Alleviating bouncy bed syndrome?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by HeyHo, Mar 1, 2008.

  1. HeyHo

    HeyHo Guest

    I recently moved to a new area and moved in to a house with a few cool
    people. I slept on the floor one night and the next night bought a cheap
    (185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress) bed setup without too much
    shopping. A friend reccomended the store because she bought a couch or
    something there, and they were able to deliver it within a few hours to get
    me off the floor.

    Well, I didn't try out the mattress, it wasn't a real mattress store, more
    so a general furniture store, so all the mattresses were just stacked up.
    They had a lot of them, all the same they said, so I just told them I'd take
    one. Turns out once I got the stuff and put it in the room, the bed is super
    bouncy :)

    It's not a pillowtop (I just know know what that means), and it's not so
    plush/soft like the bed I had before I moved, and this bed is pretty
    springy/bouncy. I'll use it for a couple months to get SOME use out of it
    and then sell it for what ever I can get for it and buy a better pillowtop,
    but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to alleviate the
    bouncyness/springyness, or not really?

    Thanks for any advice!
    HeyHo, Mar 1, 2008

  2. HeyHo

    olfart Guest

    "HeyHo" <> wrote in message
    >I recently moved to a new area and moved in to a house with a few cool
    >people. I slept on the floor one night and the next night bought a cheap
    >(185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress) bed setup without too
    >much shopping. A friend reccomended the store because she bought a couch or
    >something there, and they were able to deliver it within a few hours to get
    >me off the floor.
    >
    > Well, I didn't try out the mattress, it wasn't a real mattress store, more
    > so a general furniture store, so all the mattresses were just stacked up.
    > They had a lot of them, all the same they said, so I just told them I'd
    > take one. Turns out once I got the stuff and put it in the room, the bed
    > is super bouncy :)
    >
    > It's not a pillowtop (I just know know what that means), and it's not so
    > plush/soft like the bed I had before I moved, and this bed is pretty
    > springy/bouncy. I'll use it for a couple months to get SOME use out of it
    > and then sell it for what ever I can get for it and buy a better
    > pillowtop, but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to alleviate
    > the bouncyness/springyness, or not really?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!

    Keep your hands out from inder the covers
    olfart, Mar 1, 2008

  3. HeyHo

    HeyHo Guest

    ha ha ha!!

    But no, seriously, is there anything that can be done to improve this? I can
    see this making for some interesting intercourse, bouncy bouncy...

    The only thing I've seen people do to beds is put those egg carton cushion
    things on them; would that help my problem any, or am I best just using it
    as long as I can live with it until getting a new one?

    Thanks!
    HeyHo

    HeyHo, Mar 1, 2008
  4. HeyHo wrote:

    > I recently moved to a new area and moved in to a house with a few cool
    > people. I slept on the floor one night and the next night bought a cheap
    > (185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress) bed setup without too much
    > shopping. A friend reccomended the store because she bought a couch or
    > something there, and they were able to deliver it within a few hours to get
    > me off the floor.
    >
    > Well, I didn't try out the mattress, it wasn't a real mattress store, more
    > so a general furniture store, so all the mattresses were just stacked up.
    > They had a lot of them, all the same they said, so I just told them I'd take
    > one. Turns out once I got the stuff and put it in the room, the bed is super
    > bouncy :)
    >
    > It's not a pillowtop (I just know know what that means), and it's not so
    > plush/soft like the bed I had before I moved, and this bed is pretty
    > springy/bouncy. I'll use it for a couple months to get SOME use out of it
    > and then sell it for what ever I can get for it and buy a better pillowtop,
    > but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to alleviate the
    > bouncyness/springyness, or not really?

