    also would have expected it to just be a grayed out option rather than
    completely non-visible.

    What am I missing here?
    Rob, Dec 30, 2006

  2. "Rob" <> wrote in
    news::

    > It was my understanding that all I needed in order for my client
    > to be able to connect to WPA networks was installation of XP
    > SP2. I have long had that installed, but I am unable to connect
    > to a network with WPA (I do fine on WEP networks), and WPA is
    > not even an option in my configuration dialogs for Wireless
    > networking.
    >
    > The box is about 2.5 years old - a Toshiba sattelite with a
    > built in 802.11b card. It works fine, and I've considered the
    > prospect that the card doesn't support WPA, but not only did I
    > not think that WPA was card dependent, but I also would have
    > expected it to just be a grayed out option rather than
    > completely non-visible.
    >
    > What am I missing here?

    .... try the Toshiba support web site to see if there's an updated
    driver for the wireless adapter card.
    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Hi

    Windows Zero Configuration detects the capacity of the Encryption from the
    Wireless Card drivers. If the drivers do not support WPA, it does not show
    it as an option. Many of the 802.11b cards are WEP only, check Toshiba
    support some Brands offer firmware/drivers upgrades to some old cars.

    It is the 21st century No more Gray ;) ;).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 30, 2006
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I installed a new version of the driver, and that did indeed add WPA to my
    list. I then went to a WPA networked environement, and it was properly
    detected and I was challenged for the encryption key (what a mess to have to
    type in). After that, it would go into "aquiring", then connect, then
    immediately drop the connection, then go back to aquiring, then connect,
    then drop it - etc., etc., etc..

    Thoughts?

    Rob, Jan 5, 2007