"All-Day" Mobile Computing From Dell?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MissSamanthaBewleyREMOVE@gmail.com, Jan 12, 2009.

  1. Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    Hello

    Re:Dell Laptops 15.4 inch Monitor Dell Lattitude E6500 and Dell 6400
    Battery Performance
    90 Watt AC adapter with cord wrapping
    4-cell, 6-cell or 9-cell extended life primary batteries
    84Whr high capacity battery slice (optional)

    Here's what I read from a pdf file I downloaded off www.dell.co.uk
    website

    "All-Day Mobile Computing From Dell

    Latitude Mainstream laptops introduce a dramatic step forward in
    battery life. Achieve up to 19 hours of Battery Life on the E6400 with
    the combination of our standard 9-cell battery,new high-capacity
    battery slice,and exclusive Dell ControlPoint (TradeMark)
    software.Stay connected with anytime,anywhere wireless connectivity
    with support for current and emerging wireless technologies (Wi-
    Fi,High Performance Wireless-N,mobile broadband Wimax Bluetooth."

    The Dell Sales agent said in real life these laptops manage only 9
    hours,these are obviously geared towards the business sector who need
    to be on the road all day still its nice to have :)whats the best
    battery life you can get on a 15.4 inch monitor for the retail home
    user

    Are Dell the only Computer Manufacturers that do these 9 hours
    extended life
    high capacity battery slice (optional)

    Apparently this technology has been around for the last 4 to 5 years
    its in the www.dell.co.uk (small business section) but it still seems
    very expensive have Dell got the Monopoly on this?
    Because I asked PcWorld.co.uk they said the max any laptop they sell
    in regards to Battery Life was 3 hours and that was been optomistic.

    I obviously appreciate it depends what you are doing on it i.e watch
    YouTube.com versus basic emailing.

    Are there any alternatives besides Dell that manage 9 hours battery
    life at a value for money price?.

    Thanks

    Samantha
    , Jan 12, 2009

  2. PeeCee Guest

    "" <> wrote in
    message
    > x-no-archive:yes
    >

    > Hello
    >
    > Re:Dell Laptops 15.4 inch Monitor Dell Lattitude E6500 and Dell 6400
    > Battery Performance
    > 90 Watt AC adapter with cord wrapping
    > 4-cell, 6-cell or 9-cell extended life primary batteries
    > 84Whr high capacity battery slice (optional)
    >
    > Here's what I read from a pdf file I downloaded off www.dell.co.uk
    > website
    >
    > "All-Day Mobile Computing From Dell
    >
    > Latitude Mainstream laptops introduce a dramatic step forward in
    > battery life. Achieve up to 19 hours of Battery Life on the E6400 with
    > the combination of our standard 9-cell battery,new high-capacity
    > battery slice,and exclusive Dell ControlPoint (TradeMark)
    > software.Stay connected with anytime,anywhere wireless connectivity
    > with support for current and emerging wireless technologies (Wi-
    > Fi,High Performance Wireless-N,mobile broadband Wimax Bluetooth."
    >
    > The Dell Sales agent said in real life these laptops manage only 9
    > hours,these are obviously geared towards the business sector who need
    > to be on the road all day still its nice to have :)whats the best
    > battery life you can get on a 15.4 inch monitor for the retail home
    > user
    >
    > Are Dell the only Computer Manufacturers that do these 9 hours
    > extended life
    > high capacity battery slice (optional)
    >
    > Apparently this technology has been around for the last 4 to 5 years
    > its in the www.dell.co.uk (small business section) but it still seems
    > very expensive have Dell got the Monopoly on this?
    > Because I asked PcWorld.co.uk they said the max any laptop they sell
    > in regards to Battery Life was 3 hours and that was been optomistic.
    >
    > I obviously appreciate it depends what you are doing on it i.e watch
    > YouTube.com versus basic emailing.
    >
    > Are there any alternatives besides Dell that manage 9 hours battery
    > life at a value for money price?.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Samantha

    Samantha

    The Dell 'Slice' you speak of is not anything new, many makers have offered
    such add on's before.
    Sales of these add on's however have historically been poor.
    Carrying a couple of spare batteries will do the same job and often
    cost/weight less than the add on.

    Laptop makers have been promising longer battery life since model #1
    In the real world though as long as the battery life was around 2-3 hours
    the Laptops still sold.
    So makers traded battery life for performance.

    There are Laptops that have long battery life, but they are usually in the
    'Road Warrior' class.
    i.e. smaller, lighter ,minimal extra's with slower CPU's & other hardware.
    The lower volume production of these laptops pushes the price up beyond the
    'value' class.

    The bulk of Laptop sales these days are in the 'Desktop Replacement' class.
    Most of these laptops spend 99% of their life plugged into the AC mains so
    battery life is not an issue.
    Consequently the higher volumes mean prouduction effiencies and better
    'value' spec for spec.

    At the end of the day if you want really long battery life go for a Road
    Warrior laptop and buy 1 or 2 of extra batteries.
    If 'value' is more important to you then buy a Desktop Replacement laptop
    and 3 or 4 extra batteries.

    Which ever way you go is going to be a trade of, price vs weight vs
    performance vs battery life.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jan 13, 2009