    1. Advertising

  2. deryck  lant

    Ken Tough Guest

    Ken Tough, Jun 17, 2005

  3. "Ken Tough" <> wrote:

    > I gather the horizontal axis is "cycles per millimetre?"

    The horizontal axis is millimetres from the center of the image.

    > What is the meaning of S10/S30/M10/M30 ?

    S stands for sagittal, which are line, segments, which, if extended,
    would meet at the center of the image. M stands for meridional,
    which are lines tangential to sagittal. The 10 and 30 stands for
    line pairs/mm. The graphs show the percentage of contrast reproduced
    at infinite focus and wide open aperture. Especially for IF lenses
    and other "floating element" designs, performance will vary at
    different focal lengths.

    Whether these are computed MTF graphs (al a Canon), or measured MTF
    graphs (al a Zeiss) is unclear. The graphs are in-line linked from
    Nikon's Japanese site, and I don't think that site says anything
    either way. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.

    --
    Michael Benveniste --
    Michael Benveniste, Jun 17, 2005