ALIEN Quadrilogy DVD Details

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jonathan Stryker, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. I just read these details off of
    http://red2.axg.net/index.asp?folder=images but have no way of knowing
    if this is correct. Can anyone confirm the following:

    ALIEN (Director's Cut)

    Ridley Scott Introduction To the 2003 Director's Cut (55s)
    Bob Burns Alien Collection (16m 52s)
    Ridley Scott Q&A (15m 38s)
    Interviews With Ridley Scott (8m 18s)
    Alien Evolution Documentary (64m 31s)
    Deleted Scenes (15m 42s)
    Future Tense: Music & Editing Documentary (16m 28s)
    Sigourney Weaver's Screen Test with Commentary (4m 26s)
    Sigourney Weaver's Screen Test without Commentary (4m 26s)
    Alien Theatrical Trailer A (1m 07s)
    The Director's Cut Film Trailer
    Fear Of The Unknown Shepperton Studios 1978 Documentary (24m 3s)
    The Darkest Reaches Nostromo & Alien Planet Featurette (17m 27s)
    A Nightmare Fulfilled: Reaction to the Film Featurette (19m 19s)
    Multi-Angle Chestbuster without Commentary
    Star Beast: Developing the Story Featurette (18m 9s)
    The Eighth Passenger - Creature Design Documentary (31m 33s)
    Outward Bound: Visual Effects Featurette (18m 51s)
    The Visualists Direction & Design (16m 41s)
    Production and Outtake Footage (20m 59s)
    Truckers in Space: Casting Featurette (15m 46s)
    Experience In Terror: Promo Featurette '79 (7m 8s)
    ALIENS (Director's Cut)

    Building Better Worlds: From Concept To Construction Featurette (13m
    28s)
    The Final Countdown: Music, Editing And Sound Featurette (15m 30s)
    Aliens Unleashed: Reaction To The Film Featurette (11m 38s)
    Beauty And The Bitch: Power Loader VS Queen Alien Featurette (22m 25s)
    This Time It's War: Pinewood Studios (1985 Featurette) (19m 39s)
    The Power Of Real Tech: Visual Effects Featurette (27m 49s)
    Bug Hunt: Creature Design (16m 23s)
    The Risk Always Lives: Weapons And Action Featurette (15m 12s)
    Preparing For Battle: Casting and Characterization Featurette (16m
    59s)
    57 Years Later: Continuing the Story Featurette (10m 59s)
    Two Orphans: Sigourney Weaver and Carrie Henn Featurette (13m 47s)
    Multi-Angle Pre-Vis Animatics With Commentary (3m 12s)
    Multi-Angle Pre-Vis Animatics Without Commentary (3m 14s)
    Interview With James Cameron (9m 29s)
    James Cameron Interview/Film Footage (3m 13s)
    James Cameron Intro to Extended Version (31s)
    Production Footage (8m 9s)
    Aliens International Trailer (29s)
    Aliens Domestic Trailer (32s)
    Aliens TV Spots (29s)
    Easteregg: The Boy And His Power Loader (9m 35s)
    Alien TV Spots (37s)
    ALIEN 3 (Director's Cut)

    Alien 3 Advance Featurette (2m 47)
    The Making Of Alien 3 (22m 25s)
    Furnace Construction: Time Lapse Sequence Featurette (4m 33s)
    Tales Of The Wooden Planet: Vincent Ward's Vision Featurette (13m 9s)
    Multi-Angle Segment E.E.V. Bioscan with Commentary (12m 1s)
    Optical Fury: Visual Effects Featurette (23m 18s)
    Music, Editing & Sound Featurette (14m 50s)
    Post Mortem: Reaction to the Film Featurette (5m 46s)
    Xeno-Erotic: H.R. Giger's Redesign Featurette (10m 17s)
    Production Part One Featurette (18m 0s)
    Pre-Production Part Three Featurette (1m 39s)
    Development: Concluding the Story Featurette (16m 54s)
    Adaptive Organism: Creature Design Featurette (20m 31s)
    Alien 3 Trailer A (1m 00s)
    Alien 3 Trailer B (1m 07s)
    Alien 3 Trailer C (1m 01s)
    Alien 3 Trailer D (31s)
    Alien 3 Trailer E (1m 06s)
    Alien 3 TV Spots (2m 41s)
    ALIEN RESURRECTION (Director's Cut)

