algorithm: printer resolution * print format = number of megapixel to be used

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Timur, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Timur

    Timur Guest

    I read several articles (both on magazines and on usenet posting)
    stating the maximum size that one can print a digital picture (given a
    fixed number of megapixel) without losing quality. None of them though
    was explaining the proper (scientific way) to calculate that...

    I assume that there should be one, I was thinking something like:

    the number of DPI the printer is capable of times the size we want to
    print should be not minor than the number of megapixel. Of course it
    is not working like that (just try with your favourite number).

    One ratio that I saw quite often is that 3megapixel allows maximum
    8x10 (inches) printout. (BTW, in my very personal experience also
    10x12 are good at that resolution)

    For those who believe that the number I provided is correct: how do
    you make the calculation to prove that? Is it just practical
    experience?
    For those who think that the numbers are wrong: how do you proof your
    point?

    Thanks a lot,
    Timur

    Timur, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Timur

    Harvey Guest

    See http://digigraphica.com/oped/03/resolution.shtml It explains the
    calculation. Basically at a printer setting of 200 dpi you have, for an 8
    by 10, 1600 by 2000 dots or 3.2 mp.

    Harvey, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Timur

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Re: algorithm: printer resolution * print format = number of megapixelto be used

    The problem here is that modern error diffusion dither algorithms do not
    use a FIXED number of printer dots per pixel. Old 'mock halftone'
    printing did, say an array of 4 x 4 printer dots per pixel. But modern
    algorithms maintain only an average number of dots per pixel, and even
    that average number is somewhat variable.

    Sidenote- seems funny to use the term modern to exclude things that we
    used only about fifteen years ago or so :)

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Timur

    Timur Guest

    "Harvey" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > See http://digigraphica.com/oped/03/resolution.shtml It explains the
    > calculation. Basically at a printer setting of 200 dpi you have, for an 8
    > by 10, 1600 by 2000 dots or 3.2 mp.

    Thanks a lot, Harvey! This was exactly what I was looking for.

    regards,
    Timur

    Timur, Dec 26, 2003