    the Aliens Legacy box set, but I did not get the supplimental 5th disk in
    time when it was offered so my question is this: is there anything on this
    SE that warrants a purchase or will my AL version of Aliens do just fine? :)
    J. Balsamo, Aug 29, 2004

  2. J. Balsamo wrote:
    > I was in CC today and noticed there is yet another Aliens SE out. Now I
    > have the Aliens Legacy box set, but I did not get the supplimental 5th
    > disk in time when it was offered so my question is this: is there
    > anything on this SE that warrants a purchase or will my AL version of
    > Aliens do just fine? :)

    See <http://www.google.com/groups?selm=1cxzbw8599ru1%24.dlg%40snernce.com>
    for a listing of features from the original _Alien Legacy_ set that didn't
    make it into the _Alien Quadrilogy_ set.

    HTH,

    doug

    --
    "...like a kind of spider half inclined to free you..."
    --Robyn Hitchcock
    Douglas Bailey, Aug 29, 2004

  3. J. Balsamo

    J. Balsamo Guest

    This particular Aliens set was not the Quadrilogy, but it was a Special
    Edition Aliens 2disc set...that appeared to be recently released...

    J. Balsamo, Aug 29, 2004
  4. J. Balsamo

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    J. Balsamo wrote:

    > This particular Aliens set was not the Quadrilogy, but it was a Special
    > Edition Aliens 2disc set...that appeared to be recently released...

    As I understand it,this two disk set was the two disks from the Quadrilogy.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Dick Sidbury wrote:
    > J. Balsamo wrote:
    >> Douglas Bailey wrote:
    >>> See <http://www.google.com/groups?selm=1cxzbw8599ru1%24.dlg%40snernce.com>
    >>> for a listing of features from the original _Alien Legacy_ set that
    >>> didn't make it into the _Alien Quadrilogy_ set.

    >> This particular Aliens set was not the Quadrilogy, but it was a Special
    >> Edition Aliens 2disc set...that appeared to be recently released...

    > As I understand it,this two disk set was the two disks from the
    > Quadrilogy.

    Dick's correct: the two-disc _Aliens_ SE that's on the shelf now (as of
    January 2004) has the same two discs that appear in the _Alien Quadrilogy_
    set. Which means you miss out on a couple of minor _Aliens_-related
    features on the bonus ninth DVD from the _AQ_ set.

    doug

    --
    "Kiss the arse of Uncle Sam; oh, to be an Englishman..."
    --Killing Joke
    Douglas Bailey, Aug 29, 2004
  6. J. Balsamo

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > Dick's correct: the two-disc _Aliens_ SE that's on the shelf now (as

    of
    > January 2004) has the same two discs that appear in the _Alien

    Quadrilogy_
    > set. Which means you miss out on a couple of minor _Aliens_-related
    > features on the bonus ninth DVD from the _AQ_ set.

    On the plus side, by purchasing the four separate 2-disc SEs instead of
    the whole box, you get less flimsy packaging and don't have to cringe in
    shame every time you look over to your DVD shelf and see the stupid made
    up word "Quadrilogy".
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > On the plus side, by purchasing the four separate 2-disc SEs instead
    > of the whole box, you get less flimsy packaging and don't have to
    > cringe in shame every time you look over to your DVD shelf and see
    > the stupid made up word "Quadrilogy".

    On the downside however you do actually spend a few more dollars
    to buy the seperately, plus you don't get the bonus ninth disc.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 30, 2004
  8. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > Douglas Bailey wrote:
    >> ...the two-disc _Aliens_ SE that's on the shelf now (as of January 2004)
    >> has the same two discs that appear in the _Alien Quadrilogy_ set. Which
    >> means you miss out on a couple of minor _Aliens_-related features on
    >> the bonus ninth DVD from the _AQ_ set.

    > On the plus side, by purchasing the four separate 2-disc SEs instead of
    > the whole box, you get less flimsy packaging and don't have to cringe in
    > shame every time you look over to your DVD shelf and see the stupid made
    > up word "Quadrilogy".

    Substitute "stupid yes-it's-in-the-OED-but-so-frickin'-what? word" for
    "stupid made-up word".

    For that matter, substitute "fits-in-the-average-house-when-opened" for
    "less flimsy". It's not the *durability* of the _AQ_ box that bothers me:
    rather, it's the possibility of my expiring of old age before reaching the
    disc I want.

    doug

    --
    "It's not peculiar; there's nothing to devise at all..."
    --Hüsker Dü
    Douglas Bailey, Aug 30, 2004
  9. J. Balsamo

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > [...] and don't have to cringe in shame every time you look over to your
    > DVD shelf and see the stupid made up word "Quadrilogy".