    Director's Audio Commentary
    Introduction To Extended Version (44s)
    A Matter Of Scale: Minature Photography Featurette (22m 48s)
    Death From Below: Underwater Photography Featurette (31m 35s)
    In The Zone: The Basketball Scene Featurette
    French Twist: Direction and Design Featurette (26m 07s)
    Under The Skin: Casting and Characterization Featurette (12m 44s)
    Virtual Aliens: Computer Generated Imagery Featurette (9m 51s)
    Multi-Angle Segments Without Commentary (8m 34s)
    Test Footage Creatures and Costume Segments (14m 27s)
    Critical Juncture: Reaction to the Film Featurette (14m 26s)
    From The Ashes: Reviving The Story Featurette (10m 3s)
    Genetic Composition Music Featurette (13m 8s)
    Unnatural Mutation: Creature Design Featurette (26m 21s)
    The Making Of Alien Resurrection (25m 42s)
    Theatrical Trailer (2m 19s)
    TV Spots (1m 41s)
    Bonus Disc

    Alien Evolution BBC Documentary (75m)
    Alien Quadrilogy Trailer (1m 05s)
    Alien Legacy Trailer (1m 05s)

    Thank you,
    JS

    Jonathan Stryker, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Jonathan Stryker

    Wade365 Guest

    If these prints are all like the one I caught on STARZ the other afternoon, I'm
    not going to bother with the new and hunt down the old... the added footage in
    "Aliens" was so unneccessary and I thought really diminished the tension of the
    Marines landing at the colony for the first time... no sir, I don't like it...
    telegraphing the whole story by showing the colonists heading out to find the
    ship (ala Burke's memo which we find out about MUCH LATER in a key scene which
    reveals just how big a scumbucket he is, not to mention underscoring the evil
    of the Corporation) is dumbing down which paseth all understanding...

    Why do the studios allow the directors to go back and second-guess the
    editorial process? John Carpenter has messed up the pacing of a few of his
    films this way... not everything comes out for the better when they are allowed
    to do this... "Pitch Black" was the same way... I had a decent time in the
    theater enjoying the cookie-cutter plot and stuff and then I get it on DVD and
    they've altered the damned thing to where what's-his-face (the XXX - Guy) even
    acts differently, turns into a nicer guy, more 'hero' than 'anti-hero'
    (presumably cuz they're making another movie about the character soon).

    Han Solo shot FIRST, gah-dammit!!! Quit changing my theater experience at the
    last minute... if you're going to add this sort of crap then make it possible
    to view the film with and without the "extended" material... it just can't be
    that difficult.

    Wade365, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Jonathan Stryker

    RR Guest

    Wade365 wrote:
    > If these prints are all like the one I caught on STARZ the other
    > afternoon, I'm not going to bother with the new and hunt down the
    > old... the added footage in "Aliens" was so unneccessary and I
    > thought really diminished the tension of the Marines landing at the
    > colony for the first time... no sir, I don't like it... telegraphing
    > the whole story by showing the colonists heading out to find the ship
    > (ala Burke's memo which we find out about MUCH LATER in a key scene
    > which reveals just how big a scumbucket he is, not to mention
    > underscoring the evil of the Corporation) is dumbing down which
    > paseth all understanding...

    It depends on the film. Personally I'm looking ~very~ forward to the DC of
    Alien3. The studio tore that one to shreds and it'll be very cool to see
    what Fincher's original intention was. I can't imagine that it'll be worse
    than what was released in theatres - it would almost *have* to be an
    improvement. I like "Alien:Res" quite a bit, so I'm curious as to what's
    been changed and/or added to that one. I seriously hope I don't feel about
    it as you do with "Aliens" because I don't want to like "Res" less than I
    liked the theatrical version.

