    friends within the development organization. When trial releases go
    outside the organization they are "beta" releases. So it is unlikely
    that we users will ever see a real alpha product.
    William W. Plummer, Oct 2, 2004

  2. William W. Plummer wrote:

    > I noticed that Mozilla 1.8 "alpha" has been released. But that's an
    > oxymoron. Alpha releases are internal only and are meant for trusted
    > friends within the development organization. When trial releases go
    > outside the organization they are "beta" releases. So it is unlikely
    > that we users will ever see a real alpha product.

    You CAN download an alpha release if you want to and give it a try, but
    its up to you. The current alpha is 1.8a4:
    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.8a4/

    Andreas

    To contact me remove the other name for "Canned Meat"
    Andreas, His Excellency, The Imperial Grand Pooh-B, Oct 2, 2004

  3. William W. Plummer wrote:
    > I noticed that Mozilla 1.8 "alpha" has been released. But that's an
    > oxymoron. Alpha releases are internal only and are meant for trusted
    > friends within the development organization. When trial releases go
    > outside the organization they are "beta" releases. So it is unlikely
    > that we users will ever see a real alpha product.

    You don't understand the concept of Open Source. The whole development
    of this product is conducted right out in the open. We are the "trusted
    friends"!

    Heck, if you want, you can see all the pre-alpha's. Just go to mozllazine:

    http://www.mozillazine.org/

    Upper left of the page, click nightlies and get the latest version,
    warts and all. Theyt usually work, and they usually have bugs, but
    anyone can see and use them. You can even download the source code and
    make your own version if you have the skill and interest.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 2, 2004
  4. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    > I noticed that Mozilla 1.8 "alpha" has been released. But that's an
    > oxymoron. Alpha releases are internal only and are meant for trusted
    > friends within the development organization. When trial releases go
    > outside the organization they are "beta" releases. So it is unlikely
    > that we users will ever see a real alpha product.

    No its not an oxymoron

    Mozilla, and Firefox and Thunderbird are all open sourced

    ALL development stages are available to anyone just for the downloading!
    You can get the daily test builds if you wish, the SAME ones the
    developers are using for development on their machines.

    OPEN SOURCE means YOU are part and parcel of the 'organization' in
    effect. YOU can test, you can even help program, all for the price of
    downloading.

    There are no 'hidden' releases of the products, you have available to
    you EVERY single build of the product, whether its bug free or not,
    whether its been tested or not, and an ALPHA product from Mozilla is an
    ALPHA product. You are INSIDE the organization, because its open source.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Oct 7, 2004