    I wonder...

    how many acceptable images people can get out of a roll of transparency film
    with all this post production these days?

    vancouver, Nov 17, 2006

  2. vancouver <> wrote:
    : I wonder...

    : how many acceptable images people can get out of a roll of transparency
    : film with all this post production these days?

    The same number as before. There are always those who want to snap a photo
    and print the result and that's it. There have always been those who took
    photos and then spent hours in the darkroom to enhance or maximize their
    photos (or even combine images). The only thing that programs like PS have
    done is make such manipulation more accessable to more people.

    I had a B&W darkroom that I could tweek my photos in. Now I have PSE that
    has allowed me to do color and I can do the work without a safelight, a
    darkroom, or even a source of flowing water. True I am a bit more
    adventurous with my editing than before due to the non-destruct editing,
    but I probably would have graduated to more and more fancy editing anyway
    if I had the time and required equipment.

    So the photo manipulation has not really changed between film and digital.
    Just the tools and medium being maipulated have changed.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Nov 17, 2006

  3. vancouver

    Mike Russell Guest

    "vancouver" <> wrote in message
    >I wonder...
    >
    > how many acceptable images people can get out of a roll of transparency
    > film with all this post production these days?

    It's a fair question, and at the present time I would expect that some of
    the best photographers among us could still perform well, using old media.
    But mastery of the old eventually becomes an impediment to learning the new.
    Photography, above all else, has been a constantly changing medium with
    little patience for those who linger too long with the old techniques. From
    day one, each new photographic process has become cheaper, faster, more
    portable, and less chemically poisonous. Digital has been a quantum leap in
    all of these respects.

    In time -and it will be number of years yet - the number of people with
    access to film technology will dwindle to nearly zero. A few hardy film
    survivalists, with freezers full of emulsions will be all that is left.
    When that happens, slide film will be as irrelevant to current art as the
    daguerreotype, if not more so. Daguerreotypes may always be made manually,
    using readily available materials, while E6 emulsions and processing depend
    on massive technology.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/