    Those of you who've bought many different TV sets on DVD -- which of these
    formats is the norm?

    Thanks.

    Melquiades, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Melquiades <> wrote:

    > The Buffy and Angel sets come in these giant fold-out boxes whie the
    > Alias set contains three plastic cases holding two discs apiece....which
    > of these formats is the norm?

    I'm not sure there really *is* a norm. _Star Trek: TNG_ and _The
    Simpsons_ come in fold-out cardboard "DigiPaks," usually with an outer
    cardboard shell. _Star Trek: DS9_ and _CSI_ and _Sex in the City_ come
    in plastic "flip-book" cases with several shallow disc trays attached
    to a clear backing flap. A&E's shows all come in keep cases (usually
    two, with a cardboard shell).

    I prefer the _DS9_/_CSI_/_SitC_ cases, myself: they're durable, very
    compact on the shelf (since the plastic covers are thinner than
    cardboard), and you don't have to cover the entire couch or table just
    to get to Disc Five (or whatever).

    Opinions will vary, however.

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 4, 2003

  3. (Melquiades) wrote in

    > The Buffy and Angel sets come in these giant fold-out boxes whie the
    > Alias set contains three plastic cases holding two discs apiece. I
    > find the Alias packaging much more user-friendly.
    >
    > Those of you who've bought many different TV sets on DVD -- which of
    > these formats is the norm?

    As someone else said, there really isn't a "norm". The Buffy/Angel-
    style cases seem to be a bit more popular, though. Keepcases in boxes
    seem to be used most often when the series is sold by individual discs
    as well as in season sets.

    Aesthetically, I like the Buffy boxes. They're really eye-catching and
    yet so small. However, I do wonder what will happen if they should
    happen to get knocked off the shelf one day...

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Melquiades

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > I prefer the _DS9_/_CSI_/_SitC_ cases, myself: they're durable, very
    > compact on the shelf (since the plastic covers are thinner than
    > cardboard), and you don't have to cover the entire couch or table just
    > to get to Disc Five (or whatever).

    I'm fond of the thin keepcases held in an outer box as Family Guy and
    Futurama are packaged.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Melquiades

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <4Dx5b.28055$>,
    (Melquiades) wrote:

    > The Buffy and Angel sets come in these giant fold-out boxes whie the Alias
    > set
    > contains three plastic cases holding two discs apiece. I find the Alias
    > packaging much more user-friendly.

    I agree. My problem with the foldout digipaks is that after you unfold
    they stretch out for like 3 feet or something. And I'm so anal and
    protective of my Buffy/Angel sets that if the table or desk or whatever
    I have them on is not completely clean I can't even get myself to open
    them up. The one plus is that the digipaks allow for a lot of nice
    artwork.

    > Those of you who've bought many different TV sets on DVD -- which of these
    > formats is the norm?

    The digipaks are definitely the norm, but it's becoming more common to
    see keepcases. Probably because a lot of people have complained to the
    studios about the foldout digipaks.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Sep 4, 2003
  6. In news:1Iy5b.28350$,
    Joshua Zyber <> said in a panic:
    > "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    >> I prefer the _DS9_/_CSI_/_SitC_ cases, myself: they're durable, very
    >> compact on the shelf (since the plastic covers are thinner than
    >> cardboard), and you don't have to cover the entire couch or table
    >> just to get to Disc Five (or whatever).

    > I'm fond of the thin keepcases held in an outer box as Family Guy and
    > Futurama are packaged.

    Personally I hate those cases since I feel like I have to be ultra cautious
    when taking the disc out and also when putting it back in. Thankfully
    I found alternate artwork on dvdcoverart.com for my FG Volume 1
    boxset for standard Armary cases. The original boxset has been used
    as a decoration on top of my right speaker of my home theater tho. :)

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Sep 4, 2003
  7. In news:,
    Black Locust <> said in a panic:
    > The digipaks are definitely the norm, but it's becoming more common to
    > see keepcases. Probably because a lot of people have complained to the
    > studios about the foldout digipaks.

