All computers accessing a single Outlook Express account?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by dstvns, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. dstvns

    dstvns Guest

    Hi,

    I've been toying around with the idea of a single Outlook Express
    incoming e-mail folder. I was hoping to get 4 separate PCs to share
    the same folder on one computer. I was hoping they could share it
    through network neighborhood. This would allow each computer to have
    its own Outlook Express program, but they all shared the same e-mail
    folders, therefore various incoming e-mails would not be spread all
    across the office on different computers.

    The main folder would be local to the internet-connected (dial-up)
    computer, so in case of network problems e-mail would still be
    accessible there. However, I've been having difficulty in changing
    over to the shared account so that each PC can share the same folder.
    I believe the proper shared folder would be something like this:

    \\MainComp\WINDOWS\Application
    Data\Identities\{329074109721\Microsoft\Outlook Express

    How would I link the separate Outlook Express programs to this exact
    shared folder? Synchronizing? Would I need to edit the registry?
    If someone can point me toward the proper registry entry I would
    greatly appreciate it, thanks very much,

    Dan

    dstvns, Feb 24, 2004

  2. dstvns

    jim6538 Guest

    If your OS is Win2k you can use DFS. Share the folder as the DFS root
    and link everyone else's to it.

    jim6538, Feb 25, 2004

  3. dstvns

    dstvns Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:56:42 GMT, jim6538
    <jim6538<NOSPAM>@nebutel.com> wrote:

    >If your OS is Win2k you can use DFS. Share the folder as the DFS root
    >and link everyone else's to it.

    Sadly, it's not. However, I did find the field in the registry that I
    was searching for:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\<long security
    code>\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Store Root value

    This looks like the field which decides where all the mail goes. If I
    can re-align this field on the client computers and share the same
    folder with no resource conflicts arising (ie Outlook crashing on
    everyones computers when the same folder is accessed at the same time
    ;P ), then it would be awesome :)

    Dan

    dstvns, Feb 26, 2004
  4. dstvns

    GoGators Guest

    "dstvns" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:56:42 GMT, jim6538
    > <jim6538<NOSPAM>@nebutel.com> wrote:
    >
    > >If your OS is Win2k you can use DFS. Share the folder as the DFS root
    > >and link everyone else's to it.

    > Sadly, it's not. However, I did find the field in the registry that I
    > was searching for:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\<long security
    > code>\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Store Root value
    >
    > This looks like the field which decides where all the mail goes. If I
    > can re-align this field on the client computers and share the same
    > folder with no resource conflicts arising (ie Outlook crashing on
    > everyones computers when the same folder is accessed at the same time
    > ;P ), then it would be awesome :)
    >
    > Dan

    uh...why not just go into Outlook Express, Tools, Options, Maintenance,
    Store Folder, Change and point it to a mapped drive?

    GoGators

    GoGators, Feb 26, 2004
  5. dstvns

    dstvns Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:22:58 GMT, "GoGators" <>
    wrote:

    >uh...why not just go into Outlook Express, Tools, Options, Maintenance,
    >Store Folder, Change and point it to a mapped drive?

    :)
    That will work. I just couldn't find it in the options tabs. Thanks,

    Dan

    dstvns, Feb 27, 2004