All of Scotland to get Broadband

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bling-Bling, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. Bling-Bling

    Bling-Bling Guest

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/25/scotland_broadband/
    All of Scotland to get broadband
    By Tim Richardson
    Published Monday 25th April 2005 12:31 GMT

    Every community in Scotland will be hooked up to affordable broadband by
    the end of 2005 following a £30m deal between the Scottish Executive and
    dominant UK telco BT.

    As part of the deal BT - which is stumping up around half of the cash -
    will convert 378 exchanges giving 51,000 households and 5,400 businesses
    access to broadband. A further 21 exchanges in the Western Isles are being
    broadband-enabled via a publicly-funded wireless broadband project. Click
    Here

    Without the cash these commercially unviable exchanges would not have
    supported enough end users to justify the investment.

    Announcing the deal Enterprise Minister Jim Wallace said that the Scottish
    Executive was "stepping in" to help provide broadband where the commercial
    market won't deliver.

    "We made a commitment in our Partnership Agreement to ensure that every
    community in Scotland has access to broadband by the end of 2005," he
    said. "We are now well on the way to delivering on this.

    "We have made it clear again and again that economic growth is our top
    priority. By providing access to broadband technology in Scotland and the
    huge benefits it brings, we are putting in place an important business and
    educational tool to facilitate economic growth in every community."

    In February, Northern Ireland claimed to have achieved 100 per cent
    broadband coverage after public sector cash was chucked at BT to help
    wire-up commercially unviable exchanges.

    ==

    Bling-Bling, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Bling-Bling

    thing Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/25/scotland_broadband/
    > All of Scotland to get broadband
    > By Tim Richardson
    > Published Monday 25th April 2005 12:31 GMT
    >
    > Every community in Scotland will be hooked up to affordable broadband by
    > the end of 2005 following a £30m deal between the Scottish Executive and
    > dominant UK telco BT.
    >
    > As part of the deal BT - which is stumping up around half of the cash -
    > will convert 378 exchanges giving 51,000 households and 5,400 businesses
    > access to broadband. A further 21 exchanges in the Western Isles are being
    > broadband-enabled via a publicly-funded wireless broadband project. Click
    > Here
    >
    > Without the cash these commercially unviable exchanges would not have
    > supported enough end users to justify the investment.
    >
    > Announcing the deal Enterprise Minister Jim Wallace said that the Scottish
    > Executive was "stepping in" to help provide broadband where the commercial
    > market won't deliver.
    >
    > "We made a commitment in our Partnership Agreement to ensure that every
    > community in Scotland has access to broadband by the end of 2005," he
    > said. "We are now well on the way to delivering on this.
    >
    > "We have made it clear again and again that economic growth is our top
    > priority. By providing access to broadband technology in Scotland and the
    > huge benefits it brings, we are putting in place an important business and
    > educational tool to facilitate economic growth in every community."
    >
    > In February, Northern Ireland claimed to have achieved 100 per cent
    > broadband coverage after public sector cash was chucked at BT to help
    > wire-up commercially unviable exchanges.
    >
    > ==

    Bit of a stretch as adsl has a distance limit and scotland is rather
    sparsly populated.

    Though this is interesting in that Scotland has seen the importance of
    investing in broadband.

    here it looks like Telecom will default on its undertaking to get so
    many NZers on broadband and a decent % with 3rd party ISPs to avoid
    giving access to the local loop. Hopefuly this may now happen because NZ
    is being disadvantaged by a greedy monopoly and the Govn is allowing
    this to continue.

    regards

    thing

    thing, Apr 25, 2005

  3. Bling-Bling wrote:
    > Without the cash these commercially unviable exchanges would not have
    > supported enough end users to justify the investment.

    heh, so now the updated exchanges will sit there idle because there is
    no demand for it... oh yay, well done, thats a good waste of tax-payer
    money.

    Synaptic testing, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Bling-Bling

    d Guest

    In article <426d7f82$>, says...
    > Bling-Bling wrote:
    > > Without the cash these commercially unviable exchanges would not have
    > > supported enough end users to justify the investment.

    > heh, so now the updated exchanges will sit there idle because there is
    > no demand for it... oh yay, well done, thats a good waste of tax-payer
    > money.

    No,

    The few people in each exchange that want broadband will now have the
    opportunity to get it.

    BT was only enabling the exchanges once a certain number of people had
    pre-signed up for it.

    D.

    d, Apr 26, 2005
  5. Bling-Bling

    Steve Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > Bling-Bling wrote:

    [snip]>
    > Bit of a stretch as adsl has a distance limit and scotland is rather
    > sparsly populated.
    >
    > Though this is interesting in that Scotland has seen the importance of
    > investing in broadband.
    >
    > here it looks like Telecom will default on its undertaking to get so
    > many NZers on broadband and a decent % with 3rd party ISPs to avoid
    > giving access to the local loop. Hopefuly this may now happen because NZ
    > is being disadvantaged by a greedy monopoly and the Govn is allowing
    > this to continue.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Even though it's not cost-effective, remote access has always been at the
    forefront of the Scottish development board. Poplation levels are about the
    same as rural NZ. Watch with interest?