    --
    RR

    If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't
    include the right to experiment with your own consciousness,
    then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp
    it was written on. - Terence McKenna

    RR, Oct 2, 2003
  4. Jonathan Stryker

    Tarkus Guest

    On 02 Oct 2003 17:36:33 GMT, Wade365 wrote:

    > Why do the studios allow the directors to go back and second-guess the
    > editorial process?

    Because it's the director's film in the first place, and because it gives
    them something additional to market in the second place.
    --
    "Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies
    Farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain.

    Now playing: the radio

    Tarkus, Oct 2, 2003
  5. Wade365 wrote:

    > Why do the studios allow the directors to go back and second-guess the
    > editorial process?

    Because most of the time, the studio wants the movie at a certain
    length. Say a director finishes his movie and it comes in at 2.5 hours
    but the studio only wants a 2 hour film. He then has to go back and
    trim 30 minutes from his version of the film. The theatrical release
    then ends up not being what the director wanted us to see. Director's
    cuts on DVDs lets the director show us exactly what he wanted us to see.

    LVIII

    Lord Vader III, Oct 2, 2003
  6. Jonathan Stryker

    Jay G Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote ...
    > If these prints are all like the one I caught on STARZ the other

    afternoon, I'm
    > not going to bother with the new and hunt down the old... the added

    footage in
    > "Aliens" was so unneccessary and I thought really diminished the tension

    of the
    > Marines landing at the colony for the first time...

    If you want the original cut of ALIENS, then you'll
    want to wait for the new DVD set. The new
    set apparently will let you choose between the
    original and extended cut, while the old DVD
    only contained the extended cut.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Oct 2, 2003
  7. Jonathan Stryker

    Wade365 Guest

    << Director's
    cuts on DVDs lets the director show us exactly what he wanted us to see. >>

    And with very few exceptions to date, the editor's "tempering", shall we say,
    of that vision (no matter at WHO'S direction studio OR director) often proves
    to be the better call... most of the added stuff I've seen disrupts the picture
    IMO.

    Just my opinion.

    Can you show me examples besides "Apocolypse Now"and change my mind?

    Wade365, Oct 3, 2003
  8. Jonathan Stryker

    Wade365 Guest

    << The new
    set apparently will let you choose between the
    original and extended cut, while the old DVD
    only contained the extended cut. >>

    This is good news, and the way it ought to be presented to the consumer (as
    with "Abyss").
    Thanks!

    Wade365, Oct 3, 2003
  9. Jonathan Stryker

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    All four films will be presented in their original forms in addition to the
    altered cuts that are being included.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Oct 3, 2003
  10. Jonathan Stryker

    fredman Guest

    On 03 Oct 2003 02:33:00 GMT, mbleek (CLOSEDOWN8)
    wrote:

    >All four films will be presented in their original forms in addition to the
    >altered cuts that are being included.
    >--------------------------------
    >"That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    That's great - and the way it should be. I have the Legacy box and am
    a little disappointed with "Aliens" - wishing to get the theatrical
    version or a choice of which to watch. I am NOT looking forward to
    the DC of "Alien" - which I thought was near perfect as released
    theatrically. Directors, bring on the DCs - just give us the choice
    of DC or original theatrical version when you do! Cheers.
    regards,

    ================

    ================

    fredman, Oct 3, 2003
  11. Jonathan Stryker

    JR Guest

    in my opinion

    The JFK Director's cut is much better than the original

    JR, Oct 3, 2003
  12. Jonathan Stryker

    John Guest

    Almost Famous is much better as a Director's Cut movie. And the original
    wasn't too bad to begin with.

    I agree with JFK also.

    And while it's not necessarily a Director's Cut - the extende LOTR:FOR
    is the only version i'll watch from now on.

    John, Oct 3, 2003
  13. Jonathan Stryker

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Hopefully the deleted scenes in Aien will be complete and unedited and
    not slightly trimmed like they were on the Legacy set. On the old
    laserdisc box set, some deleted scenes are a bit longer (Brett's death)
    then on the dvd.

    T.B.

