    --

    Irulan
    from now until the end of time
    lrulan, Feb 2, 2004

  2. lrulan

    jayembee Guest

    "lrulan" <> wrote:

    >I purchased the ALIEN LEGACY boxed set a while back. It has all the 4 movies
    >in it. Now, I think I want to purchase the ALIEN QUADRILOGY box set. Can
    >anyone tell me if there's anything in the earlier boxed set worth keeping? I
    >am trying to decide if I should keep both or try to sell the earlier
    >edition. TIA.

    The Ridley Scott commentary on the Quad edition of ALIEN is different
    from the one on the Legacy edition. I haven't listened to the latter
    since it originally came out, and the former not at all (yet), so I
    can't compare them. Doug Bailey has said that he thinks the Legacy
    commentary is the better one, though.

    Also, the isolated and alternate scores for ALIEN that are on the
    Legacy edition are not on the Quad edition.

    Assuming that your Legacy set only includes the four film DVDs, and
    you don't have the elusive mail-in-offer-only "fifth disc"...other
    than the above, everything on the Legacy DVDs are on the Quad DVDs.
    Whether you consider these worthwhile enough to keep the Legacy set is
    up to you.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 2, 2004

  3. lrulan wrote:
    > I purchased the ALIEN LEGACY boxed set a while back. It has all the 4
    > movies in it. Now, I think I want to purchase the ALIEN QUADRILOGY box
    > set. Can anyone tell me if there's anything in the earlier boxed set
    > worth keeping?

    Quoted from Ole Jonny Brænne's post in no.kultur.film
    <http://google.com/groups?selm=3fd64399%40news.broadpark.no>:

    These following extra-features ARE missing from..."The Alien
    Quadrilogy"...(these are in "The Alien Legacy" box set):

    -Original audio commentary track by Ridley Scott (from "Alien") (new
    commentary with the director has been recorded)
    -Jerry Goldsmith's isolated score (from "Alien")
    -The alternate music and production audio track (from "Alien")
    -The alien life-cycle and Nostromo crew bios ("easter egg" from "Alien")
    -Interview with James Cameron (from "Aliens")
    -"Making of" -featurette (from "Alien3")
    -"Making of" -featurette (from "Alien: Resurrection")
    -"The Alien Legacy" -documentary (from the "bonus disc")

    HTH,

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    We are the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel...
    Douglas Bailey, Feb 2, 2004
  4. lrulan

    jayembee Guest

    Douglas Bailey <> wrote:

    >These following extra-features ARE missing from..."The Alien
    >Quadrilogy"...(these are in "The Alien Legacy" box set):
    >
    >-Original audio commentary track by Ridley Scott (from "Alien") (new
    >commentary with the director has been recorded)
    >-Jerry Goldsmith's isolated score (from "Alien")
    >-The alternate music and production audio track (from "Alien")

    Noted by me.

    >-The alien life-cycle and Nostromo crew bios ("easter egg" from "Alien")
    >-Interview with James Cameron (from "Aliens")
    >-"Making of" -featurette (from "Alien3")
    >-"Making of" -featurette (from "Alien: Resurrection")

    Not noted by me. Oops. Thanks for the additions.

    >-"The Alien Legacy" -documentary (from the "bonus disc")

    Since this wasn't sold *with* the Legacy boxed set, I'm not convinced
    that it qualifies. Especially since Fox only pressed a specific number
    of discs, ran out early, and therefore screwed a lot of consumers who
    fulfilled all the requirements, and still didn't get a copy.

    Not that I'm bitter or anything.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 2, 2004
  5. lrulan

    Patrick Neve Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, jayembee wrote:
    > "lrulan" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I purchased the ALIEN LEGACY boxed set a while back. It has all the 4 movies
    > >in it. Now, I think I want to purchase the ALIEN QUADRILOGY box set. Can
    > >anyone tell me if there's anything in the earlier boxed set worth keeping? I
    > >am trying to decide if I should keep both or try to sell the earlier
    > >edition. TIA.

    > The Ridley Scott commentary on the Quad edition of ALIEN is different
    > from the one on the Legacy edition. I haven't listened to the latter
    > since it originally came out, and the former not at all (yet), so I
    > can't compare them. Doug Bailey has said that he thinks the Legacy
    > commentary is the better one, though.
    >
    > Also, the isolated and alternate scores for ALIEN that are on the
    > Legacy edition are not on the Quad edition.
    >
    > Assuming that your Legacy set only includes the four film DVDs, and
    > you don't have the elusive mail-in-offer-only "fifth disc"...other
    > than the above, everything on the Legacy DVDs are on the Quad DVDs.
    > Whether you consider these worthwhile enough to keep the Legacy set is
    > up to you.

    You could always dump the legacy set and pick up (for cheap) the old
    single-disc "Alien" 20th Anniversary Edition. This has all the
    aforementioned features that were later ported over to the Legacy set, and
    currently MIA from the Quad.
    Patrick Neve, Feb 2, 2004
  6. jayembee wrote:
    > Douglas Bailey <> wrote:

    [me quoting an older post by Ole Jonny Brænne]
    >> -The alien life-cycle and Nostromo crew bios ("easter egg" from "Alien")
    >> -Interview with James Cameron (from "Aliens")
    >> -"Making of" -featurette (from "Alien3")
    >> -"Making of" -featurette (from "Alien: Resurrection")

    > Not noted by me. Oops. Thanks for the additions.

