All your phones are belong to us

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sailor Sam, Dec 30, 2009.

  1. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Sailor Sam, Dec 30, 2009

  2. Sailor Sam

    Mary Hanna Guest

    Mary Hanna, Dec 30, 2009

  3. Sailor Sam

    Simon Guest

    On Dec 30, 4:12 pm, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    > http://www.smh.com.au/technology/security/eavesdrop-fears-as-mobile-p...
    >
    > Hmm, I seem to recall that Telecoms XT network is some CDMA variant,
    > does that mean only vodafone is insecure?

    Yes, that is also my understanding from the technical documentation
    I've read. Telecom's WCDMA network doesn't fall back to the 2G GSM
    standard like the Vodafone network does.

    Simon, Dec 30, 2009
  4. Sailor Sam

    Richard Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > On Dec 30, 4:12 pm, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    >> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/security/eavesdrop-fears-as-mobile-p...
    >>
    >> Hmm, I seem to recall that Telecoms XT network is some CDMA variant,
    >> does that mean only vodafone is insecure?

    > Yes, that is also my understanding from the technical documentation
    > I've read. Telecom's WCDMA network doesn't fall back to the 2G GSM
    > standard like the Vodafone network does.

    Vodafones only does if you enable it on your handset to connect back to it.

    With them getting 900MHz in urban areas next year (finally) it remains
    to be seen how much of the GSM network is left to fall back to.

    Richard, Dec 30, 2009