Aldi VoIP phone

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Newsposter, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. Newsposter

    Newsposter Guest

    Newsposter, Dec 3, 2006

  2. Newsposter

    RH Guest

    "Newsposter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Hi,

    Aldi are selling a VoIP phone for £10 (with £5 credit). Has anyone
    tried this?. If so, is it any good?.

    Also, I presume this can be used with other VoIP services such as
    Skype.

    http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_4928.html

    Thanks
    ==================

    This is the same phone as tesco sells, of which I have one works well with
    skype, but you may need to download the skype drivers to use the buttons

    RH, Dec 3, 2006

  3. Newsposter

    Guest

    On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 10:52:24 -0000, "RH" <>
    wrote:

    >Aldi are selling a VoIP phone for £10 (with £5 credit). Has anyone
    >tried this?. If so, is it any good?.

    In general, ALDI computer stuff is good, but the tariffs don't look
    tempting at all.

    >Also, I presume this can be used with other VoIP services such as
    >Skype.

    Skype is a proprietary system that is different from all other VOIP.
    "Proper" VOIP hardware won't do Skype, and vice versa.

    , Dec 3, 2006
  4. Newsposter

    TheMgt Guest

    TheMgt, Dec 3, 2006
  5. Newsposter

    wrote:

    >"Newsposter" <> wrote in message
    >Hi,
    >
    >Aldi are selling a VoIP phone for £10 (with £5 credit). Has anyone
    >tried this?. If so, is it any good?.
    >
    >Also, I presume this can be used with other VoIP services such as
    >Skype.
    >
    >http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_4928.html
    >
    >Thanks
    >==================
    >
    >This is the same phone as tesco sells, of which I have one works well with
    >skype, but you may need to download the skype drivers to use the buttons

    What they do not tell you is that you cannot just put the fiver on the
    account they require a ten pound top also so twenty five quid down the
    drain in one afternoon .I should have stuck to my guns and kept a
    promise that I made to myself some time ago NEVER to go near an ALDI
    or a LIDIL store

    , Dec 3, 2006
  6. Newsposter

    Mr Woo Guest

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:32:56 GMT, wrote:

    >promise that I made to myself some time ago NEVER to go near an ALDI
    >or a LIDIL store

    That would be Lidl.

    W.

    Mr Woo, Dec 3, 2006
  7. Thus spaketh Mr Woo:
    > On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:32:56 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >> promise that I made to myself some time ago NEVER to go near an ALDI
    >> or a LIDIL store

    > That would be Lidl.
    >
    > W.

    Don't worry, Ron hates anything German, he's still the Village idiot
    around here, most people have him killfiled as he's a right muppet.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 3, 2006
  8. Newsposter

    Guest

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:15:10 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Don't worry, Ron hates anything German, he's still the Village idiot
    >around here, most people have him killfiled as he's a right muppet.

    That's really not fair. Village idiots are generally well liked and
    have a place in the community.

    I'd not realised that his pathetic vendetta against Sipgate was racist
    in nature, but now you point it out it does add up.

    However, it's good to know that he doesn't shop in Lidl or Aldi. I
    wonder how he feels about the royal family. They're German, aren't
    they?

    , Dec 4, 2006
  9. Newsposter

    Guest

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:33:04 +0000, Mr Woo <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:32:56 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>promise that I made to myself some time ago NEVER to go near an ALDI
    >>or a LIDIL store

    >That would be Lidl.
    >
    >W.

    It would just shows how much interest I take in scruffy stores of this
    nature .

    , Dec 4, 2006
  10. Newsposter

    Guest

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:07:03 +0000, wrote:

    >>Don't worry, Ron hates anything German, he's still the Village idiot
    >>around here, most people have him killfiled as he's a right muppet.

    What bloody nonsense you do talk I have wished for many a long year
    that Hitler had won the last war and I am not joking .

    >I'd not realised that his pathetic vendetta against Sipgate was racist
    >in nature, but now you point it out it does add up.

    I just cannot stand people who own companies who go off for long
    weekends and leave the service to run itself not giving a damn if the
    service goes down or not just has Sipgate's service did .

    , Dec 4, 2006
  11. Newsposter

    Mr Woo Guest

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 01:43:06 GMT, wrote:

    >It would just shows how much interest I take in scruffy stores of this
    >nature .

    On the contrary. It simply shows what an ill informed bigoted fuckwit
    you are. It also shows that you are unable to string a meaningful
    sentence together.

    Why anyone would take any notice of your ramblings, I fail to see.

    W.

    Mr Woo, Dec 4, 2006
  12. Newsposter

    Geoff Guest

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:32:56 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 10:52:24 -0000, "RH" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"Newsposter" <> wrote in message
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Aldi are selling a VoIP phone for £10 (with £5 credit). Has anyone
    >>tried this?. If so, is it any good?.
    >>
    >>Also, I presume this can be used with other VoIP services such as
    >>Skype.
    >>
    >>http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_4928.html
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>==================
    >>
    >>This is the same phone as tesco sells, of which I have one works well with
    >>skype, but you may need to download the skype drivers to use the buttons
    >>

    >What they do not tell you is that you cannot just put the fiver on the
    >account they require a ten pound top also so twenty five quid down the
    >drain in one afternoon .I should have stuck to my guns and kept a
    >promise that I made to myself some time ago NEVER to go near an ALDI
    >or a LIDIL store

    GREAT idea
    That way we don't have to bump into wasters like you

    Geoff, Dec 4, 2006
  13. Newsposter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:07:03 +0000,
    > wrote:
    >

    > > > Don't worry, Ron hates anything German, he's still
    > > > the Village idiot around here, most people have him
    > > > killfiled as he's a right muppet.