    You're welcome, though I'm not sure I would have all these from memory,
    either: the featurettes on the final two discs didn't leave much impression
    on me. But I just quoted the first good post that came up on Google, and
    there those details were.

    >> -"The Alien Legacy" -documentary (from the "bonus disc")

    > Since this wasn't sold *with* the Legacy boxed set, I'm not convinced
    > that it qualifies.

    That's a fair view (especially since the OP specified that his/her box only
    contained "all the 4 movies"), but I figured that since it was listed in
    the post I quoted, I might as well include it for completeness.

    > Especially since Fox only pressed a specific number of discs, ran out
    > early, and therefore screwed a lot of consumers who fulfilled all the
    > requirements, and still didn't get a copy.
    >
    > Not that I'm bitter or anything.

    Ah. I must have been lucky, then: I got the Legacy set the day before
    street date (via mail-order) and sent the bonus-disc coupon off that same
    day. So I guess I was fairly high up in the queue.

    In any event, I'm not really certain how much you're missing. While the
    _Quadrilogy_ supplements and the documentary on Image's _The Alien Saga_
    don't feature the same interview sessions that appear on the _Legacy_ bonus
    disc, I think they cover more or less the same information -- from more or
    less the same principals -- about the background and creation of the first
    film. (Admittedly, I could be wrong about this impression: at this point,
    it's hard to remember what stories/reminiscences came from what source.)

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    Interrupting my train of thought, lines of longitude and latitude
    Douglas Bailey, Feb 2, 2004
  7. lrulan

    lrulan Guest

    Thanks for all the info on the ALIEN LEGACY/QUADRILOGY box sets. I do have
    the bonus disc, I guess I was one of the lucky ones to get it. After
    everything I've read I'm keeping the LEGACY box set AND purchasing the
    QUADRILOGY set too.

    lrulan, Feb 2, 2004
  8. lrulan

    Peter Briggs Guest

    jayembee <> wrote:

    >Doug Bailey has said that he thinks the Legacy
    > commentary is the better one, though.

    My old friend Doug is absolutely correct. Although, they're BOTH worth
    having.

    > Also, the isolated and alternate scores for ALIEN that are on the
    > Legacy edition are not on the Quad edition.

    Exactly!

    > you don't have the elusive mail-in-offer-only "fifth disc"...

    That fifth disc is worth having for a number of reasons, the marvellous
    John Mollo recollections being part of it.
    Peter Briggs, Feb 3, 2004
  9. lrulan

    Peter Briggs Guest

    lrulan <> wrote:

    > Thanks for all the info on the ALIEN LEGACY/QUADRILOGY box sets. I do have
    > the bonus disc, I guess I was one of the lucky ones to get it. After
    > everything I've read I'm keeping the LEGACY box set AND purchasing the
    > QUADRILOGY set too.

    Good man!

    Have you seen the beautiful Japanese Alien head "box" that was on the
    Digitalbits today? Man, oh, man....as if I didn't have enough shelf
    storage problems!!!
    Peter Briggs, Feb 3, 2004
  10. lrulan

    d a v e Guest

    "lrulan" <> wrote in message
    > I purchased the ALIEN LEGACY boxed set a while back. It has all the 4

    movies
    > in it. Now, I think I want to purchase the ALIEN QUADRILOGY box set. Can
    > anyone tell me if there's anything in the earlier boxed set worth keeping?

    > am trying to decide if I should keep both or try to sell the earlier
    > edition. TIA.
    >
    > --

    i'd wait for this one:
    http://thedigitalbits.com/#alienhead
    scroll down a bit...
    d a v e, Feb 3, 2004
  11. lrulan

    Lester Bangs Guest

    Look at the Japan Version of the Quad Box Set.... It has Aliens (i.e. Alien
    2) in DTS where are no other version has it...

    See . http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20040202/fox02.jpg

    --
    Regards

    Lester Bangs
    No [SPACE] to reply
    Bored ... Check out what drains my wallet.. consistently
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=ppurcell&sc=C&type=O&ls=D

    "Festivous for the Rest of Us" - Costanza Senior

    Lester Bangs, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Douglas Bailey <> wrote in message news:<1cxzbw8599ru1$>...
    > lrulan wrote:
    > > I purchased the ALIEN LEGACY boxed set a while back. It has all the 4
    > > movies in it. Now, I think I want to purchase the ALIEN QUADRILOGY box
    > > set. Can anyone tell me if there's anything in the earlier boxed set
    > > worth keeping?

    > Quoted from Ole Jonny Brænne's post in no.kultur.film
    > <http://google.com/groups?selm=3fd64399%40news.broadpark.no>:

    > These following extra-features ARE missing from..."The Alien
    > Quadrilogy"...(these are in "The Alien Legacy" box set):
    >
    > -Original audio commentary track by Ridley Scott (from "Alien") (new
    > commentary with the director has been recorded)

    The new commentary is a collection of comments from a variety of cast
    and crew, so Ridley's input is scaled down to a fraction of the
    original commentary track. I for one find Ridley's original one-man
    commentary to be far superior, far more enlightening about the making
    of the film. He just came so well prepared for it (either that, or he
    is astonishingly good at speaking extemporaneously in great detail).
    The new commentary is cool, too, if you like just to hear the cast
    sitting around dishing about behind-the-scenes anecdotes. But you'd
    have the pry the legacy version of Alien from my cold, dead hands ...

    DB.

    Dogger the Filmgoblin, Feb 4, 2004