    Alien res all region 2. im not intrerested in extras and that just the
    films is it worth me buying the quad set or are the films the same

    dave
    Dragon, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Dragon

    Nath Guest

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    news:b47Cb.28642$...
    > I have 4 dvds that I bought from my local shop Alien, Aliens, Alien 3,
    > Alien res all region 2. im not intrerested in extras and that just the
    > films is it worth me buying the quad set or are the films the same
    >

    > dave

    There are some reviews on the alien boxset... do a google search for "alien
    quadrilogly" (sp) :)

    AFAIK the only one worth getting over the existing version is Alien 3 (30
    mins extra)

    If you want the Quad boxset, the R1 is the best.
    Nath, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Dragon

    ML-78 Guest

    > I have 4 dvds that I bought from my local shop Alien, Aliens, Alien 3,
    > Alien res all region 2. im not intrerested in extras and that just the
    > films is it worth me buying the quad set or are the films the same

    The new set has two versions of each film - original and special editions. In
    the old set, "Aliens" was only included in its special edition.

    ML-78
    ML-78, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Dragon

    jayembee Guest

    "ML-78" <> wrote:

    >> I have 4 dvds that I bought from my local shop Alien,
    >> Aliens, Alien 3, Alien res all region 2. im not
    >> intrerested in extras and that just the films is it
    >> worth me buying the quad set or are the films the same

    > The new set has two versions of each film - original and
    > special editions. In the old set, "Aliens" was only
    > included in its special edition.

    On the other hand, in the case of the other three, the
    Special Editions are inferior to the original versions.

    OK, I can't honestly say that, not having sat down and
    watched the SEs of the three all the way through. But
    considering that...

    ....Ridley Scott makes it perfectly clear in his statement
    in the booklet (and marginally less clear in his video
    intro) that he considers the SE of ALIEN a purely marketing
    gimmick, and artistically inferior to the original...

    ....David Fincher didn't participate at all in the construction
    of his film's SE, and the producers of the disc set seem
    to go out of their way to apologize in advance for the
    "Assembly Cut"...

    ....Jean-Pierre Jeunet also makes it clear that the SE of
    ALIEN RESURRECTION is a marketing thing, and is decidedly
    *not* a "director's cut"...

    (However, I have to say that I prefer the alternate opening
    to the one used in the theatrical cut).

    ....I think it's safe to say that unless one is a fanatic
    about the series and wants to have the variant versions,
    having the original set is sufficient.

    Personally, I think it's more significant that the Quad's
    ALIENS disc features the theatrical cut as well as the SE
    than that alternate versions of the other three are included.

    By the by, one thing that I haven't seen people mention as
    a selling point about the Quad over the Legacy is that the
    first and fourth films have DTS tracks (at least, in R1).
    It's unfortunate that the other two films don't (I was
    especially hoping that ALIENS would have one).

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Dragon

    ML-78 Guest

    I agree completely with what you said and have only one comment:

    > ...I think it's safe to say that unless one is a fanatic
    > about the series and wants to have the variant versions,
    > having the original set is sufficient.

    Since the original set only includes the SE version of "Aliens" and not the
    theatrical cut, and that (according to reviews) "Alien" has been given a much
    improved transfer this would be a good enough reason to do update. Well, at
    least those two movies which are probably the only ones I'm going to buy.

    ML-78
    ML-78, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Dragon

    Nath Guest

    "ML-78" <> wrote in message
    > I agree completely with what you said and have only one comment:
    >
    > > ...I think it's safe to say that unless one is a fanatic
    > > about the series and wants to have the variant versions,
    > > having the original set is sufficient.

    > Since the original set only includes the SE version of "Aliens" and not

    the
    > theatrical cut, and that (according to reviews) "Alien" has been given a

    much
    > improved transfer this would be a good enough reason to do update. Well,

    at
    > least those two movies which are probably the only ones I'm going to buy.
    >

    > ML-78

    Alien looks fantastic anyway- I would be surprised it could get any better
    than that! I do prefer the longer cut of Aliens though.
    Nath, Dec 12, 2003