Allow automatric installation?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Old Enough, Sep 27, 2007.

  1. Old Enough

    Old Enough Guest

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic31797.html warns against
    downloading spyware/foistware. Good idea, I'm sure!

    It recommends:
    "In Firefox, you can disable the automatic install feature this way:
    "tools tab", under "tools, options, web features", the
    default setting is "Allow websites to install software". Uncheck
    that."

    I have Firefox 2.0.0.7
    Under "Tools Options" I can not find an option "Allow websites to
    install software".

    Can someone help me find it?

    Thanks!
    _________________________________
    Old Enough
    to know I don't know a thing ....

    Old Enough, Sep 27, 2007

  2. Old Enough wrote:
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic31797.html warns against
    > downloading spyware/foistware. Good idea, I'm sure!
    >
    > It recommends:
    > "In Firefox, you can disable the automatic install feature this way:
    > "tools tab", under "tools, options, web features", the
    > default setting is "Allow websites to install software". Uncheck
    > that."
    >
    > I have Firefox 2.0.0.7
    > Under "Tools Options" I can not find an option "Allow websites to
    > install software".
    >
    > Can someone help me find it?

    Firefox doesn't install software. It only downloads them. I
    have no idea where the hell they got that information from.
    And I don't think it was there in the 1.5 series either.
    Maybe the 1.0x, but not current. I doubt it was there
    either, cause like I said, unlike IE, Mozilla products don't
    automatically install software. The only thing it does
    install is automatic program updates, and automatic
    extension updates, and only if you allow it to.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 27, 2007

  3. Old Enough

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:28:21 -0400, in message <>,
    Old Enough wrote:

    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic31797.html warns against
    > downloading spyware/foistware. Good idea, I'm sure!
    >
    > It recommends:
    > "In Firefox, you can disable the automatic install feature this way:
    > "tools tab", under "tools, options, web features", the
    > default setting is "Allow websites to install software". Uncheck
    > that."

    That feature never was about automatic installs.

    A. If that box was checked and you tried to install an Firefox add-on,
    you were asked if you wanted to install it and you had to give
    permission.
    B. If that box was not checked, you were unable to install Firefox
    add-ons from websites. You were not even asked for permission.

    > I have Firefox 2.0.0.7
    > Under "Tools Options" I can not find an option "Allow websites to
    > install software".
    >
    > Can someone help me find it?

    In 2.0.0.7, the equivalent setting is

    Tools -> Options -> Security
    [ ] Warn me when sites try to install add-ons.

    Click the help button at the bottom left of that options panel
    for more information about what the setting really is.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Sep 27, 2007
  4. Old Enough

    Old Enough Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:28:21 -0400, Old Enough <> wrote:

    >http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic31797.html warns against
    >downloading spyware/foistware. Good idea, I'm sure!

    Thanks, Peter and Ralph for your replies!
    _________________________________
    Old Enough
    to know I don't know a thing ....

    Old Enough, Sep 27, 2007
  5. Old Enough

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    Old Enough skrev:
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic31797.html warns against
    > downloading spyware/foistware. Good idea, I'm sure!
    >
    > It recommends:
    > "In Firefox, you can disable the automatic install feature this way:
    > "tools tab", under "tools, options, web features", the
    > default setting is "Allow websites to install software". Uncheck
    > that."

    It's not the default setting.

    > I have Firefox 2.0.0.7
    > Under "Tools Options" I can not find an option "Allow websites to
    > install software".

    Edit, Prefs, Security

    Gunnar Gren, Sep 27, 2007