    recongized, however once I'm into x64 the RAM shown on the System Properties
    screen (and Task Manager performance) is only 2.75. How can I access the
    rest of this RAM?

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Thats strange, I know this happens on 32 Bit XP. Have you updated your BIOS?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 26, 2005

  3. davision wrote:

    > When the computer first starts the boot screens show all 4 GB of
    > ram are recongized, however once I'm into x64 the RAM shown on
    > the System Properties screen (and Task Manager performance) is
    > only 2.75.

    Hmm, now I'm nervous how my installation of WinXP Pro X64 will
    handle 4 GB, because I have ordered 2 GB more last week.

    <http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=xpx64&page=3>
    shows that x64 should be able to detect it.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Thanks what I was reading it from also.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 26, 2005
  5. Bios->NorthBridge: Memory Hole remapping by sofware -> ENABLED.

    et voila: 4 GB.

    --
    Jose Manuel Tella Llop
    MVP - Windows

    Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase,
    y no otorga ningún derecho.

    rights.
    You assume all risk for your use.

    JM Tella Llop [MVP Windows], Jun 26, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Can't speak for the Tyan board (I avoid 'em) but on my Asus K8N-DL, 4 GB RAM
    is present, and 4 GB is reported by x64 Edition.

    M. Murcek, Jun 27, 2005
  7. Yeah - that's it -- the memory hole. Don't worry fellas... it supports 4 GB.
    I changed the memory hole setting in BIOS to Hardware (although Software
    probably works too). I think that the BIOS was reserving 1.25 gb for my
    nearly empty PCI slots.

    Easy fix.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=, Jun 27, 2005
  8. M. Murcek wrote:

    > Can't speak for the Tyan board (I avoid 'em) but on my Asus
    > K8N-DL, 4 GB RAM is present, and 4 GB is reported by x64
    > Edition.

    Okay. Mine is a NCCH-DL board (also from Asus).

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 27, 2005
  9. Windows XP x64 Edition supports up to 128GB ; on top of the 4GB space, there
    is some Hypertransport configuation space, which yields in some cases 3.9 GB
    on boards populated with 4GB.
    Note that the software hole remapping might be an issue if you do DMA IOMMU
    calls above 4GB ; you'll feel like an Intel user...

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 27, 2005
  10. davision wrote:

    > I changed the memory hole setting in BIOS to Hardware (although
    > Software probably works too).

    I sure hope that my motherboard supports 4 GB "out of the box"
    because I can't find a memory hole setting in BIOS.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 27, 2005
  11. Thomas G. Madsen wrote:

    > I sure hope that my motherboard supports 4 GB "out of the box"
    > because I can't find a memory hole setting in BIOS.

    Well, it doesn't. BIOS only shows 3.5 GB and so does WinXP x86
    and x64.

    I have just found these words in the manual:
    "When all four sockets are populated with 1GB DIMMs (total 4GB),
    the system may detect only about 3.6+ GB (less than 4 GB) due
    to resource allocation of onboard devices".

    I can't understand why onboard devices need so much RAM allocated.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 29, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

    Sean M Guest

    Aren't those high addresses where PCI devices typically memory-map their
    I/O?

    -- Sean M

    Sean M, Jun 29, 2005
  13. Sean M wrote:

    > Aren't those high addresses where PCI devices typically
    > memory-map their I/O?

    I don't know. Maybe, but I don't have one single PCI device.
    The only non-onboard device I have, is my AGP graphic card.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 29, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

    Sean M Guest

    The same thing applies to AGP devices -- particularly graphics cards as they
    tend to map the framebuffer to a high region of x86 address space.

    -- Sean M

    Sean M, Jun 29, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Ever wonder why the thing you mention happening, happen with any amount of
    memory installed, not just with 4 gig installed? :)

    John Barnes, Jun 29, 2005
  16. Sean M wrote:

    > The same thing applies to AGP devices -- particularly graphics
    > cards as they tend to map the framebuffer to a high region of
    > x86 address space.

    Hmm, I'm not very fond of having almost 512 MB RAM, that I can't
    use anyway, so at the moment I'm considering taking out two of the
    1 GB modules from my PC and changing them with 2 x 512 MB modules
    from my Apple G5. That should give me 3 GB RAM in my PC and 2,25
    GB in the G5. In my opinion it's better than having 4 GB installed
    in my PC but only 3.5 GB available.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 29, 2005
  17. John Barnes wrote:

    > Ever wonder why the thing you mention happening, happen with any
    > amount of memory installed, not just with 4 gig installed? :)

    I sure wonder why :)

    Maybe I'm just stupid but I can't understand why I can have 2 GB RAM
    available, both in BIOS and Windows, with 2 GB installed, 3 GB RAM
    available with 3 GB installed (which I have at the moment) but only
    3.5 GB with 4 GB installed.

    The system allocates about 512 MB RAM to onboard devices with 4 GB
    RAM installed but does it mean that it's allocating nothing when
    there's only 2 or 3 GB installed for instance?

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 29, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aXNpb24=?=

    Sean M Guest

    It's not allocating any memory either way, it's giving the card(s) a block
    of memory for DMA operations. This causes the "memory hole" that you are
    experiencing, as any attempt to use that high-memory adddress will be
    remapped to the card.

    -- Sean M

    Sean M, Jun 29, 2005
  19. Sean M wrote:

    > It's not allocating any memory either way, it's giving the
    > card(s) a block of memory for DMA operations.

    Ahh, okay.

    > This causes the "memory hole" that you are experiencing, as any
    > attempt to use that high-memory adddress will be remapped to the
    > card.

    And the 'Memory Hole remapping by sofware -> ENABLE' setting tells
    Windows to manage that block instead of BIOS, or something like that?

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 29, 2005
  20. Thomas G. Madsen wrote:

    > And the 'Memory Hole remapping by sofware -> ENABLE' setting
    > tells Windows to manage that block instead of BIOS, or something
    > like that?

    Here's an answer from Asus support.

    | This situation is caused by Intel 82875P MCH limitation and
    | other motherboards with memory hole remapping setting are
    | installed Intel 7xxx series MCH.

    I guess it means, that I'll never get a memory hole remapping
    feature on this motherboard, because of the 82875P northbridge
    limitation.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen