all-rounder lens for Canon 20D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hyperoglyphe, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. Hyperoglyphe

    Hyperoglyphe Guest

    I'm a novice seeking help.

    Having ordered the Canon 20D body, I now need a good general purpose lens.
    Most photos are of residential land developments with a max field of view of
    up to about 2000 ft. Most shots would be less than 300 ft. The lens should
    also be capable of photos of small installations, often in excavations 10 to
    20ft deep with low light. I rarely shoot anything from less than 5 feet.

    Just to mix it up, I also take aerial shots from either 500 or 1000 feet,
    with the subjects usually 200 to 1000 acres.

    Prices around the US$600 to US$800 are fine.

    I'm guessing a Canon EF 28-35 f3.5-5.6 IS USM would adequately cover all
    tasks, or a 17-85 F4-5.6 IS plus a wide lens of some form for the distance
    landscape stuff.

    I might be right off target with my choices, but the array of lenses
    available is bewildering. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

    Dave
    Hyperoglyphe, Jan 31, 2005