    I have the original boxed set (yes, with the mail order 5th disc) so
    is there any point to buying the new set?

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Dec 10, 2003

  2. On 9 Dec 2003 16:38:36 -0800, (Jordan Lund) wrote:

    >I have the original boxed set (yes, with the mail order 5th disc) so
    >is there any point to buying the new set?

    Sure. Different cuts of some of the films, I think, and many more
    extras.

    I am just a casual fan of the series so I'll stick with Legacy.

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Jordan Lund

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Hitman of Las Vegas" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 Dec 2003 16:38:36 -0800, (Jordan Lund) wrote:
    >
    > >I have the original boxed set (yes, with the mail order 5th disc) so
    > >is there any point to buying the new set?

    > Sure. Different cuts of some of the films, I think, and many more
    > extras.
    >
    > I am just a casual fan of the series so I'll stick with Legacy.

    I'm curious about the new cut for Alien 3. I will probably pick that one up
    when they release the 2-disc versions from the Quad separately.

    Jay Stewart, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Jordan Lund

    Wade365 Guest

    When the set is released separately, I'll get the first two films... of those
    two I'm only really super-excited about the first film to tell the truth.

    I have never seen "Alien 3" and I doubt I ever will... C'moooooon January! I
    can't justify another nine disc set this close to Xmas!!!

    : )

    Wade365, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Jordan Lund

    Larry Gold Guest

    yes
    loads

    --
    Larry.gold
    Arsenal For Life

    Larry Gold, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Jordan Lund

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (Wade365) wrote:

    > I have never seen "Alien 3" and I doubt I ever will... C'moooooon January! I
    > can't justify another nine disc set this close to Xmas!!!

    Why not? While it's my least favorite of the series, it still has it's
    merits. The new "Assembly Cut" of it is a big improvement from my
    perspective. There's quite a bit more character development and it's an
    overall better example of the movie David Fincher made. I'm not saying
    to go buy the Special Edition of it when it's released next month, but
    at least go rent it so you can just see it once.

    Just out of curiosity, have you seen Alien Resurrection?

    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Jordan Lund

    DRO Guest

    Jordan Lund wrote:

    > I have the original boxed set (yes, with the mail order 5th disc) so
    > is there any point to buying the new set?

    The four documentary discs about each film are worth the price of the
    whole set, in my opinion. They were some of the most honest, no holds
    barred docs. I've ever seen. They put the warts and all in those docs,
    and I give Fox a big thumbs up for
    putting these things out, with some of the criticism they (Fox) take,
    especially on the Alien 3 doc.

    DRO, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Jordan Lund

    Wade365 Guest

    << Just out of curiosity, have you seen Alien Resurrection? >>

    To my eternal shame, yes.

    By the time Ripley's child is mewling on the screen I wished I hadn't seen it
    before I saw "Alien 3"... then I would have saved FOUR hours instead of just
    two by now.

    Heh.

    Wade365, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Jordan Lund

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Jay Stewart <> wrote:

    > I'm curious about the new cut for Alien 3. I will probably pick that one up
    > when they release the 2-disc versions from the Quad separately.

    It's...interesting. I *think* it's an improvement, but it's difficult
    to say.

    Peter Briggs, Dec 11, 2003
  10. >Just out of curiosity, have you seen Alien Resurrection?

    >> : )

    >--
    >BL

    Just saw it on TV a few weeks ago. Still can't make up my mind if it's fairly
    good or totally horible.

    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    MarkZimmerman, Dec 11, 2003
  11. Jordan Lund

    Brian Guest

    Your comments are good. I feel the same way about AR. I can't decide if I
    like it "OK" or if it is truly terrible.

    I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

    Brian, Dec 12, 2003
  12. Jordan Lund

    Brian Guest

    Alien 3 "Special Edition" is better than the original cut but still has the
    original problems.

    Brian, Dec 12, 2003
  13. Jordan Lund

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <brcq82$1v9fe$-berlin.de>,
    "Brian" <> wrote:

    > Your comments are good. I feel the same way about AR. I can't decide if I
    > like it "OK" or if it is truly terrible.
    >
    > I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

    Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
    it all.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Dec 13, 2003
  14. Jordan Lund

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Brian <> wrote:

    > Alien 3 "Special Edition" is better than the original cut but still has the
    > original problems.

    I'd concur with that.

    Peter Briggs, Dec 13, 2003
  15. Black Locust wrote:
    > "Brian" <> wrote:

    >> I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

    > Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
    > it all.

    Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard to
    be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.

    Actually, make that *three* someones: Mike D'Angelo's review of _A:R_ at
    <http://www.panix.com/~dangelo/col24.html#alie.html> says...

    "It should work, but it doesn't. In part, that's because Whedon...can't
    write 'straight' dialogue worth a damn....[it] sounds as if it's been
    culled from one of those unintentionally hilarious 1950's short subjects
    that instructed teenagers about proper dating behavior. ('Hi, Sally. Say,
    is that repulsive extraterrestrial lifeform still gestating in your womb?'
    'Why, Tommy, don't be silly. The womb is for human babies. The alien's
    right here next to my sternum.') Before long, I was rooting for the aliens,
    if only in the hope that they'd shut up the humans up."

