    | |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
    ( )

    , Jul 11, 2005

  2. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Are there any differences in both of these SE versions beside the
    > extra
    > behind the scenes? Are the videos and audios improved over the SE one
    > compared to the SE in Quadrilogy?

    The 2-disc Collector's Editions (the ones in fold-out digipaks) for each
    movie are direct copies of the same discs inside the Quadrilogy box set.
    The only difference is that the Quadrilogy comes with a 9th disc full of
    additional extras (mostly about the first film).

    Do not confuse the 2-disc Collector's Editions with the original
    single-disc releases for each film (the ones in standard keepcases),
    which are from older transfers and have different bonus features.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Allan Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:41:08 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Are there any differences in both of these SE versions beside the
    >> extra
    >> behind the scenes? Are the videos and audios improved over the SE one
    >> compared to the SE in Quadrilogy?

    http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4361

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful
    declared:
    > Are there any differences in both of these SE versions beside the extra
    > behind the scenes? Are the videos and audios improved over the SE one
    > compared to the SE in Quadrilogy?

    If by SE you mean the original single disc DVD release, then it's
    not even in the same ballpark as the Quadrilogy.

    1) The original SE only contains the extended cut, which, though
    good, isn't as good as the theatrical cut. The Quadrilogy offers
    both in branching video.

    2) The only special feature on the original SE is some raw behind
    the scenes footage, mostly of miniatures. The Quadrilogy contains a
    feature length documentary, and a commentary.

    3) The original SE is something like six or seven years old. The
    transfer is good, but the newer one is better.

    --
    Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
    As a moral proposition I'm as against genocide as the next guy, but

    Sean O'Hara, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Guest

    In alt.dvd.video Sean O'Hara <> wrote:
    > In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful
    > declared:
    > > Are there any differences in both of these SE versions beside the extra
    > > behind the scenes? Are the videos and audios improved over the SE one
    > > compared to the SE in Quadrilogy?
    > >

    > If by SE you mean the original single disc DVD release, then it's
    > not even in the same ballpark as the Quadrilogy.

    > 1) The original SE only contains the extended cut, which, though
    > good, isn't as good as the theatrical cut. The Quadrilogy offers
    > both in branching video.

    But is the extended cut the same as SE? I have this one right now:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...53-0322534?v=glance&s=dvd&search-path-string=
    (http://tinyurl.com/dfeoa for shorter URL).

    > 2) The only special feature on the original SE is some raw behind
    > the scenes footage, mostly of miniatures. The Quadrilogy contains a
    > feature length documentary, and a commentary.

    Yeah, I was thinking of borrowing/renting instead of buying if the
    movie is the same. I noticed both extended cut in SE and Quadrilogy
    (even the stand alone one for Aliens) are both 154 minutes long.
    They sound the same to me.

    > 3) The original SE is something like six or seven years old. The
    > transfer is good, but the newer one is better.

    How much better in terms of visual and audio? A lot better?
    --
    "What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
    ( )

    , Jul 12, 2005
  6. Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful
    declared:
    > In alt.dvd.video Sean O'Hara <> wrote:
    >
    >> In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful
    >> declared:
    >>
    >>> Are there any differences in both of these SE versions beside
    >>> the extra behind the scenes? Are the videos and audios
    >>> improved over the SE one compared to the SE in Quadrilogy?
    >>>

    >> If by SE you mean the original single disc DVD release, then
    >> it's not even in the same ballpark as the Quadrilogy.

    >> 1) The original SE only contains the extended cut, which,
    >> though good, isn't as good as the theatrical cut. The
    >> Quadrilogy offers both in branching video.

    > But is the extended cut the same as SE? I have this one right
    > now:
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...53-0322534?v=glance&s=dvd&search-path-string=
    > (http://tinyurl.com/dfeoa for shorter URL).

    As far as I can tell, the long version in the Quadrilogy is
    identical to the special edition.

    >> 2) The only special feature on the original SE is some raw
    >> behind the scenes footage, mostly of miniatures. The Quadrilogy
    >> contains a feature length documentary, and a commentary.

    > Yeah, I was thinking of borrowing/renting instead of buying if
    > the movie is the same. I noticed both extended cut in SE and
    > Quadrilogy (even the stand alone one for Aliens) are both 154
    > minutes long. They sound the same to me.

    Yeah, the extended version's 154; the original cut is 137.

    >> 3) The original SE is something like six or seven years old.
    >> The transfer is good, but the newer one is better.

    > How much better in terms of visual and audio? A lot better?

    I found it a noticeable improvement, especially when it comes to the
    scenes added to the extended cut. On the special edition, the scene
    where Newt's parents find the derelict spaceship has very muted
    sound and I had to crank the volume up to understand the dialogue;
    not so with the Quadrilogy.

    The quadrilogy version is at least worth a rent.

