    it was rather "short-sighted" of the "Space Marines" and
    "Weyland-Yutani", to unload the entire Sulaco of all crew and troops.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Rutgar

    Mark W Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Why wasn't there a flight crew left on board the Sulaco? Seems like
    > it was rather "short-sighted" of the "Space Marines" and
    > "Weyland-Yutani", to unload the entire Sulaco of all crew and troops.
    >
    > - Rutgar

    You'd better rewrite the script and see if James Cameron wants to re-shoot
    the movie.

    Or maybe you should ask, Why did the Titanic set out without enough
    lifeboats? A bit short sighted, that.
    Mark W, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Rutgar

    Yankee CEM Guest

    "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in news::

    > "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    >> Why wasn't there a flight crew left on board the Sulaco? Seems like
    >> it was rather "short-sighted" of the "Space Marines" and
    >> "Weyland-Yutani", to unload the entire Sulaco of all crew and troops.
    >>
    >> - Rutgar

    > You'd better rewrite the script and see if James Cameron wants to
    > re-shoot the movie.
    >
    > Or maybe you should ask, Why did the Titanic set out without enough
    > lifeboats? A bit short sighted, that.

    The Titanic set out without lifeboats b/c it was an "unsinkable" ship. To
    set off w/ enough lifeboats is not to believe in your product. Dumb in
    any event.
    Yankee CEM, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Rutgar

    Capn Queeg Guest

    It fits in with leaving the loading ramp down and more-or-less unguarded on
    the lander in a hostile situation. If the characters had any sense it would
    take a lot more clever writing to put them in the situations necessary for
    this action flick to work.

    Capn Queeg, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:51:29 -0800, Capn Queeg <>
    wrote:

    >It fits in with leaving the loading ramp down and more-or-less unguarded on
    >the lander in a hostile situation. If the characters had any sense it would
    >take a lot more clever writing to put them in the situations necessary for
    >this action flick to work.
    >
    >On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:44:19 GMT, Rutgar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Why wasn't there a flight crew left on board the Sulaco? Seems like
    >>it was rather "short-sighted" of the "Space Marines" and
    >>"Weyland-Yutani", to unload the entire Sulaco of all crew and troops.
    >>
    >>- Rutgar

    Yeah, that one bugged me as well. I just thought it was strange that
    in the first movie, they were careful not to leave themselves open.
    Only three of the crew went out to explore the derelict, with the rest
    of the crew remaining on board. Even after Cain had been "faced
    hugged", Ripley refused to let them back into the ship, per
    "quarantine rules". Ash, was the "fly in the soup", that allowed the
    quarantine rule to be circumvented. In "Aliens", they didn't need an
    "Ash". They continually left themselves wide open on all fronts.
    Thus, making "Aliens" not as believable and realistic as "Alien" was.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Dec 14, 2003
  6. Rutgar

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Rutgar <> wrote:

    > Why wasn't there a flight crew left on board the Sulaco? Seems like
    > it was rather "short-sighted" of the "Space Marines" and
    > "Weyland-Yutani", to unload the entire Sulaco of all crew and troops.

    Yep. Dumb to the extreme. Blame Jimbo.
    Peter Briggs, Dec 15, 2003
  7. Rutgar

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Capn Queeg <> wrote:

    > It fits in with leaving the loading ramp down and more-or-less unguarded on
    > the lander in a hostile situation.

    Don't you think that ship ought to have motion trackers engaged?
    Peter Briggs, Dec 15, 2003
  8. Rutgar

    Eric R. Guest

    Rutgar <> wrote in message

    > Why wasn't there a flight crew left on board the Sulaco? Seems like
    > it was rather "short-sighted" of the "Space Marines" and
    > "Weyland-Yutani", to unload the entire Sulaco of all crew and troops.

    Yeah, pretty dumb move. But, then again, those guys were pretty cocky
    and not used to encountering any kind of real resistance. It might
    have just been a by-product of their arrogance.

    There is also the possibility that Carter pressed Gorman to do this
    (as part of his "plan" to get specimens beack on board without the
    others knowing about it).

    -Eric
    Eric R., Dec 15, 2003
  9. Rutgar

    Writer R5 Guest

    Well the obvious answer in terms of the movie was to make it harder for the
    characters to eascape.

    However, the Sulaco did have some sort of automated computer system aboard. One
    that was programmed to eject the survivors from Aliens into the EEV in Alien 3
    so perhaps as a part of the hubris of the Colonial Marines, they felt a
    standing ship crew was not needed.

    I think you make a good point. Don't know if it can be called a plot hole, but
    it is something to consider. Alien is still the best of the series imho.

    Mark
    GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
    Writer R5, Dec 15, 2003
  10. Rutgar

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > > Why wasn't there a flight crew left on board the Sulaco? Seems like
    > > it was rather "short-sighted" of the "Space Marines" and
    > > "Weyland-Yutani", to unload the entire Sulaco of all crew and troops.