    The biggest thing I have noticed myself is the in-ring holders
    tend to be wrecked on some of the foldout digipaks, which leads
    to some of the discs getting out of place and getting damaged
    during shipping and while being out on the sales floor. Its scary
    sometimes watching the way customers treat products like DVDs
    on the floor, they just assume that nothing can damage them so they
    toss them around and jiggle them in multiple directions. I have had to
    defective out quite a few DVDs after said customer had done
    such acts then decided not to buy said DVD. Just this past week
    alone I had to send back two DVDs from such acts, one of them
    being a copy of "Ringu" while the other one thankfully was a copy
    of "Freddy Got Fingered." Sadly I think I'll see the latter one replaced
    before the former will.... :-(

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Sep 4, 2003
  8. Joshua Zyber <> wrote:
    > "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message

    > > I prefer the _DS9_/_CSI_/_SitC_ cases, myself...

    > I'm fond of the thin keepcases held in an outer box as Family Guy and
    > Futurama are packaged.

    I haven't seen those. Are the keepcases about the same thickness as the
    _Panic Room_ and _Grease_ digipaks (i.e., about half the thickness of
    regular keep cases)?

    I'll look at _Family Guy_ and _Futurama_ next time I'm at a B&M store.

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 4, 2003
  9. Melquiades

    > > I'm fond of the thin keepcases held in an outer box as Family Guy

    and
    > > Futurama are packaged.

    > I haven't seen those. Are the keepcases about the same thickness as

    the
    > _Panic Room_ and _Grease_ digipaks (i.e., about half the thickness of
    > regular keep cases)?

    Yes, they are the Thin-Pak design, seen here:

    http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=465&subcat=252&product_
    id=cdvdtp%2Dc

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 4, 2003
  10. Melquiades

    jayembee Guest

    Black Locust <> wrote:

    > My problem with the foldout digipaks is that after you
    > unfold they stretch out for like 3 feet or something.

    Except that you don't really need to unfold the entire
    thing to get at any one disc.

    > And I'm so anal and protective of my Buffy/Angel sets
    > that if the table or desk or whatever I have them on
    > is not completely clean I can't even get myself to open
    > them up. The one plus is that the digipaks allow for a
    > lot of nice artwork.

    In the case of BUFFY, the Season 1 set for Region 2 was
    even spiffier, as the digipack unfolded into a cross. :)

    I rather like the digipacks, myself, but as others have
    said, I prefer the "book" design, as with the DS9 sets.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 4, 2003
  11. Melquiades

    jayembee Guest

    "Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little" <> wrote:

    > Its scary sometimes watching the way customers treat products
    > like DVDs on the floor, they just assume that nothing can
    > damage them so they toss them around and jiggle them in
    > multiple directions. I have had to defective out quite a few
    > DVDs after said customer had done such acts then decided not
    > to buy said DVD.

    Unfortunately, that's the only real way to tell if the disc
    has come off the hub before getting it home (or getting out
    to the parking lot and opening the case).

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 4, 2003
  12. Melquiades

    Writer R5 Guest

    I prefer keep cases in general, but like the way B5, DS9, and CSI are packaged.

    GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

    Writer R5, Sep 4, 2003
  13. Melquiades

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little" <> wrote:

    > Its scary sometimes watching the way customers treat products
    > like DVDs on the floor, they just assume that nothing can
    > damage them so they toss them around and jiggle them in
    > multiple directions. I have had to defective out quite a few
    > DVDs after said customer had done such acts then decided not
    > to buy said DVD.

    I actually had this problem with my season 3 of Buffy set. When I opened
    it up I discovered disc 1 one had been knocked loose and it had been
    scuffed up by the "fingers" that hold the disc in place pretty badly.
    The strange thing is it wasn't the result of careless idiots in the
    store throwing the box around. I know this because I purchased the set
    the day it was released and one of the employees at Best Buy handed it
    to me straight out of their storage box(he was just getting ready to put
    them on the shelf). So it must have been knocked loose while being
    shipped. Fortunately the disc still plays fine on my players. Though I
    once tried to play the disc on my friends Xbox and the damn thing locked
    up on the main menu. Just goes to show you that video game consoles are
    NOT good DVD players. :)
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Sep 5, 2003