Alert! Cover was previously removed - WTF????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vladdie, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Vladdie

    Vladdie Guest

    I just swapped out the CMOS battery on my Dell Optiplex GX-1 PC, running
    Windows XP/P3/256 megs of RAM. After I reset the date in the CMOS, I
    rebooted, and got the following message on the screen right after POST:

    "Alert! Cover was previously removed."

    I've seen this before on other Dell PCs, but I've never questioned it - but
    because it's happening to me now, I'm curious as to its origins.

    Is this the end result of changing CMOS batteries, because I never saw it
    before I did it. And is there any way to keep it from coming up?

    ---

    Vladdie, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Vladdie

    °Mike° Guest

    Stopping the "Cover was previously removed" alert on Dell computers
    http://www.helpdesk.pdx.edu/kb/article.cgi?article=49

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:10:38 GMT, in
    <O5nOa.1348$>
    Vladdie scrawled:

    >I just swapped out the CMOS battery on my Dell Optiplex GX-1 PC, running
    >Windows XP/P3/256 megs of RAM. After I reset the date in the CMOS, I
    >rebooted, and got the following message on the screen right after POST:
    >
    >"Alert! Cover was previously removed."
    >
    >I've seen this before on other Dell PCs, but I've never questioned it - but
    >because it's happening to me now, I'm curious as to its origins.
    >
    >Is this the end result of changing CMOS batteries, because I never saw it
    >before I did it. And is there any way to keep it from coming up?
    >

    >---

    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2003