    > Yeah, pretty dumb move. But, then again, those guys were pretty cocky
    > and not used to encountering any kind of real resistance. It might
    > have just been a by-product of their arrogance.

    Right. They just thought it was a "bug hunt" and completely underestimated
    the threat.

    But as for the Sulaco, it was mechanized. No flight crew necessary. After
    all, it piloted itself over vast interstellar distances whilst the crew
    slept. Much simpler (I would assume) to maintain orbit.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Dec 15, 2003
  11. Rutgar

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > But as for the Sulaco, it was mechanized. No flight crew necessary.

    After
    > all, it piloted itself over vast interstellar distances whilst the

    crew
    > slept. Much simpler (I would assume) to maintain orbit.

    It's a Weyland-Yutani cost-cutting move. Why pay for extra human
    operators when the computers can pilot the ship on their own?
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 16, 2003
  12. Rutgar

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    > It's a Weyland-Yutani cost-cutting move. Why pay for extra human
    > operators when the computers can pilot the ship on their own?

    But the USCM are independent of Weyland-Yutani...
    Peter Briggs, Dec 16, 2003
  13. Rutgar

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > It's a Weyland-Yutani cost-cutting move. Why pay for extra human
    > > operators when the computers can pilot the ship on their own?

    > But the USCM are independent of Weyland-Yutani...

    Ah, but who rented them the ship?

    Besides, I always got the impression that W-Y had their fingers in every
    element of government. The LV-426 campaign was entirely their project.
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 16, 2003
  14. Rutgar

    Mark W Guest

    > Rutgar <> wrote:
    >
    > > Why wasn't there a flight crew left on board the Sulaco? Seems like
    > > it was rather "short-sighted" of the "Space Marines" and
    > > "Weyland-Yutani", to unload the entire Sulaco of all crew and troops.

    > Yep. Dumb to the extreme. Blame Jimbo.

    If characters in films were clever all the time then films wouldn't have
    such interesting plots. IT'S POSSIBLE THAT IT WAS INTENTIONAL!!!!
    Mark W, Dec 16, 2003
  15. Rutgar

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > > But as for the Sulaco, it was mechanized. No flight crew necessary.
    > After
    > > all, it piloted itself over vast interstellar distances whilst the

    > crew
    > > slept. Much simpler (I would assume) to maintain orbit.

    > It's a Weyland-Yutani cost-cutting move. Why pay for extra human
    > operators when the computers can pilot the ship on their own?

    So...they're the Walmart of the future? I'll bet the Marines were also paid
    less than living wage? :)

    Mike Jackson, Dec 16, 2003
  16. Rutgar

    jayembee Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote:

    >> It's a Weyland-Yutani cost-cutting move. Why pay for extra human
    >> operators when the computers can pilot the ship on their own?

    >So...they're the Walmart of the future? I'll bet the Marines were also paid
    >less than living wage? :)

    Well, actually, according to ALIEN RESURRECTION, Weyland-Yutani was
    bought out by Wal-Mart. :)

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Dec 16, 2003
  17. Rutgar

    Heinrich Guest

    In article <>, Mike Jackson
    <> wrote:

    > > > But as for the Sulaco, it was mechanized. No flight crew necessary.

    > > After
    > > > all, it piloted itself over vast interstellar distances whilst the

    > > crew
    > > > slept. Much simpler (I would assume) to maintain orbit.

    > > It's a Weyland-Yutani cost-cutting move. Why pay for extra human
    > > operators when the computers can pilot the ship on their own?

    > So...they're the Walmart of the future? I'll bet the Marines were also paid
    > less than living wage? :)
    >
    > Mike Jackson
    > Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    > www.dvdverdict.com

    "I'll bet the Marines were also paid less than living wage?"

    I believe there was even a comment to this effect by one of the marines!
    Heinrich, Dec 16, 2003
  18. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:42:27 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >"Mike Jackson" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> It's a Weyland-Yutani cost-cutting move. Why pay for extra human
    >>> operators when the computers can pilot the ship on their own?

    >>So...they're the Walmart of the future? I'll bet the Marines were also paid
    >>less than living wage? :)

    >Well, actually, according to ALIEN RESURRECTION, Weyland-Yutani was
    >bought out by Wal-Mart. :)
    >
    >-- jayembee

    I thought that's what he said. But, I kept thinking... Naaaa.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Dec 16, 2003
  19. Rutgar

    Eric R. Guest

    Heinrich <> wrote in message

    > "I'll bet the Marines were also paid less than living wage?"
    >
    > I believe there was even a comment to this effect by one of the marines!

    They ain't paying us enough for this shit, man.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Dec 17, 2003
  20. Rutgar

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    > Besides, I always got the impression that W-Y had their fingers in every
    > element of government. The LV-426 campaign was entirely their project.

    Ah, no. LV 426 was a joint collaboration between the ECA (Extrasolar
    Colonization Administration), with ICC (Interstellar Commerce
    Commission) -- the guys you saw on the committee at the beginning of
    "Aliens" oversight. That's my understanding.
    Peter Briggs, Dec 18, 2003