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 26, 2005
  6. Bling-Bling

    thing Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > "thing" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bling-Bling wrote:

    > [snip]>
    >
    >>Bit of a stretch as adsl has a distance limit and scotland is rather
    >>sparsly populated.
    >>
    >>Though this is interesting in that Scotland has seen the importance of
    >>investing in broadband.
    >>
    >>here it looks like Telecom will default on its undertaking to get so
    >>many NZers on broadband and a decent % with 3rd party ISPs to avoid
    >>giving access to the local loop. Hopefuly this may now happen because NZ
    >>is being disadvantaged by a greedy monopoly and the Govn is allowing
    >>this to continue.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>thing

    > Even though it's not cost-effective, remote access has always been at the
    > forefront of the Scottish development board. Poplation levels are about the
    > same as rural NZ. Watch with interest?
    >
    > Steve

    yep, I am hoping Telecom is forced to open up the local loop, then maybe
    we will see broadband little more than dialup, where its meant to be.
    Unfortunatley what this would do to Telcom's share price is sure to
    worry the market.....

    regards

    Steven

    thing, Apr 26, 2005
  7. Bling-Bling

    steve Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:

    > Every community in Scotland will be hooked up to affordable broadband by
    > the end of 2005 following a £30m deal between the Scottish Executive and
    > dominant UK telco BT.
    >
    > As part of the deal BT - which is stumping up around half of the cash -
    > will convert 378 exchanges giving 51,000 households and 5,400 businesses
    > access to broadband. A further 21 exchanges in the Western Isles are being
    > broadband-enabled via a publicly-funded wireless broadband project. Click
    > Here

    So the market failed and the government had to commission the construction
    of universal broadband.

    No surprise there....It's happening everywhere people have given up waiting
    for 'market farces' to deliver.

    Of course the Koreans didn't have to wait. Their government-owned telco just
    built it because the government wanted it built for the good of the whole
    country. Infrastructure and all that. The national interest.

    Years ago.

    steve, Apr 26, 2005
  8. d wrote:
    >>>Without the cash these commercially unviable exchanges would not have
    >>>supported enough end users to justify the investment.

    >>heh, so now the updated exchanges will sit there idle because there is
    >>no demand for it... oh yay, well done, thats a good waste of tax-payer
    >>money.

    > No,
    > The few people in each exchange that want broadband will now have the
    > opportunity to get it.

    > BT was only enabling the exchanges once a certain number of people had
    > pre-signed up for it.

    yep, once they were economical.
    no point in wasting tax payers money on exchange upgrades that are going
    to lose money.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 26, 2005
  9. Bling-Bling

    d Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > >>heh, so now the updated exchanges will sit there idle because there is
    > >>no demand for it... oh yay, well done, thats a good waste of tax-payer
    > >>money.

    > > No,
    > > The few people in each exchange that want broadband will now have the
    > > opportunity to get it.

    > > BT was only enabling the exchanges once a certain number of people had
    > > pre-signed up for it.

    > yep, once they were economical.
    > no point in wasting tax payers money on exchange upgrades that are going
    > to lose money.

    Exactly, makes commercial sense, but it's a bugger if you live in the
    sticks.

    Speaking of taxpayers, do they still own it? I thought it had been
    partially/fully privatised.

    I had a look at their site (which shows what a piece of shite telecom
    NZ's site is) but couldn't find who owned it nowadays.

    Closest I found was

    http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Companyprofile/Companyprofile.htm

    Anybody know?

    D.

    d, Apr 26, 2005
  10. Bling-Bling

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/25/scotland_broadband/
    > All of Scotland to get broadband
    > By Tim Richardson
    > Published Monday 25th April 2005 12:31 GMT
    >
    > Every community in Scotland will be hooked up to affordable broadband by
    > the end of 2005 following a £30m deal between the Scottish Executive and
    > dominant UK telco BT.
    >
    > As part of the deal BT - which is stumping up around half of the cash -
    > will convert 378 exchanges giving 51,000 households and 5,400 businesses
    > access to broadband. A further 21 exchanges in the Western Isles are being
    > broadband-enabled via a publicly-funded wireless broadband project. Click
    > Here
    >
    > Without the cash these commercially unviable exchanges would not have
    > supported enough end users to justify the investment.
    >
    > Announcing the deal Enterprise Minister Jim Wallace said that the Scottish
    > Executive was "stepping in" to help provide broadband where the commercial
    > market won't deliver.
    >
    > "We made a commitment in our Partnership Agreement to ensure that every
    > community in Scotland has access to broadband by the end of 2005," he
    > said. "We are now well on the way to delivering on this.
    >
    > "We have made it clear again and again that economic growth is our top
    > priority. By providing access to broadband technology in Scotland and the
    > huge benefits it brings, we are putting in place an important business and
    > educational tool to facilitate economic growth in every community."
    >
    > In February, Northern Ireland claimed to have achieved 100 per cent
    > broadband coverage after public sector cash was chucked at BT to help
    > wire-up commercially unviable exchanges.
    >
    > ==

    If this means ADSL, I wouldn't call it broadband. Just faster than dialup.

    Gib Bogle, Apr 27, 2005
  11. Bling-Bling

    Crash Guest

    d wrote:
    [snip]
    > Exactly, makes commercial sense, but it's a bugger if you live in the
    > sticks.
    >
    > Speaking of taxpayers, do they still own it? I thought it had been
    > partially/fully privatised.
    >
    > I had a look at their site (which shows what a piece of shite telecom
    > NZ's site is) but couldn't find who owned it nowadays.
    >
    > Closest I found was
    >
    > http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Companyprofile/Companyprofile.htm

    It appears to be a publicly owned company but descended (at least in part)
    from a government department.

    Some history details here:

    http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/BTsHistory/History.htm

    Crash.