    --
    Pablo

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/

    Pablo, Jul 13, 2011

  2. In article <>, Pablo <>
    wrote:

    > Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
    >
    > What lens to take (or lenses).
    >
    > Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
    > 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
    > the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

    I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
    add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

    The bulky EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM also performs well at night while
    being a better general-purpose lens.

    I don't use the 10-22 in low light. Camera shake isn't an issue at 10mm
    but the lens isn't bright enough to see what you're doing in the
    viewfinder. Producing a decent perspective with it is hard enough
    during the day.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 14, 2011

  3. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Kevin McMurtrie escribió:

    > In article <>, Pablo <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
    >>
    >> What lens to take (or lenses).
    >>
    >> Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
    >> 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
    >> the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

    > I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
    > add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

    So might I, if I had one.

    My choices are thus:

    Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6
    Canon kit 18-55
    Tamron kit 70-300
    Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS

    Not exactly a professional collection.

    Pablo, Jul 14, 2011
  4. In article <>, Pablo <>
    wrote:

    > Kevin McMurtrie escribió:
    >
    > > In article <>, Pablo <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
    > >>
    > >> What lens to take (or lenses).
    > >>
    > >> Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
    > >> 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
    > >> the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

    > > I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
    > > add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

    > So might I, if I had one.
    >
    > My choices are thus:
    >
    > Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6
    > Canon kit 18-55
    > Tamron kit 70-300
    > Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS
    >
    > Not exactly a professional collection.

    Fixed lenses are inexpensive, lightweight, sharp, and bright. They can
    outperform zoom lenses that cost 5 to 20 times as much.

    Adding a large handle to your camera, like a folded up mini tripod, will
    significantly stabilize it. The angular inertia of an opened tripod is
    also an excellent stabilizer even if it's not touching the ground.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 19, 2011
  5. Kevin McMurtrie <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Pablo <>
    > wrote:

    >> Kevin McMurtrie escribió:

    >> > I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
    >> > add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

    >> So might I, if I had one.
    >>
    >> My choices are thus:
    >>
    >> Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6
    >> Canon kit 18-55
    >> Tamron kit 70-300
    >> Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS
    >>
    >> Not exactly a professional collection.

    > Fixed lenses are inexpensive, lightweight, sharp, and bright. They can
    > outperform zoom lenses that cost 5 to 20 times as much.

    > Adding a large handle to your camera, like a folded up mini tripod, will
    > significantly stabilize it. The angular inertia of an opened tripod is
    > also an excellent stabilizer even if it's not touching the ground.

    Or a monopod. That's why I often have a monopod on my camera, and
    often shoot without extending the monopod to touch anything. Simply as
    a big heavy handle with considerable rotational inertia it's an
    excellent stabiliser even before it's foot is on the ground.

    There's one area in which zooms hugely outperform fixed focal lengths
    -- catching unpredictable events. Often there's not even time to take
    your camera out of a holster bag, let alone extract it from a pack or
    change a lens.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 19, 2011
  6. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Pablo, Jul 28, 2011
  7. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    url:http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/sets/72157627152261199/detail/

    >> Eat you heart out Peter Pan.

    > Ah, OK, I assumed it was a night time event. What's the story with the
    > spider web, or am I interpreting that wrong? Anyways, you certainly used
    > the right lens.

    It was early evening. The sun was a bit of a pain, actually.

    The spider web was an old photo I had kicking about to replace the rather
    large rubbish bins. I decided that it looked a bit Peter Pan though, so with
    the later photos I just "adjusted" the depth of field a tad and left the
    bins etc. in.

    Pablo, Jul 31, 2011
  8. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Paul Furman escribió:

    > Pablo wrote:
    >> Paul Furman escribió:

    url:http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/sets/72157627152261199/detail/

    >>> Ah, OK, I assumed it was a night time event. What's the story with the
    >>> spider web, or am I interpreting that wrong? Anyways, you certainly used
    >>> the right lens.

    >> It was early evening. The sun was a bit of a pain, actually.
    >>
    >> The spider web was an old photo I had kicking about to replace the rather
    >> large rubbish bins. I decided that it looked a bit Peter Pan though, so
    >> with the later photos I just "adjusted" the depth of field a tad and left
    >> the bins etc. in.

    > :)
    >
    > Looking at one of the others, the exif says 120mm f/10
    > In hindsight, I would have used 400mm f/5.6 on your:
    > Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS
    > to soften the backgrounds even more.

    I've decided that the IS/OS doesn't work. Well, not for me.

    Pablo, Jul 31, 2011