    where pixellation occurs. My point is how do I know if the loss of detail is
    due to the zoom level or poor focus?

    If replying direct remove Z's from email address
    John, Jan 25, 2004

  2. John

    Dave Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:8TOQb.8$...
    > I've just bought one of these (DC5300 5mpx) - seems good for £200

    inclusive

    &
    > don't know if this is 'normal'. Question is how can I tell if the camera

    is
    > focussing properly? Pictures look very detailed but as you zoom in on PSP
    > obviously the detail gets fuzzy at some point due to reaching the level
    > where pixellation occurs. My point is how do I know if the loss of detail

    is
    > due to the zoom level or poor focus?
    >
    > If replying direct remove Z's from email address

    Hi,

    IIRC there was a similar post here not long ago, asking the same question
    about the Jessops version of this camera, and a response that stated that
    both the Aldi and Jessops cameras were in fact Toshiba 5300 clones - review
    at www.dpreview.com I think.

    HTH
    Dave, Jan 25, 2004

  3. "John" <> wrote in message
    > I've just bought one of these (DC5300 5mpx) - seems good for £200 inclusive
    > of 128 MB SD card and 3 year warranty. Have noticed there is a slight
    > movement (1mm lateral and back and forth) in the lens barrel when extended &
    > don't know if this is 'normal'. Question is how can I tell if the camera is
    > focussing properly? Pictures look very detailed but as you zoom in on PSP
    > obviously the detail gets fuzzy at some point due to reaching the level
    > where pixellation occurs. My point is how do I know if the loss of detail is
    > due to the zoom level or poor focus?

    I think the simple answer to the "zoom level or poor focus" question is, if the picture
    is
    sharp at 1:1 (or nomal viewing), then it's sharp.

    Anyway, it probably rare that the camera will focus poorly, as in not work correctly.
    More likely, the camera may focus well, but on the wrong place. To alieviate this,
    always press the button half-way and get a focus lock, then ensure its on the right
    thing, before continuing to press the button and taking the picture.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum
    And they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them
    No, no, no / Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
    They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot."
    Dan Wojciechowski, Jan 29, 2004