    I hate to point this out, but every single word in every single human
    language was, at some point "made up".

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 30, 2004
  10. J. Balsamo

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > > On the plus side, by purchasing the four separate 2-disc SEs instead

    of
    > > the whole box, you get less flimsy packaging and don't have to

    cringe in
    > > shame every time you look over to your DVD shelf and see the stupid

    made
    > > up word "Quadrilogy".

    > Substitute "stupid yes-it's-in-the-OED-but-so-frickin'-what? word" for
    > "stupid made-up word".

    You'll have to forgive me that I don't have a copy handy, but since when
    is "quadrilogy" in the OED? The correct term has always been
    "tetralogy", to my knowledge.

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > > [...] and don't have to cringe in shame every time you look over to

    your
    > > DVD shelf and see the stupid made up word "Quadrilogy".

    > I hate to point this out, but every single word in every single human
    > language was, at some point "made up".

    Yes, but some of them are more stupid than others.
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 30, 2004
  11. <Quadrilogy as a word>

    >The correct term has always been
    >"tetralogy", to my knowledge.

    I'm assuming the "incorrectness" of quadrilogy is due to its use of the Latin
    "Quadri-" and Greek "-logy." I'm not fond of the word- as you note, tetralogy
    (Greek throughout) is preexisting and, IMO, less clumsy.

    But, there's at least one popular word combining both Latin and Greek-
    television. So, confused etymology isn't a complete barrier to being a "word."
    Words typically enter languages by common usage, not by merit or etymological
    roots; luckily, I don't see "quadrilogy" entering common parlance anytime soon.

    I think the publishers just figured the average Joe is more familiar with
    "Quadri-" meaning four over "Tetra-"; I could imagine shoppers trying to figure
    out why there was an Aliens-edition of "Tetris."
    Robert Morgan, Aug 30, 2004
  12. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > Douglas Bailey wrote:

    ["quadrilogy"]
    >> Substitute "stupid yes-it's-in-the-OED-but-so-frickin'-what? word" for
    >> "stupid made-up word".

    > You'll have to forgive me that I don't have a copy handy, but since when
    > is "quadrilogy" in the OED?

    I'm just going by my source,
    <http://google.com/groups?selm=mul0rvofdo97103kj16ej9vgnvdmfphe5t%404ax.com>,
    since I don't have the full OED myself, nor do I pay for online access to
    it.

    > The correct term has always been "tetralogy", to my knowledge.

    Certainly "tetralogy" is the more common word in English usage. But since
    "tetra-" is Greek and "quad-" is Latin, and since "tri-" (as in "trilogy",
    the more commonly-encountered form) is the same in Greek *and* Latin, I
    think "tetralogy" and "quadrilogy" are roughly equal in terms of
    English-language validity or correctness.

    ("Decalogue"/"decalog" also appears to be the same in Greek and Latin,
    incidentally. And there's no "bilogy" or "pentalogy" to give away which
    language "trilogy" and "decalogue" are from.)

    doug

    --
    "You got to watch for the exit wounds
    When girls say 'yes'..."
    Douglas Bailey, Aug 30, 2004
  13. J. Balsamo

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Douglas Bailey <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > See <http://www.google.com/groups?selm=1cxzbw8599ru1%24.dlg%40snernce.com>
    > for a listing of features from the original _Alien Legacy_ set that didn't
    > make it into the _Alien Quadrilogy_ set.

    Which begs the question, if I have the Legacy set with the bonus disc
    am I missing anything by passing on the quadrilogy? Or should I just
    "upgrade" my Alien 3 and Ressurection discs with their off-the-shelf
    replacements...

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Aug 31, 2004
  14. J. Balsamo

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    > Which begs the question, if I have the Legacy set with the bonus disc
    > am I missing anything by passing on the quadrilogy? Or should I just
    > "upgrade" my Alien 3 and Ressurection discs with their off-the-shelf
    > replacements...

    The Quadrilogy set has hours upon hours of entirely new supplements, as
    well as new recut versions of Alien, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection
    (the original theatrical cuts are also there).
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 31, 2004
  15. J. Balsamo

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Robert Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > I think the publishers just figured the average Joe is more familiar

    with
    > "Quadri-" meaning four over "Tetra-"; I could imagine shoppers trying

    to figure
    > out why there was an Aliens-edition of "Tetris."

