    3.wide angle with not much distorsion:)
    4.good low light performance: not too much NOISE when in dim light.

    I don't care about the price:) or brand:)

    cuscorules, Feb 16, 2004

  2. cuscorules

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, cusco2
    @canada.com says...
    > Yep, I know is an old question, but I thought I can get some good
    > advice here for a good camera.
    > 1. I travel quite a lot, so a DSLR is out of question, as it's too
    > bulky.
    > 2. I need something with at least 5MB, as I plan to print on 8x10 and
    > 10x12.
    > 3.wide angle with not much distorsion:)
    > 4.good low light performance: not too much NOISE when in dim light.
    >
    > I don't care about the price:) or brand:)

    I find the Sony V1 to be ideal for travel.
    Also the Fuji S5000.

    Both small enough for a coat pocket (but notfor a shirt pocket)
    Both have reasonable picture quality (The Sony has an edge there)
    Sony has 4x OPTICAL zoom
    Fuji has 10x OPTICAL zoom (need a ripod to use ALL of that)
    Sony is 5mp
    Fuji is 3.somethong
    Sony shoots iso 50/100/200/400/800
    Fuji shoots iso 200/400 (and 800 only at 1 mp)

    Downside for Fuji --- Expensive Xd-mmory cards
    downside for Fuji --- Fairly noisy images above iso 200
    Downside for Sony --- Memory sticks
    Downside for Sony --- Short battery life (80 or so minutes)

    Upside for Fuji-- Seems to run forever on rechargeable nimh AA cels

    Upside for Sony-- Higher picture quality

    I use these two as examples because I own one of each, but These are
    only TWO of many good to excellent SMALL point and shoot digitals from a
    half dozen manufacturers.

    Larry
    Mystic

    Larry, Feb 16, 2004

  3. cuscorules

    AArDvarK Guest

    I would suggest the current 5mp Minolta A1
    or the upcoming 8mp A2, they have higher ISO
    settings, long lenses and image stabilizing in
    the lenses, lots of kind features. I want one
    myself. See the review and samples of the A1
    here, http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm
    --
    Sincerely,
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 16, 2004
  4. cuscorules

    Guest

    (cuscorules) wrote:

    > Yep, I know is an old question, but I thought I can get some good
    > advice here for a good camera.
    > 1. I travel quite a lot, so a DSLR is out of question, as it's too
    > bulky.
    > 2. I need something with at least 5MB, as I plan to print on 8x10 and
    > 10x12.
    > 3.wide angle with not much distorsion:)
    > 4.good low light performance: not too much NOISE when in dim light.
    >
    > I don't care about the price:) or brand:)

    FUCKIN FOVEON!

    , Feb 16, 2004
  5. cuscorules

    Jaime Guest

    On 15 Feb 2004 21:53:50 -0800, (cuscorules) wrote:

    >Yep, I know is an old question, but I thought I can get some good
    >advice here for a good camera.
    >1. I travel quite a lot, so a DSLR is out of question, as it's too
    >bulky.
    >2. I need something with at least 5MB, as I plan to print on 8x10 and
    >10x12.
    >3.wide angle with not much distorsion:)
    >4.good low light performance: not too much NOISE when in dim light.
    >
    >I don't care about the price:) or brand:)

    If you do not mind a 4MB an Olympus C750 is a great camera.

    Jaime, Feb 18, 2004