    > What bloody nonsense you do talk I have wished for many a
    > long year that Hitler had won the last war and I am not
    > joking .

    I hereby invoke Godwin's Law.

    End of thread.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 4, 2006
  14. Newsposter

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    >> What bloody nonsense you do talk I have wished for many a
    >> long year that Hitler had won the last war and I am not
    >> joking .

    > I hereby invoke Godwin's Law.
    >
    > End of thread.

    You, sir, do not understand Godwin's Law.

    Paul Cupis, Dec 4, 2006
  15. Newsposter

    Newsposter Guest

    On Dec 3, 6:11 pm, TheMgt <> wrote:
    > Newsposter wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > Aldi are selling a VoIP phone for £10 (with £5 credit). Has anyone
    > > tried this?. If so, is it any good?.

    > > Also, I presume this can be used with other VoIP services such as
    > > Skype.Yes. Seehttp://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.aspandhttp://www.yealink.com/en/skypedown.asp

    Thanks for that.

    Newsposter, Dec 4, 2006
  16. Newsposter

    Newsposter Guest

    On Dec 3, 5:13 pm, wrote:
    > On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 10:52:24 -0000, "RH" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Aldi are selling a VoIP phone for £10 (with £5 credit). Has anyone
    > >tried this?. If so, is it any good?.In general, ALDI computer stuff is good, but the tariffs don't look

    > tempting at all.
    >

    > >Also, I presume this can be used with other VoIP services such as
    > >Skype.Skype is a proprietary system that is different from all other VOIP.

    > "Proper" VOIP hardware won't do Skype, and vice versa.

    I was thinking of buying it as a cheap VoIP phone to be used with
    Skype. I checked ALDI tariffs and they were not that cheap (e.g. USA
    2p/min, I pay 1p/min with 1899 [+4p connection])

    Newsposter, Dec 4, 2006
  17. Newsposter

    Newsposter Guest

    On Dec 3, 7:32 pm, wrote:
    > On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 10:52:24 -0000, "RH" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Newsposter" <> wrote in message
    > >Hi,

    > >Aldi are selling a VoIP phone for £10 (with £5 credit). Has anyone
    > >tried this?. If so, is it any good?.

    > >Also, I presume this can be used with other VoIP services such as
    > >Skype.

    > >http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_4928.html

    > >Thanks
    > >==================

    > >This is the same phone as tesco sells, of which I have one works well with
    > >skype, but you may need to download the skype drivers to use the buttonsWhat they do not tell you is that you cannot just put the fiver on the

    > account they require a ten pound top also so twenty five quid down the
    > drain in one afternoon .I should have stuck to my guns and kept a
    > promise that I made to myself some time ago NEVER to go near an ALDI
    > or a LIDIL store

    That's interesting. I don't think I will want to spend £10 to save £5.

    Newsposter, Dec 4, 2006
  18. Thus spaketh Newsposter:
    > On Dec 3, 5:13 pm, wrote:
    >> On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 10:52:24 -0000, "RH"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Aldi are selling a VoIP phone for £10 (with £5 credit). Has anyone
    >>> tried this?. If so, is it any good?.In general, ALDI computer stuff
    >>> is good, but the tariffs don't look tempting at all.

    >>> Also, I presume this can be used with other VoIP services such as
    >>> Skype.Skype is a proprietary system that is different from all
    >>> other VOIP.

    >> "Proper" VOIP hardware won't do Skype, and vice versa.

    > I was thinking of buying it as a cheap VoIP phone to be used with
    > Skype. I checked ALDI tariffs and they were not that cheap (e.g. USA
    > 2p/min, I pay 1p/min with 1899 [+4p connection])

    Skype aren't any better, Skype are one of the dearer providers.

    Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 4, 2006
  19. Newsposter

    Newsposter Guest

    On Dec 4, 2:04 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > Thus spaketh Newsposter:
    >

    > > On Dec 3, 5:13 pm, wrote:

    > >> "Proper" VOIP hardware won't do Skype, and vice versa.

    > > I was thinking of buying it as a cheap VoIP phone to be used with
    > > Skype. I checked ALDI tariffs and they were not that cheap (e.g. USA
    > > 2p/min, I pay 1p/min with 1899 [+4p connection])Skype aren't any better, Skype are one of the dearer providers.

    What about Voipbuster and Voipcheap?. Are these any good?.
    Also, instead of using a head set, can I use this Aldi phone instead?.

    Thanks

    Newsposter, Dec 4, 2006
  20. Newsposter

    Guest

    Paul Cupis wrote:

    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message

    > >> What bloody nonsense you do talk I have wished for many a
    > >> long year that Hitler had won the last war and I am not
    > >> joking .

    > > I hereby invoke Godwin's Law.
    > >
    > > End of thread.

    > You, sir, do not understand Godwin's Law.

    Nor did I, until I checked wikkipedia.

    Quote: ""RGB's Restriction of Quirk's Exception", also states: "In
    cases where the subject of the comparison to Hitler fails to recognize
    the applicability of Quirk's Exception, Quirk's Exception shall not
    apply and Godwin's Law shall take effect in its normal manner.""

    Quite. 'Mornington Crescent', anyone?

    , Dec 4, 2006