    Thanks

    Simon

    , Mar 27, 2007

  2. writes:
    >I have no idea or experience with cisco networking, but i am trying to
    >configure a cisco 837 ADSL router over a terminal connection. I need
    >to unblock port 22 to allow a new hardware spam filter to operate
    >correctly. I have no manuals or documentation as the last IT person
    >failed to keep everything. If anyone can help that would be greatly
    >appreciated.

    Cisco devices usually only ship with a barebones basic installation
    manual (ie. how to plug the cables in), because the CLI command set of IOS
    takes up a full bookshelf printed out.

    The last time I remember getting a full set of manuals with the device
    was with 9.x, for 10.x we had to ask for them. But all their docs are
    online on their website for any level of depth you want to investigate.

    You don't really say what your configuration is. (Cisco also doesn't
    come with a preset config, usually the installer does it all up from scratch).

    I'm assuming some sort of NAT setup, and you want to map port 22 of
    your single public IP on through to the inside?

    Something like

    ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.1 22 198.198.198.198 22 extendable

    should be added to your static NAT list to map from outside to inside.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 27, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Mar 27, 11:37 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > writes:
    > >I have no idea or experience with cisco networking, but i am trying to
    > >configure a cisco 837 ADSL router over a terminal connection. I need
    > >to unblock port 22 to allow a new hardware spam filter to operate
    > >correctly. I have no manuals or documentation as the last IT person
    > >failed to keep everything. If anyone can help that would be greatly
    > >appreciated.

    > Cisco devices usually only ship with a barebones basic installation
    > manual (ie. how to plug the cables in), because the CLI command set of IOS
    > takes up a full bookshelf printed out.
    >
    > The last time I remember getting a full set of manuals with the device
    > was with 9.x, for 10.x we had to ask for them. But all their docs are
    > online on their website for any level of depth you want to investigate.
    >
    > You don't really say what your configuration is. (Cisco also doesn't
    > come with a preset config, usually the installer does it all up from scratch).
    >
    > I'm assuming some sort of NAT setup, and you want to map port 22 of
    > your single public IP on through to the inside?
    >
    > Something like
    >
    > ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.1 22 198.198.198.198 22 extendable
    >
    > should be added to your static NAT list to map from outside to inside.

    Thanks Doug, that has helped a bit. Just one question... the numbers
    192.168.0.1 and 198.198.198.198, how did you get them?
    I have had a look on the cisco website. Im not familiar with configs
    of the modem. I didnt set it up, and i dont know how to retreive it.
    The whole reason i need to do this is because i cant setup the
    hardware spam filter without opening port 22 - the web based config of
    the spam filter needs this open.

    i know the ip address of the modem is 192.168.1.3

    > I'm assuming some sort of NAT setup, and you want to map port 22 of
    > your single public IP on through to the inside

    im pretty sure thats what i need to do.

    Thanks
    Simon

    , Mar 27, 2007
  4. writes:
    >On Mar 27, 11:37 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    >> writes:
    >> >I have no idea or experience with cisco networking, but i am trying to
    >> >configure a cisco 837 ADSL router over a terminal connection. I need
    >> >to unblock port 22 to allow a new hardware spam filter to operate
    >> >correctly. I have no manuals or documentation as the last IT person
    >> >failed to keep everything. If anyone can help that would be greatly
    >> >appreciated.

    >> Cisco devices usually only ship with a barebones basic installation
    >> manual (ie. how to plug the cables in), because the CLI command set of IOS
    >> takes up a full bookshelf printed out.
    >>
    >> The last time I remember getting a full set of manuals with the device
    >> was with 9.x, for 10.x we had to ask for them. But all their docs are
    >> online on their website for any level of depth you want to investigate.
    >>
    >> You don't really say what your configuration is. (Cisco also doesn't
    >> come with a preset config, usually the installer does it all up from scratch).
    >>
    >> I'm assuming some sort of NAT setup, and you want to map port 22 of
    >> your single public IP on through to the inside?
    >>
    >> Something like
    >>
    >> ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.1 22 198.198.198.198 22 extendable
    >>
    >> should be added to your static NAT list to map from outside to inside.

    >Thanks Doug, that has helped a bit. Just one question... the numbers
    >192.168.0.1 and 198.198.198.198, how did you get them?

    They are made up.

    192.168.0.1 is theoritically some internal private IP of your server
    that you need to do port forwarding into from the outside.
    198.198.198.198 is theoritically your external public IP address.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 27, 2007
  5. Martin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have no idea or experience with cisco networking, but i am trying to
    > configure a cisco 837 ADSL router over a terminal connection. I need
    > to unblock port 22 to allow a new hardware spam filter to operate
    > correctly. I have no manuals or documentation as the last IT person
    > failed to keep everything. If anyone can help that would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Simon

    check out http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/

    Its got a config wizard for the 837 and some good articles on the basics of
    setting up cisco routers

    Martin, Mar 29, 2007