    Which is why they should have just called it "The Alien Saga", as they
    have in the past. That's a better-sounding title and allows an open
    flexibility to include future films (such as the current Alien vs.
    Predator atrocity).
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 31, 2004
  16. J. Balsamo

    jayembee Guest

    (Jordan Lund) wrote:

    >Douglas Bailey <> wrote:
    >
    >> See <http://www.google.com/groups?selm=1cxzbw8599ru1%24.dlg%40snernce.com>
    >> for a listing of features from the original _Alien Legacy_ set that didn't
    >> make it into the _Alien Quadrilogy_ set.

    >Which begs the question, if I have the Legacy set with the bonus disc
    >am I missing anything by passing on the quadrilogy? Or should I just
    >"upgrade" my Alien 3 and Ressurection discs with their off-the-shelf
    >replacements...

    OK, the "Quadrilogy" comes in two forms:

    (1) One 9-disc set, with two discs for each film, plus a ninth disc of
    extra extras.

    (2) 2-disc editions of each of the films.

    The 2-disc edition for each film has the exact same contents as the
    two discs of that film in the 9-disc Quadrilogy set. As said before,
    by getting the 2-discers, you miss having the ninth disc.

    As for your question, yes, you are missing stuff. ALIEN has an
    intro by Scott, as well as two versions of the film. The second is
    basically the deleted scenes (available in the Legacy set edition)
    incorporated into the film.

    ALIENS also has two versions: the original theatrical cut (first time
    on DVD) plus the extended cut previously available.

    ALIEN^3 has two versions: the original theatrical cut, plus an
    extended cut.

    ALIEN RESURRECTION has two versions: the original theatrical
    cut, and an extended version. Also, an intro by Jeunet.

    If you want to maximize your ALIEN collection, your best bet would
    be to buy the 9-disc Quadrilogy set, keep your copies of ALIEN and
    the fifth disc from the Legacy set, and sell off the Legacy set copies
    of the other three films.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 31, 2004
  17. Jordan Lund wrote:
    > Douglas Bailey wrote:

    >> See <http://www.google.com/groups?selm=1cxzbw8599ru1%24.dlg%40snernce.com>
    >> for a listing of features from the original _Alien Legacy_ set that
    >> didn't make it into the _Alien Quadrilogy_ set.

    > Which begs the question, if I have the Legacy set with the bonus disc
    > am I missing anything by passing on the quadrilogy?

    You're definitely missing some worthwhile supplements: new commentaries,
    new documentaries, lots of material. Most of it is very good: I'm not sure
    any of it is *essential*, though.

    The single most significant thing (IMO) is the theatrical cut of _Aliens_,
    since the _Legacy_ version only contained the longer SE cut.

    I'd also give honourable mention to the text supplements from the old LD
    box sets for _Alien_ and _Aliens_ (found on the ninth disc in the
    _Quadrilogy_). I've always found those to be great features, myself...

    doug

    --
    "Interrupting my train of thought, lines of longitude and latitude
    Define, refine my altitude..."
    Douglas Bailey, Aug 31, 2004
  18. J. Balsamo

    Ant Guest

    "J. Balsamo" <> wrote in message
    > I was in CC today and noticed there is yet another Aliens SE out. Now I

    have
    > the Aliens Legacy box set, but I did not get the supplimental 5th disk in
    > time when it was offered so my question is this: is there anything on this
    > SE that warrants a purchase or will my AL version of Aliens do just fine?

    :)

    To be honest, it really doesn't matter as it is not in DTS and the Japanese
    releases from what I have been told, are.

    I rented the US version and found the picture and sound to be no different
    than the director's cut I bought on DVD in 99?

    Anyway.

    Ant
    Ant, Aug 31, 2004
  19. >Which is why they should have just called it "The Alien Saga", as they
    >have in the past. That's a better-sounding title and allows an open
    >flexibility to include future films (such as the current Alien vs.
    >Predator atrocity).

    Yeah. The boxset's title makes it sound as if the storyline is complete.
    (Perhaps it should have been after Aliens, IMO.) It's a shame that "Alien
    Legacy" is taken by Marvel Comics- "Alien Saga" is descriptive, if bland.
    Robert Morgan, Aug 31, 2004
  20. J. Balsamo

    Eric R. Guest

    robozz (Robert Morgan) wrote in message news:<>...

    > luckily, I don't see "quadrilogy" entering common parlance anytime soon.

    I like "quadrilogy" better than "tetralogy." "Quadrilogy" roles off
    the tongue better and "quad" is much more clearly recognizable as
    denoting "4" than "tetra." Plus the "ri" in quad-"rilogy" links it
    more closely with its lesser brother "trilogy," indiciating more
    clearly that it's a series of films. Tetralogy has the more ambiguous
    "alogy."

    -Eric
    Eric R., Aug 31, 2004