    Put a sheet of plywood under the mattress. I've done that for decades.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 1, 2008
  5. HeyHo

    Guest

    HeyHo wrote:
    > ha ha ha!!
    >
    > But no, seriously, is there anything that can be done to improve this? I can
    > see this making for some interesting intercourse, bouncy bouncy...
    >
    > The only thing I've seen people do to beds is put those egg carton cushion
    > things on them; would that help my problem any, or am I best just using it
    > as long as I can live with it until getting a new one?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > HeyHo
    >
    > "olfart" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "HeyHo" <> wrote in message
    > >>I recently moved to a new area and moved in to a house with a few cool
    > >>people. I slept on the floor one night and the next night bought a cheap
    > >>(185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress) bed setup without too
    > >>much shopping. A friend reccomended the store because she bought a couch
    > >>or something there, and they were able to deliver it within a few hours to
    > >>get me off the floor.
    > >>
    > >> Well, I didn't try out the mattress, it wasn't a real mattress store,
    > >> more so a general furniture store, so all the mattresses were just
    > >> stacked up. They had a lot of them, all the same they said, so I just
    > >> told them I'd take one. Turns out once I got the stuff and put it in the
    > >> room, the bed is super bouncy :)
    > >>
    > >> It's not a pillowtop (I just know know what that means), and it's not so
    > >> plush/soft like the bed I had before I moved, and this bed is pretty
    > >> springy/bouncy. I'll use it for a couple months to get SOME use out of it
    > >> and then sell it for what ever I can get for it and buy a better
    > >> pillowtop, but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to alleviate
    > >> the bouncyness/springyness, or not really?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any advice!

    Well if you are afraid of getting stuck with it maybe try exchanging
    it,

    I got stuck with one I really didn't want after the fact, I put a
    thick fluffy comforter down fist and a bedding item that helps keeps
    it in place and that helped, not sure about the effect on bouncy
    bouncy though. I think it would help
    , Mar 1, 2008
  6. HeyHo

    HeyHo Guest

    I have a box under the mattress, which is essentially a big box of plywood.
    I think it's just the mattress that has the super springs inside that's my
    problem. I'm kinda stuck with the mattress, and seeing as I wouldn't get
    what I bought it for if sold on craigslist, I'll just give it a shot for a
    while, but I would like to improve it if I can!

    Thanks for all your suggestions again!
    HeyHo

    HeyHo, Mar 1, 2008
  7. HeyHo

    VanguardLH Guest

    "HeyHo" wrote in message news:BX7yj.21768$...
    > I have a box under the mattress, ...

    And what is the REST of the product name for "box"? Box SPRING! So
    if you put hard wood underneath then there is much less spring action.
    If you use plywood, get some 3/4-inch stuff, or thicker. 1/2-inch
    still flexes.
    VanguardLH, Mar 1, 2008
  8. HeyHo wrote:

    > I have a box under the mattress, which is essentially a big box of plywood.

    Oh! I read that as a box spring. Never mind.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 1, 2008
  9. HeyHo

    Rôgêr Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > "HeyHo" wrote in message news:BX7yj.21768$...
    >> I have a box under the mattress, ...

    > And what is the REST of the product name for "box"? Box SPRING! So if
    > you put hard wood underneath then there is much less spring action. If
    > you use plywood, get some 3/4-inch stuff, or thicker. 1/2-inch still
    > flexes.

    Sounds like he meant "foundation" instead of box spring. If that's the
    case, it's pretty damned hard to begin with.
    Rôgêr, Mar 1, 2008
  10. HeyHo

    Rôgêr Guest

    HeyHo wrote:
    > I recently moved to a new area and moved in to a house with a few cool
    > people. I slept on the floor one night and the next night bought a cheap
    > (185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress) bed setup without too much
    > shopping. A friend reccomended the store because she bought a couch or
    > something there, and they were able to deliver it within a few hours to get
    > me off the floor.
    >
    > Well, I didn't try out the mattress, it wasn't a real mattress store, more
    > so a general furniture store, so all the mattresses were just stacked up.
    > They had a lot of them, all the same they said, so I just told them I'd take
    > one. Turns out once I got the stuff and put it in the room, the bed is super
    > bouncy :)
    >
    > It's not a pillowtop (I just know know what that means), and it's not so
    > plush/soft like the bed I had before I moved, and this bed is pretty
    > springy/bouncy. I'll use it for a couple months to get SOME use out of it
    > and then sell it for what ever I can get for it and buy a better pillowtop,
    > but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to alleviate the
    > bouncyness/springyness, or not really?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!

