"All The President's Men": DVD Doesn't Seem Right....?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by (PeteCresswell), Jul 8, 2006.

  1. Got this DVD last week and am wondering.

    ISBN 0-7909-3295-5 above the bar code and 12569 10182 below.

    Bought it at a major retailer so already I suspect that
    my doubts are misplaced.

    Having said that:
    - It has plenty of "language", but no PG dialog in the beginning.

    - It has no warnings/threats about unauthorized copying.

    - When I put it into a player, it just shows the movie... (geeze,
    what a novelty...)

    - Although the picture quality isn't atrocious enough to suggest
    something that was filmed by hand inside a movie theater, it's
    definitely a few notches below what I've come to take for granted
    in a DVD movie.

    Just sloppy work? Or is there really a chance that somebody could have
    slipped a fake into a major retailer's inventory?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jul 8, 2006

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > - When I put it into a player, it just shows the movie... (geeze,
    > what a novelty...)

    This is one of Warner's early releases. When you put the disc in, it
    just starts playing the movie. It has a menu, but you have to select it
    with the remote. Don't you wish every disc worked this way!

    , Jul 8, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >

    >>- When I put it into a player, it just shows the movie... (geeze,
    >> what a novelty...)

    > This is one of Warner's early releases. When you put the disc in, it
    > just starts playing the movie. It has a menu, but you have to select it
    > with the remote. Don't you wish every disc worked this way!

    IIRC, Warner since revisited the title with a "real" 2-disk version, if
    you want more professional-looking disk mastering.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 8, 2006
  4. Per Derek Janssen:
    >IIRC, Warner since revisited the title with a "real" 2-disk version, if
    >you want more professional-looking disk mastering.

    Would the video quality be any better - or is that some artifact of the original
    film?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jul 8, 2006
  5. (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Derek Janssen:
    >
    >>IIRC, Warner since revisited the title with a "real" 2-disk version, if
    >>you want more professional-looking disk mastering.

    > Would the video quality be any better - or is that some artifact of the original
    > film?

    Just about ANY recent Warner 2-re-disking looks better--

    Think of Warner's early birth-of-DVD disks like Disney's "Limited
    Editions"...Back then, they thought all you had to do was put the
    videotape copy into a new shape.
    (Need we mention, the new version also has menu and extras.)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 8, 2006
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:

    > (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > > Per Derek Janssen:

    > (Need we mention, the new version also has menu ....)

    The original version also has a menu, it just doesn't come up first.

    , Jul 8, 2006