Alert - IE active x flaw

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Harrison, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Harrison

    Harrison Guest

    from http://www.internet-magazine.com/news/view.asp?id=3732

    Internet Explorer flaw could send your phone bill soaring

    Innocent Web users are being landed with huge phone bills, as hackers
    exploit a security hole in Internet Explorer and connect their
    computers to expensive $5-per-minute porn lines.

    The attack works by sending computer users to sites that change a
    computer's dial-up settings, connecting it to expensive long distance
    telephone numbers instead of the user's ISP.

    Hackers are also exploiting the security hole to hijack AOL Instant
    Messenger accounts, changing passwords and sending a user's 'buddies'
    to malicious Web pages.

    Yet another type of attack sends users to pay-per-click sites, where
    spammers receive money for every click they receive.

    The original hole in Internet Explorer was discovered in August, and
    Microsoft issued a patch at the time.

    But there appear to be variations on the hole, which the existing
    patch can't fix.
    www.microsoft.com/security
    Harrison, Sep 30, 2003

  2. B. Al. Zeebub, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Harrison

    Harrison Guest

    If Mozilla or Konquerer were used by over 90% of us then they would be
    the targets of hackers and crackers instead of IE.

    Harrison, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Harrison

    Jammer Guest

    What about netscape

    --
    Jammer :)

    In news:d9geb.130638$,
    B. Al. Zeebub <> typed: with a :)

    Jammer, Sep 30, 2003
  5. Harrison

    Kraftee Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > from http://www.internet-magazine.com/news/view.asp?id=3732
    >
    > Internet Explorer flaw could send your phone bill soaring

    Old, old, very old news, just dressed up differently, if you will
    allow your porn sites to download unknown apps to your system, what do
    you expect???
    --
    B-)

    Don't practice safe hex.......
    do it!!
    Kraftee, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Harrison

    Kraftee Guest

    Jammer wrote:
    > What about netscape

    Well, what about it??
    --
    B-)

    Don't practice safe hex.......
    do it!!
    Kraftee, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Harrison

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:31:25 -0400, Harrison wrote:

    >If Mozilla or Konquerer were used by over 90% of us then they would be
    >the targets of hackers and crackers instead of IE.

    You have seen the Bugzilla (Mozilla) reporting system compared to wait
    until MS do something about it?

    >On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:10:17 GMT, "B. Al. Zeebub"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:25:27 -0400, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :
    >>
    >>> from http://www.internet-magazine.com/news/view.asp?id=3732
    >>>
    >>> Internet Explorer flaw could send your phone bill soaring
    >>>

    >>Easy: stop using IE6

    Me
    why?, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Harrison

    Jammer Guest

    Is Netscape flawed like IE is flawed? I like IE

    --
    Jammer :)

    In news:1wieb.3480$,
    Kraftee <> typed: with a :)