    but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's just today that
    they're gone.

    Any ideas?
    Fraud alert!, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Fraud alert!

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:BkUcf.1911$om5.1142@dukeread04,
    Fraud alert! spewed forth:
    > I suddenly have NO printers installed--neither my hardware HP
    > laserjet nor my software print-to-pdf application. I went into
    > Printers and Faxes (empty) and chose "install new printer" and got an
    > error message that the operation could not be completed.
    >
    > I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a Windows XP update
    > yesterday, but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's
    > just today that they're gone.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

    (sorry - just had to do that)

    like an idiot.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Blinky the Shark, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Fraud alert!

    Plato Guest

    Fraud alert! wrote:

    > I suddenly have NO printers installed--neither my hardware HP laserjet nor
    > my software print-to-pdf application. I went into Printers and Faxes (empty)
    > and chose "install new printer" and got an error message that the operation
    > could not be completed.
    >
    > I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a Windows XP update yesterday,
    > but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's just today that
    > they're gone.

    Uninstall the update. If that fails, try going to a previous restore
    point.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Fraud alert!

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

    Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg and many offices
    had 16 meg or more installed ie 4, 4 meg simms, there was a gang that
    broke into offices in my area and took apart pcs to steal the ram and
    hard drives. One day they caught them, it was a small group of asians
    that came equipped with electric screwdrivers as one of their burgler
    tools. It was just funny seeing the picture in the paper showing the
    same Black n Decker drivers I had :)
    Plato, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Fraud alert!

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Fraud alert!

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On 10 Nov 2005 23:00:13 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

    >Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg

    Why, you young whipper snapper! I can remember when ram was $250
    for 16K.

    >and many offices
    >had 16 meg or more installed ie 4, 4 meg simms, there was a gang that
    >broke into offices in my area and took apart pcs to steal the ram and
    >hard drives. One day they caught them, it was a small group of asians
    >that came equipped with electric screwdrivers as one of their burgler
    >tools. It was just funny seeing the picture in the paper showing the
    >same Black n Decker drivers I had :)

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Barry OGrady wrote:

    > On 10 Nov 2005 23:00:13 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    >
    >>Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

    >>Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg

    > Why, you young whipper snapper! I can remember when ram was $250
    > for 16K.

    I remember when memory was...uh...when memory was...hell, I have no
    idea what magnetic core memory cost when I wrote my first program in
    1965. :)

    <bones creaking>

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Barry OGrady wrote:

    >>>Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg

    >>Why, you young whipper snapper! I can remember when ram was $250
    >>for 16K.

    > I remember when memory was...uh...when memory was...hell, I have no
    > idea what magnetic core memory cost when I wrote my first program in
    > 1965. :)
    >
    > <bones creaking>

    I remember there weren't any 1 GB DDR chips at Office Depot then. There
    wasn't even an Office Depot then. Hell, I had to wait 10 more years
    after that before I ever saw a VCR.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Fraud alert!

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> Help! POLICE! All my printers disappeared overnight!!!

    > Back in 1994/5 when ram was really expensive ie $25/meg and many offices
    > had 16 meg or more installed ie 4, 4 meg simms, there was a gang that
    > broke into offices in my area and took apart pcs to steal the ram and
    > hard drives. One day they caught them, it was a small group of asians
    > that came equipped with electric screwdrivers as one of their burgler
    > tools. It was just funny seeing the picture in the paper showing the
    > same Black n Decker drivers I had :)

    I don't remeber where it was, but I saw a report in some local paper where
    thieves had been cutting holes in the top of PC cases right over the
    processor and memory banks to get them out. Did the whole of the county
    council offices over christmas.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 11, 2005
  11. Fraud alert! wrote:

    > I suddenly have NO printers installed--neither my hardware HP laserjet nor
    > my software print-to-pdf application. I went into Printers and Faxes
    > (empty) and chose "install new printer" and got an error message that the
    > operation could not be completed.
    >
    > I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a Windows XP update yesterday,
    > but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's just today that
    > they're gone.

    LOL to the other comments :)
    Well, seems your spooler service got corrupted.
    Check your event log after you tried to restart the spooler service under
    the management - services application.
    Maybe you have to start in safe mode to be able to de/reinstall a driver
    that's been hosed by the servicepack.
    Walter Mautner, Nov 11, 2005
  12. Fraud alert!

    Frank Guest

    "Fraud alert!" <> wrote in message
    > I suddenly have NO printers installed--neither my hardware HP laserjet nor
    > my software print-to-pdf application. I went into Printers and Faxes

    (empty)
    > and chose "install new printer" and got an error message that the

    operation
    > could not be completed.
    >
    > I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a Windows XP update yesterday,
    > but the printers appeared to work fine afterward...it's just today that
    > they're gone.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    When you ran the update you broke all links with the old setup. re run
    printer setup and manually load the correct drivers. If this doesn't work
    Uninstall and reinstall printer software. Every time you do a major update.
    IE: Xp sp1- Xp Sp2 Things like this happen. Also when you ran your update
    I hope you disabled you anti-virus software. Runing anti-virus and doing a
    mojor update could have corrupted your OS (Windows).

    Allways disable Anti-virus, anti-adware, anti-spamware programs. Before

    Frank
    Frank, Nov 12, 2005