almost a BSOD

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by housetrained, Dec 31, 2009.

  1. housetrained

    housetrained Guest

    Whenever I play a video and transfer music files at the same time I get a
    shut down with a note saying "computer has shut down to protect it. Hardware
    problem. seek vendor's advice" Trouble is I assembled it. On 32bit it
    restarts after the message:
    Windows has recovered from an unexpected shut d own
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    Os Version: 6.1.76002.0.0368.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional information about the problem:
    8CCode: 101
    BCP1: 00000031 _______ ___________
    BC P2: 00000000
    BCP3: 807C9120
    BC P4: 00000001
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_i
    Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Min idump\12270946848-01 .dmp
    C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-116111-0.sysdata.xml

    When I try to open the dmp files it says "access denied"
    Any help would be appreciated
    WIN 7 64bit (and 32bit)

    --
    John the West Ham fan

    <><

    housetrained, Dec 31, 2009

  2. housetrained

    Baron Guest

    housetrained Inscribed thus:

    Get and run "Memtest" <www.memtest.org>

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 31, 2009

  3. housetrained

    Paul Guest

    housetrained wrote:
    > Whenever I play a video and transfer music files at the same time I get
    > a shut down with a note saying "computer has shut down to protect it.
    > Hardware problem. seek vendor's advice" Trouble is I assembled it. On
    > 32bit it restarts after the message:
    > Windows has recovered from an unexpected shut d own
    > Problem signature:
    > Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    > Os Version: 6.1.76002.0.0368.3
    > Locale ID: 2057
    > Additional information about the problem:
    > 8CCode: 101
    > BCP1: 00000031 _______ ___________
    > BC P2: 00000000
    > BCP3: 807C9120
    > BC P4: 00000001
    > OS Version: 6_1_7600
    > Service Pack: 0_0
    > Product: 768_i
    > Files that help describe the problem:
    > C:\Windows\Min idump\12270946848-01 .dmp
    > C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-116111-0.sysdata.xml
    >
    > When I try to open the dmp files it says "access denied"
    > Any help would be appreciated
    > WIN 7 64bit (and 32bit)

    There is a tiny command line program "dumpchk.exe" that can
    read a small .dmp file and give a trace of what happened.
    (When I tried this on my collection of .dmp files,
    I wouldn't say it was very informative. Still, it gives you
    something to do with the .dmp files.)

    C:\Windows\Minidump\12270946848-01.dmp

    This package is 4.7MB or so. If you unzip the first level, you'll find
    cab files. Inside one of the cab files is "dumpchk.exe". I extracted
    it with 7ZIP, rather than install the package. dumpchk.exe is only 5KB.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8011FABF38&amp;displaylang=en&displaylang=en

    I copy the dumpchk.exe file into the Minidmp folder (that saves
    the hassle of updating the PATH environment variable).

    Then, open a "Command Prompt" (MSDOS) window, "cd" to the Minidmp folder and try...

    dumpchk 12270946848-01.dmp

    That should produce a bit of text with a trace of the
    calling routines etc.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 31, 2009