All video-to-DVD recording not alike; help!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by knowhow, Jan 31, 2008.

1. knowhow

knowhow

Hi,

The DVD recorder I have (Protron) had a surprise in store: it turned out not to be designed to record from a VHS source. This is what their customer service people told me, much as I was able to produce VHS-to-DVD recordings. However, the source has to be "perfect" in order for the recordings to reliably duplicate the original.

Since this has been my only DVD recording experience, I hope some kind folks out there will help me with the benefit of their knowledge. When I make transfers from VHS, I'd like to be able to rely on a DVD result that reproduces the original. What the Protron DVD recorder does is pause whenever there is an unstable video signal, or if there is anything that is not "perfect" on the original VHS. If I were to make a VHS to VHS transfer, I can rely for the most part on making a valid copy, and this is what I'm hoping to do with my VHS-to-DVD transfers.

It looks like I'm going to need to get a DVD recorder that can do the job properly, but what I'm afraid of is that the next DVD recorder I buy will present me with the same problems, as at this point I can't know whether the problems I have had boil down to the Protron recorder's quirks, or whether the DVD recording technology is the same with all recorders, across-the-board.

If the technology does allow to make fairly reliable and accurate transfers, is there a reasonably-priced unit out there that any of you might recommend? I'd also like to learn about your experience regarding the level of quality one should expect in making VHS-to-DVD transfers.

Much obliged.

knowhow, Jan 31, 2008
    1. Advertising