    Maybe have a fat woman sleep on top of you? Did you try contacting the
    store about a possible refund/replacement? If you still have the plastic
    it comes in (or they have extras) maybe they'd cooperate since now they
    have a new customer that's dissatisfied.
    Rôgêr, Mar 1, 2008
  11. HeyHo

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> "HeyHo" wrote in message news:BX7yj.21768$...
    >>> I have a box under the mattress, ...

    >> And what is the REST of the product name for "box"? Box SPRING!
    >> So if you put hard wood underneath then there is much less spring
    >> action. If you use plywood, get some 3/4-inch stuff, or thicker.
    >> 1/2-inch still flexes.

    > Sounds like he meant "foundation" instead of box spring. If that's
    > the case, it's pretty damned hard to begin with.

    Except he said, "(185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress)".
    Well, frame would be the foundation, box is the box spring, and
    mattress is just the mattress. He listed 3 items. Looks 2 of them
    are box spring and mattress.
    VanguardLH, Mar 1, 2008
  12. HeyHo

    Rôgêr Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>>
    >>> And what is the REST of the product name for "box"? Box SPRING! So
    >>> if you put hard wood underneath then there is much less spring
    >>> action. If you use plywood, get some 3/4-inch stuff, or thicker.
    >>> 1/2-inch still flexes.

    >> Sounds like he meant "foundation" instead of box spring. If that's the
    >> case, it's pretty damned hard to begin with.

    > Except he said, "(185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress)".
    > Well, frame would be the foundation, box is the box spring, and mattress
    > is just the mattress. He listed 3 items. Looks 2 of them are box
    > spring and mattress.

    Not really the way it works. "Foundation" is the industry standard name
    for basically what is a cloth covered wooden box which can be cheaply
    substituted for the more expensive box springs. The frame remains a frame.
    Rôgêr, Mar 1, 2008
  13. HeyHo

    Rôgêr Guest

    HeyHo wrote:

    > It's not a pillowtop (I just know know what that means), and it's not so
    > plush/soft like the bed I had before I moved, and this bed is pretty
    > springy/bouncy. I'll use it for a couple months to get SOME use out of it
    > and then sell it for what ever I can get for it and buy a better pillowtop,
    > but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to alleviate the
    > bouncyness/springyness, or not really?

    Think yours has a syndrome? Further reading:
    http://www.blueridgecountry.com/bounce/bounce.html
    Rôgêr, Mar 1, 2008
  14. HeyHo

    Spuds Guest

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:40:00 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >HeyHo wrote:
    >
    >> I recently moved to a new area and moved in to a house with a few cool
    >> people. I slept on the floor one night and the next night bought a cheap
    >> (185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress) bed setup without too much
    >> shopping. A friend reccomended the store because she bought a couch or
    >> something there, and they were able to deliver it within a few hours to get
    >> me off the floor.
    >>
    >> Well, I didn't try out the mattress, it wasn't a real mattress store, more
    >> so a general furniture store, so all the mattresses were just stacked up.
    >> They had a lot of them, all the same they said, so I just told them I'd take
    >> one. Turns out once I got the stuff and put it in the room, the bed is super
    >> bouncy :)
    >>
    >> It's not a pillowtop (I just know know what that means), and it's not so
    >> plush/soft like the bed I had before I moved, and this bed is pretty
    >> springy/bouncy. I'll use it for a couple months to get SOME use out of it
    >> and then sell it for what ever I can get for it and buy a better pillowtop,
    >> but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to alleviate the
    >> bouncyness/springyness, or not really?

    >Put a sheet of plywood under the mattress. I've done that for decades.

    UNDER the mattress?
    Damn, that explains the sore back...
    Spuds, Mar 1, 2008
  15. Spuds wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:40:00 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:

    >>Put a sheet of plywood under the mattress. I've done that for decades.

    > UNDER the mattress?
    > Damn, that explains the sore back...

