >>

    > http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/ uses http://lartc.org/wondershaper/
    > thats why I got one, the wifi was a bonus
    > The linksys routers use dnmasq for dns caching, like smoothwall ipcop etc
    > http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

    ooh that is nice!, i might have to save some $$ :p
    has it been pretty reliable?

    Hmmm, Nov 1, 2004
  17. John

    Steve Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Hmmm wrote:
    >
    >> smoothwall includes
    >>
    >> spf firewall ***
    >> web proxy (squid)
    >> nat ***
    >> QoS ***
    >> some logging ***
    >> intrusion detections ***
    >> vpn
    >> dns cache ***

    > The average cheap ADSL router does all those marked *** above!

    My Speedtouch router is the decentest one I could afford a year ago.

    It doesn't even resolve mx records, so it's bog all use for DNS.
    As for QoS, don't make me laugh.
    Logging, no.
    Intrusion, no.

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 1, 2004
  18. John

    tatties Guest

    "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:4185fb33_4@127.0.0.1...
    > tatties wrote:

    >>>yep for your average home user, they will do the job fine, if you are
    >>>that much more paranoid about secueity and want extra features etc and
    >>>the ability fo add anything you want and run it then software based
    >>>systems are obviously the way to go.
    >>>
    >>>the statement they have had their day is far from the truth, the
    >>>smoothwall and clarkconnect are getting even more downloads now, some
    >>>people like quality i guess.

    >>>Also the fact that software based routers can obviously scale more than a
    >>>hardware router, as you can easily drop in a bigger hd, faster cpu, and
    >>>more memory, hardware based router you are stuck with very limited memory
    >>>so things are simply limited..
    >>>
    >>>and of course the dmz for most of these routers is a single ip, so you
    >>>are limited to running one server on the dmz as far as i can see.
    >>>

    >> Oh shit, its a pissing match
    >> Some dude just wants a home thing, he doesn't have multiple ip numbers
    >> and heaps of servers and a spare pc to run it all on.
    >> Your pissing match favourites there are just builds of linux, a good
    >> firewall for someone with a bunch of servers would be better off using
    >> OpenBSD and pf

    > haha, maybe you missed what I wrote, let me repeat it for you.., quoting
    > myself here..
    >
    > "yep for your average home user, they will do the job fine"
    >
    > so if someone agreeing with you is a "pissing match" well id hate to see
    > someone disagreeing with you heh
    >
    > anyway an old pc you can find for free sometimes, a lot cheaper than this
    > hardware device, shrug.

    Just winding you up ;-)
    I have a 2 NIC one modem 586 pc, it was fine, I took it HD out to keep the
    noise down and snipped its psu fan and used a Compaq deskpro heatsink.
    Thats been replaced by the little blue linksys box running custom linux
    firmware, highly recommended.
    The 586 is still running the LEAF router distro with ser2net as an
    experiment in rs232 over tcp/ip

    tatties, Nov 1, 2004
  19. John

    Malcolm Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm wrote:
    >>
    >>> smoothwall includes
    >>>
    >>> spf firewall ***
    >>> web proxy (squid)
    >>> nat ***
    >>> QoS ***
    >>> some logging ***
    >>> intrusion detections ***
    >>> vpn
    >>> dns cache ***

    >> The average cheap ADSL router does all those marked *** above!
    >>

    > My Speedtouch router is the decentest one I could afford a year ago.
    >
    > It doesn't even resolve mx records, so it's bog all use for DNS.
    > As for QoS, don't make me laugh.
    > Logging, no.
    > Intrusion, no.
    >
    > Steve

    Hi Steve
    What model? Have you upgraded the firmware..?

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Nov 1, 2004
  20. John

    tatties Guest

    "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:4185fea2$1_4@127.0.0.1...
    > tatties wrote:
    >> "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:4185f79e$1_3@127.0.0.1...
    >>
    >>>EMB wrote:
    >>>
    >>>please be specific, I have never come across a router than can do QoS
    >>>decently apart from cisco routers.
    >>>If you can give me some brand names I would definately be interested in
    >>>buying one as QoS is one of the main reasons I've got SmoothWall and its
    >>>QoS module.
    >>>
    >>>Also can you direct me to a router that does dns cacheing?
    >>>i have looked at several cheap routers and never seen this listed.
    >>>

    >> http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/ uses http://lartc.org/wondershaper/
    >> thats why I got one, the wifi was a bonus
    >> The linksys routers use dnmasq for dns caching, like smoothwall ipcop etc
    >> http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

    > ooh that is nice!, i might have to save some $$ :p
    > has it been pretty reliable?

    100%

    tatties, Nov 1, 2004