    Thomas Bell, Oct 3, 2003
  14. Jonathan Stryker

    Rutgar Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:26:53 +0800, John <> wrote:

    >Almost Famous is much better as a Director's Cut movie. And the original
    >wasn't too bad to begin with.
    >
    >I agree with JFK also.
    >
    >And while it's not necessarily a Director's Cut - the extende LOTR:FOR
    >is the only version i'll watch from now on.

    Yes, the Extended Version of LOTR:FOTR, was a much better movie than
    the theatrical release.

    The Two Towers extended version, is being completely re-edited,
    re-scored, and will have some of the added footage re-shot. It's not
    just Jackson putting in bit's and scraps of film that ended up on the
    cutting room floor.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 3, 2003
  15. Jonathan Stryker

    Wade365 Guest

    Yes, I don't mind if they're going to put scenes back into things, just give us
    a choice of watching the scene or not...

    .... and as far as LOTR, Almost Famous, etc. etc. ...

    .... ok, I feel like Palin in Life of Brian, "BESIDES the LOTR, Almost Famous,
    Etc. etc., what have the Romans (directors) done for us?"

    I take my kvetching back, forget I said a thing...

    .... uh, besides the whole "choice of which version" thing I stated above... I
    still like that bit and I bet there wouldn't be too much objection by those
    assembled here. Basically, is it all that difficult to play a version with the
    extended material flagged or would that just make for more layer-change-like
    pauses? Sorry if my head is too far up my consumer buttocks.

    Next Caller.

    Wade365, Oct 3, 2003
  16. (Wade365) writes:

    > << Director's
    > cuts on DVDs lets the director show us exactly what he wanted us to see. >>
    >
    > And with very few exceptions to date, the editor's "tempering", shall we say,
    > of that vision (no matter at WHO'S direction studio OR director) often proves
    > to be the better call... most of the added stuff I've seen disrupts
    > the picture IMO.
    >
    > Just my opinion.
    >
    > Can you show me examples besides "Apocolypse Now"and change my mind?

    I hated the new director's cut of AN.... Nothing added to the story
    there. :p

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Oct 3, 2003
  17. Jonathan Stryker

    TSKO Guest

    ....are they by chance going to be released as single titles (I dont really
    care to have the last 2 Alien flicks)?

    TSKO, Oct 3, 2003
  18. Jonathan Stryker

    Kram Sacul Guest

    Rutgar <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > The Two Towers extended version, is being completely re-edited,
    > re-scored, and will have some of the added footage re-shot. It's not
    > just Jackson putting in bit's and scraps of film that ended up on the
    > cutting room floor.

    So what the hell did I pay money to see in theaters last year? A temp
    version? Get it right the first time, Jackson. This suckering to
    release an extended version is really cheap. The theatrical release
    should've been the extended version. It sure felt like it after 3
    hours.

    Kram Sacul, Oct 4, 2003
  19. Jonathan Stryker

    TSKO Guest

    longer movie = less ppl, less showings, less money

    I think Jackson did get it right...both the theatrical version...and
    extended kick ass

    TSKO, Oct 4, 2003
  20. Jonathan Stryker

    Jay G Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote
    > Basically, is it all that difficult to play a version with the
    > extended material flagged or would that just make for more

    layer-change-like
    > pauses?

    What do you mean by flagged? New Line's Infinifilm series allows
    viewers re-insert deleted scenes into the movie by pressing "play"
    when a logo appears on the screen. However, this does cause
    two pauses (one to get to the deleted scene, one to get back to
    the movie) as well as requiring user interaction and distracting logos
    on the screen.

    If you meant seamless branching, where the alternate cut is
    played automatically after making the selection, the transitions
    are supposed to be without pauses, hence the use of the word
    "seamless." However, the implementation of seamless branching
    is reportedly a headache. It seems to work best when the
    difference between two cuts of a film is the insertion of a few
    complete scenes. Alternate cuts where the differences are
    shorter and more frequent (lingering on a scene a little longer,
    the addition of a few lines of dialogue) or where scenes are
    completely reordered may be too complex for seamless
    branching to handle.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Oct 4, 2003