    spam out. Our McAfee is updated and checks out to say all is well. Can
    someone please help. My roommate and I both have papers due this week.
    Thanks to all.

    Angelina Dunsforthe, Sep 11, 2008

  2. Angelina Dunsforthe

    Guest

    "Angelina Dunsforthe" <> wrote:

    >The CD and DVD sliders on our computers started sticking.

    Spray WD40 on a Qtip and swab the sides of the tray. - it's worth a
    try.;;;

    --

    Free Credit Report you see on T.V. is a scam as we all know.
    Here is a truly free credit report, it will ask for your SSN

    , Sep 11, 2008

  3. Angelina Dunsforthe

    Tony Guest

    I think you have it right. There's a new virus called the "sticky virus" which
    causes everything it comes in contact with to stick. Right now i've got "sticky
    keys" on my keyboard as the virus has taken control of my keys.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know proper
    manners

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 12, 2008
  4. "Angelina Dunsforthe" <> wrote in

    > The CD and DVD sliders on our computers started sticking. I have the
    > latest updates from Microsoft and 3 gigabytes of RAM so that can't be
    > it. My emails are working fine. The internet works fine but it might be
    > a little slow sometimes. Some friends said this might be connected
    > because the viruses are trying to get from the internet into the CD and
    > DVD players and send some spam out. Our McAfee is updated and checks out
    > to say all is well. Can someone please help. My roommate and I both have
    > papers due this week. Thanks to all.

    And with all that RAM, you all have got "issues"? Sometimes it's the
    simplest of things... You say "our computers" and you say your antimalware
    is both updated and your computers check out clean; so, it would be most
    doubtful that some rogue virus would attack several computers at once, even
    if on a small home or office network, and then attempt to do so via their
    CD and/or DVD trays and remain unidentified by a state of the art
    antimalware software like McAfee. (TIC) McAfee is OK, but I checked it out
    way back when and I seriously considered its update characteristics and
    program viral in nature and it was hard to uninstall all its components
    when I finally got fed up with it. Quite a few university networks
    continue to provide McAfee software for free, so their must be something
    good about it... Probably the free or low-cost part; but I don't suppose
    large network admins would stay with the software if it was giving too many
    problems... Who knows? Back to the problem at hand...

    Here's my conjecture : your house/dorm has a cleaning service and recently
    the crew did a "deep clean" where they moved stuff around to mop and/or
    vacuum and then put everything "back" - as best they could - or you had a
    burglar who almost got caught in the act who put everything back as best he
    could... Anyone notice any panties missing? LOL! JK! Been watching too
    many 'National Lampoon' style movies...

    Here's some steps to a solution : hold firmly the top of your PC's tan or
    black or grey box and try to wiggle that piece on the front with your other
    hand. Is it nicey tighty? It should be. It's very unlikely that more
    than one computer would would work loose at the same time. Those front
    facades are either snap-on on screwed on, depending on your flavor. If
    it/they doesn't/don't wiggle much, that's good. If it/they does/do, then
    you can have some friends with screwdrivers and other complicated tools
    come over and open up the cases to align and tighten them - and a good
    cleaning while they're there would likely be in order as well. The most
    likely culprit would be ferreted-out by hold the top of your PCs and simply
    try to rock them in place. My bet is that they both/all do rock and rather
    dramatically too. Best to use a level, but you can use a half-full clear
    glass or cup of water on top of the case(s) - but take great care not to
    spill any liquids around these units because you could damge the computers,
    but moreover, you could electrocute yourselves. You want these boxes to
    sit relatively level and firm. Take some peices of cardboard, or thick
    paper to use as shimstock (I actually cut 1-inch X 2-inch strips from used
    and cleaned bleach bottles) and place them under each loose corner of the
    bottom of your PC's case until the top of the case is both level and firmly
    seated with no wiggles left. You want those cases as rock-solid and level
    as possible!

    Now fire up your computer(s) (probably do 1 at a time) and use your CD and
    DVD tray buttons to open and close them a couple of times.

    Everything should work correctly now, but you might want to run full system
    scans just to reassure yourselves that all is OK.

    HTH. Best of luck. Stay in skool. And don't take drugs!

    --

    I *am* Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and *I* approved this message!

    http://bucky-breeders-foreplay.notlong.com

    Bucky Breeder, Sep 12, 2008