    Cuts down on slivers, too. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 1, 2008
  16. HeyHo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:45:16 -0800, HeyHo wrote:

    > I recently moved to a new area and moved in to a house with a few cool
    > people. I slept on the floor one night and the next night bought a cheap
    > (185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress) bed setup without too much
    > shopping. A friend reccomended the store because she bought a couch or
    > something there, and they were able to deliver it within a few hours to get
    > me off the floor.
    >
    > Well, I didn't try out the mattress, it wasn't a real mattress store, more
    > so a general furniture store, so all the mattresses were just stacked up.
    > They had a lot of them, all the same they said, so I just told them I'd take
    > one. Turns out once I got the stuff and put it in the room, the bed is super
    > bouncy :)
    >
    > It's not a pillowtop (I just know know what that means), and it's not so
    > plush/soft like the bed I had before I moved, and this bed is pretty
    > springy/bouncy. I'll use it for a couple months to get SOME use out of it
    > and then sell it for what ever I can get for it and buy a better pillowtop,
    > but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to alleviate the
    > bouncyness/springyness, or not really?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!

    Sell it and buy a semi-firm mattress with a little bit of pillow top.
    Meat Plow, Mar 1, 2008
  17. HeyHo

    Rôgêr Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > Sell it and buy a semi-firm mattress with a little bit of pillow top.

    The term "pillow top" is completely, totally, 100% a marketing term. The
    mattress factory can build exactly the same mattress without that little
    sleight-of-hand pad on top using exactly the same materials at no extra
    cost but without that little bit of "panache". There's no extra comfort,
    no extra sleeping on a cloud, but it's all $ passing through the cash
    register.
    Rôgêr, Mar 1, 2008
  18. HeyHo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 15:14:57 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> Sell it and buy a semi-firm mattress with a little bit of pillow top.

    > The term "pillow top" is completely, totally, 100% a marketing term. The
    > mattress factory can build exactly the same mattress without that little
    > sleight-of-hand pad on top using exactly the same materials at no extra
    > cost but without that little bit of "panache". There's no extra comfort,
    > no extra sleeping on a cloud, but it's all $ passing through the cash
    > register.

    I used pillow top for lack of better terminology. I own a mattress that is
    semi-firm with a little extra padding. If it costs a few bucks more for
    whatever reason I'll pay it because that's what I want to lay on for 8+
    hours a day. I suggest shopping around and testing it out first.
    Meat Plow, Mar 1, 2008
  19. HeyHo

    Rôgêr Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 15:14:57 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:
    >>> Sell it and buy a semi-firm mattress with a little bit of pillow top.

    >> The term "pillow top" is completely, totally, 100% a marketing term. The
    >> mattress factory can build exactly the same mattress without that little
    >> sleight-of-hand pad on top using exactly the same materials at no extra
    >> cost but without that little bit of "panache". There's no extra comfort,
    >> no extra sleeping on a cloud, but it's all $ passing through the cash
    >> register.

    > I used pillow top for lack of better terminology. I own a mattress that is
    > semi-firm with a little extra padding. If it costs a few bucks more for
    > whatever reason I'll pay it because that's what I want to lay on for 8+
    > hours a day. I suggest shopping around and testing it out first.

    It's people like you that make the financial world go round. Not
    attacking, just observing. Have a good rest.
    Rôgêr, Mar 1, 2008
  20. HeyHo

    chuckcar Guest

    "HeyHo" <> wrote in

    > I recently moved to a new area and moved in to a house with a few cool
    > people. I slept on the floor one night and the next night bought a
    > cheap (185 for frame (not headboard), box and mattress) bed setup
    > without too much shopping. A friend reccomended the store because she
    > bought a couch or something there, and they were able to deliver it
    > within a few hours to get me off the floor.
    >
    > Well, I didn't try out the mattress, it wasn't a real mattress store,
    > more so a general furniture store, so all the mattresses were just
    > stacked up. They had a lot of them, all the same they said, so I just
    > told them I'd take one. Turns out once I got the stuff and put it in
    > the room, the bed is super bouncy :)
    >
    > It's not a pillowtop (I just know know what that means), and it's not
    > so plush/soft like the bed I had before I moved, and this bed is
    > pretty springy/bouncy. I'll use it for a couple months to get SOME use
    > out of it and then sell it for what ever I can get for it and buy a
    > better pillowtop, but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to
    > alleviate the bouncyness/springyness, or not really?

    Are you *absolutely* sure that none of the metal bits inside are broken?
    seems like the most likely explanation to me

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 1, 2008