    I'm in 100% agreement.

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    It's all in the art of stopping...

    Douglas Bailey, Dec 14, 2003
  16. Jordan Lund

    Justin Guest

    Douglas Bailey wrote on [Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:03:32 -0500]:
    > Black Locust wrote:
    >> "Brian" <> wrote:

    >>> I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

    >> Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
    >> it all.

    > Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard to
    > be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.
    >
    > Actually, make that *three* someones: Mike D'Angelo's review of _A:R_ at
    > <http://www.panix.com/~dangelo/col24.html#alie.html> says...
    >
    > "It should work, but it doesn't. In part, that's because Whedon...can't
    > write 'straight' dialogue worth a damn....[it] sounds as if it's been
    > culled from one of those unintentionally hilarious 1950's short subjects
    > that instructed teenagers about proper dating behavior. ('Hi, Sally. Say,
    > is that repulsive extraterrestrial lifeform still gestating in your womb?'
    > 'Why, Tommy, don't be silly. The womb is for human babies. The alien's
    > right here next to my sternum.') Before long, I was rooting for the aliens,
    > if only in the hope that they'd shut up the humans up."

    Of course, how much of the dialogue was actually written by Whedon and
    left untouched?

    Justin, Dec 15, 2003
  17. Justin wrote:
    > Douglas Bailey wrote on [Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:03:32 -0500]:
    >> Black Locust wrote:

    >>> Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
    >>> it all.

    >> Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard
    >> to be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.

    > Of course, how much of the dialogue was actually written by Whedon and
    > left untouched?

    I haven't yet been through most of the first-draft script included on the
    _A:R_ supplements disc. The handful of pages I *did* flip through, however
    -- Ripley's early conversation with Wren and Gediman, the introduction of
    the _Betty_'s crew -- make me think that the final script doesn't differ
    too significantly in tone from Whedon's original writing.

    But I'll welcome evidence to the contrary, if anyone has it. I'm not trying
    to pick on Whedon: based on the documentary included on the supplements
    disc, he seems to have had good intentions and genuinely wanted to do
    something worthwhile with the series. And though I've never encountered it
    myself, I'm willing to take the word of my friends that his writing is good
    on _Buffy_, _Firefly_ and so on. I'm just unimpressed with this particular
    example of his work.

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    Don't you let my letter get you down...

    Douglas Bailey, Dec 15, 2003
  18. Jordan Lund

    Justin Guest

    Douglas Bailey wrote on [Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:17:05 -0500]:
    > Justin wrote:
    >> Douglas Bailey wrote on [Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:03:32 -0500]:

    >>> Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard
    >>> to be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.

    >> Of course, how much of the dialogue was actually written by Whedon and
    >> left untouched?

    > I haven't yet been through most of the first-draft script included on the
    > _A:R_ supplements disc. The handful of pages I *did* flip through, however
    > -- Ripley's early conversation with Wren and Gediman, the introduction of
    > the _Betty_'s crew -- make me think that the final script doesn't differ
    > too significantly in tone from Whedon's original writing.
    >
    > But I'll welcome evidence to the contrary, if anyone has it. I'm not trying
    > to pick on Whedon: based on the documentary included on the supplements
    > disc, he seems to have had good intentions and genuinely wanted to do
    > something worthwhile with the series.

    From the man himself:

    I listened to half the dialogue in Alien 4, and I'm like, "That's
    idiotic," because of the way it was said. And nobody knows that. Nobody
    ever gets that. They say, "That was a stupid script," which is the worst
    pain in the world. I have a great long boring story about that, but I
    can tell you the very short version. In Alien 4, the director changed
    something so that it didn't make any sense. He wanted someone to go and
    get a gun and get killed by the alien, so I wrote that in and tried to
    make it work, but he directed it in a way that it made no sense
    whatsoever. And I was sitting there in the editing room, trying to come
    up with looplines to explain what's going on, to make the scene make
    sense, and I asked the director, "Can you just explain to me why he's
    doing this? Why is he going for this gun?" And the editor, who was
    French, turned to me and said, with a little leer on his face, [adopts
    gravelly, smarmy, French-accented voice] "Because eet's een the
    screept." And I actually went and dented the bathroom stall with my
    puddly little fist. I have never been angrier. But it's the classic,
    "When something goes wrong, you assume the writer's a dork." And that's
    painful.

    http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3731/avfeature_3731.html

    Justin, Dec 15, 2003
  19. Jordan Lund

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Douglas Bailey <> wrote:

    > Black Locust wrote:
    > > "Brian" <> wrote:

    > >> I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

    > > Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
    > > it all.

    > Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard to
    > be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.

    Can't we just say "appalling, childish crap, and leave it at that?"

    The AR "I am the man with whom not to ****" line, unbelievably, is one
    of several lines appearing in the current Paul Anderson "Alien vs
    Predator" shooting script. Don't ask me why...

    Peter Briggs, Dec 15, 2003
  20. Jordan Lund

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Justin <> wrote:

    > Of course, how much of the dialogue was actually written by Whedon and
    > left untouched?

    Nearly everything?

    Peter Briggs, Dec 15, 2003