    --
    Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
    No Republican senator has sponsored more laws later held

    Sean O'Hara, Jul 12, 2005
  7. Mr. Moe Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:22:20 -0400, Sean O'Hara <>
    wrote:

    >In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful
    >declared:
    >> In alt.dvd.video Sean O'Hara <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful
    >>> declared:

    >>> If by SE you mean the original single disc DVD release, then
    >>> it's not even in the same ballpark as the Quadrilogy.

    >>> 1) The original SE only contains the extended cut, which,
    >>> though good, isn't as good as the theatrical cut. The
    >>> Quadrilogy offers both in branching video.

    >> But is the extended cut the same as SE? I have this one right
    >> now:
    >> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...53-0322534?v=glance&s=dvd&search-path-string=
    >> (http://tinyurl.com/dfeoa for shorter URL).
    >>

    >As far as I can tell, the long version in the Quadrilogy is
    >identical to the special edition.
    >

    >>> 2) The only special feature on the original SE is some raw
    >>> behind the scenes footage, mostly of miniatures. The Quadrilogy
    >>> contains a feature length documentary, and a commentary.

    >> Yeah, I was thinking of borrowing/renting instead of buying if
    >> the movie is the same. I noticed both extended cut in SE and
    >> Quadrilogy (even the stand alone one for Aliens) are both 154
    >> minutes long. They sound the same to me.
    >>

    >Yeah, the extended version's 154; the original cut is 137.
    >

    >>> 3) The original SE is something like six or seven years old.
    >>> The transfer is good, but the newer one is better.

    >> How much better in terms of visual and audio? A lot better?

    >I found it a noticeable improvement, especially when it comes to the
    >scenes added to the extended cut. On the special edition, the scene
    >where Newt's parents find the derelict spaceship has very muted
    >sound and I had to crank the volume up to understand the dialogue;
    >not so with the Quadrilogy.
    >
    >The quadrilogy version is at least worth a rent.

    I own the Quadrilogy, and have nothing bad to say about it. Excellent
    quailty packaging, sound, and video. Worth the price.
    Mr. Moe

    Mr. Moe, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Guest

    In alt.video.dvd Sean O'Hara <> wrote:
    > In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful
    > declared:
    > > In alt.dvd.video Sean O'Hara <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful
    > >> declared:

    > >> If by SE you mean the original single disc DVD release, then
    > >> it's not even in the same ballpark as the Quadrilogy.

    > >> 1) The original SE only contains the extended cut, which,
    > >> though good, isn't as good as the theatrical cut. The
    > >> Quadrilogy offers both in branching video.

    > > But is the extended cut the same as SE? I have this one right
    > > now:
    > > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...53-0322534?v=glance&s=dvd&search-path-string=
    > > (http://tinyurl.com/dfeoa for shorter URL).
    > >

    > As far as I can tell, the long version in the Quadrilogy is
    > identical to the special edition.

    Thanks. :)

    > >> 2) The only special feature on the original SE is some raw
    > >> behind the scenes footage, mostly of miniatures. The Quadrilogy
    > >> contains a feature length documentary, and a commentary.

    > > Yeah, I was thinking of borrowing/renting instead of buying if
    > > the movie is the same. I noticed both extended cut in SE and
    > > Quadrilogy (even the stand alone one for Aliens) are both 154
    > > minutes long. They sound the same to me.
    > >

    > Yeah, the extended version's 154; the original cut is 137.

    OK.

    > >> 3) The original SE is something like six or seven years old.
    > >> The transfer is good, but the newer one is better.

    > > How much better in terms of visual and audio? A lot better?

    > I found it a noticeable improvement, especially when it comes to the
    > scenes added to the extended cut. On the special edition, the scene
    > where Newt's parents find the derelict spaceship has very muted
    > sound and I had to crank the volume up to understand the dialogue;
    > not so with the Quadrilogy.

    Really? I don't remember having to do that. Maybe because I only have
    a 4.1 sound setup.

    > The quadrilogy version is at least worth a rent.

    Or borrow. ;)
    --
    "What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
    ( )

    , Jul 13, 2005
  9. On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 04:01:10 -0500, wrote:

    >Are there any differences in both of these SE versions beside the extra
    >behind the scenes? Are the videos and audios improved over the SE one
    >compared to the SE in Quadrilogy?

    >"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom

    Aphids! google for ants and aphids.

    Sig:
    I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    -- Isaac Asimov

    Rotes Sapiens, Jul 14, 2005
  10. Guest

    Rotes Sapiens <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 04:01:10 -0500, wrote:

    > >Are there any differences in both of these SE versions beside the extra
    > >behind the scenes? Are the videos and audios improved over the SE one
    > >compared to the SE in Quadrilogy?

    > >"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom

    > Aphids! google for ants and aphids.

    Heh, yeah that I know already. It was only a quote from who knows where. :)
    --
    "What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
    ( )

    , Jul 15, 2005