Alienware and slow computers

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ernie Werbel, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. Ernie Werbel

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Good morning,

    I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
    seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
    used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some new
    computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC back in
    December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran fine for
    the first week. But even after installing only minimal software (the usual
    office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than mollasses
    flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and takes about
    five minutes before I can start using it. I have run defrag/scandisk/Norton
    and it is still slow.

    At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I would
    like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a new
    Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it. If I am
    to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it to work
    flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least five
    years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.

    Thanks anyone for your time and response

    Ernie
    Ernie Werbel, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Ernie Werbel

    Paul Guest

    Ernie Werbel wrote:
    > Good morning,
    >
    > I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
    > seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
    > used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some new
    > computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC back in
    > December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran fine for
    > the first week. But even after installing only minimal software (the usual
    > office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than mollasses
    > flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and takes about
    > five minutes before I can start using it. I have run defrag/scandisk/Norton
    > and it is still slow.
    >
    > At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I would
    > like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a new
    > Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it. If I am
    > to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it to work
    > flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least five
    > years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.
    >
    > Thanks anyone for your time and response
    >
    > Ernie

    http://www.epinions.com/Alienware_PC_Systems_Online_Stores_Services

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Ernie Werbel

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:evvvfa$mjj$...
    > Ernie Werbel wrote:
    >> Good morning,
    >>
    >> I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
    >> seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
    >> used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some
    >> new computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC
    >> back in December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran
    >> fine for the first week. But even after installing only minimal software
    >> (the usual office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than
    >> mollasses flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and
    >> takes about five minutes before I can start using it. I have run
    >> defrag/scandisk/Norton and it is still slow.
    >>
    >> At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I
    >> would like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a
    >> new Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it.
    >> If I am to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it
    >> to work flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least
    >> five years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.
    >>
    >> Thanks anyone for your time and response
    >>
    >> Ernie

    > http://www.epinions.com/Alienware_PC_Systems_Online_Stores_Services
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for the link, Paul. After reading some of these I think I will hold
    off for a while longer!

    Ernie
    Ernie Werbel, Apr 16, 2007
  4. Ernie Werbel

    Robert Baer Guest

    Ernie Werbel wrote:
    > Good morning,
    >
    > I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
    > seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
    > used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some new
    > computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC back in
    > December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran fine for
    > the first week. But even after installing only minimal software (the usual
    > office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than mollasses
    > flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and takes about
    > five minutes before I can start using it. I have run defrag/scandisk/Norton
    > and it is still slow.
    >
    > At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I would
    > like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a new
    > Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it. If I am
    > to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it to work
    > flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least five
    > years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.
    >
    > Thanks anyone for your time and response
    >
    > Ernie

    There are at least two major factors why it is slow: 1) you are using
    XP - use Win2K instead or better yet Win98SE; 2) Norton AV is a pig
    running on that pig and is a POS - use AVG instead; 3) you undoubtedly
    have the "call home" feature turned on - turn off and disable *all*
    so-called automatic updates (you may have up to 6 of these programs
    running "in the background). Do that manually for anti spyware and AV
    software only; leave the OS alone as at least half of the "updates" from
    M$ are worse than not having any at all.
    Robert Baer, Apr 16, 2007
  5. Ernie Werbel

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <m5MUh.22075$>,
    Robert Baer <> writes
    >Ernie Werbel wrote:
    >> Good morning,
    >>
    >> I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
    >> seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
    >> used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some new
    >> computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC back in
    >> December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran fine for
    >> the first week. But even after installing only minimal software (the usual
    >> office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than mollasses
    >> flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and takes about
    >> five minutes before I can start using it. I have run defrag/scandisk/Norton
    >> and it is still slow.
    >>
    >> At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I would
    >> like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a new
    >> Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it. If I am
    >> to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it to work
    >> flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least five
    >> years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.
    >>
    >> Thanks anyone for your time and response
    >>
    >> Ernie
    >>

    > There are at least two major factors why it is slow: 1) you are using
    >XP - use Win2K instead

    Yep Win 2K was the best prog that Microsoft ever produced:)

    >or better yet Win98SE;

    Nah full of memory leak problems etc was glad to see the back of it!.

    >2) Norton AV is a pig
    >running on that pig and is a POS - use AVG instead;

    Yep agree on that!.

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Apr 16, 2007