Aldi Computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Peter Clements, Mar 23, 2010.

  1. Peter Clements, Mar 23, 2010

  2. Peter Clements

    VanguardLH Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:

    > I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00
    >
    > There must be snags I haven't seen.

    Same price I can get the same parts at Newegg. Of course, I have to spend 1
    hour slapping the parts together. Doesn't seem like anything special for
    price; however, they do include support for 3 years (I didn't bother to hunt
    down their warranty policy to see if it was worth anything).

    VanguardLH, Mar 23, 2010

  3. Peter Clements

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:40:44 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

    > I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00
    >
    > There must be snags I haven't seen.

    A fair price for what it is. It's the name I don't know about.
    In the USA, Aldi is the name of a wholesale/bulk style grocery store chain.
    But I saw the name "Akoya"? Even though the price may be attractive, get
    one backed by a better known company.

    richard, Mar 23, 2010
  4. "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:40:44 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:
    >
    >> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    >> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00
    >>
    >> There must be snags I haven't seen.

    > A fair price for what it is. It's the name I don't know about.
    > In the USA, Aldi is the name of a wholesale/bulk style grocery store
    > chain.
    > But I saw the name "Akoya"? Even though the price may be attractive, get
    > one backed by a better known company.

    Like Medion? A massive German company that makes this particular machine.

    --
    Unlock Your Phone's Potential
    www.UselessInfo.org.uk

    Richard Colton, Mar 23, 2010
  5. Peter Clements

    rf Guest

    rf, Mar 23, 2010
  6. Peter Clements

    chuckcar Guest

    Peter Clements <> wrote in

    > I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2
    > 010-03-22-12-00
    >
    > There must be snags I haven't seen.

    First thing to check: the rating on the power supply. For that price, I
    seriously doubt you're looking at anything but the *very* cheapest (in
    *both* meanings) of parts.

    So to your first question: It always is.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 23, 2010
  7. Peter Clements

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Clements <> wrote in
    >
    >> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    >> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2
    >> 010-03-22-12-00
    >>
    >> There must be snags I haven't seen.

    > First thing to check: the rating on the power supply.

    Oh come on chucktard. Do you seriously really think anybody is going to sell
    a computer these days, under waranty, that does not have a power supply good
    enough for the job? It's like asking the ford dealer if his shiny new car
    has an engine big enough to drag the car up the hill.

    Oh, yes, then again, I forgot, you would. You don't even now what an ampere
    is, do you? As per your post wherein a 3.8 amp power supply *always*
    delivers 3.8 amperes and so your precious resistor will *always* drop IIRC
    three volts across it, no matter what the load. Now for the really hard
    part: quote Ohm's law, and all of its implications.

    Didn't think you could.

    > For that price, I
    > seriously doubt you're looking at anything but the *very* cheapest (in
    > *both* meanings) of parts.

    How would you fucking know?

    > So to your first question: It always is.

    Huh? What is an "always is"?

    Fucking idiot.

    rf, Mar 23, 2010
  8. "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter Clements" <> wrote in message
    >>I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    >> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00
    >>
    >> There must be snags I haven't seen.

    > Snags? I just love a plate of blackly carcinogenic snags and mash, with
    > the odd arty farty bean and a helping of greenly pees.
    >
    > http://www.thefoodpornographer.com/2008/07/21/bangers-mash-beans-corn-and-peas/

    Rattle yer dags, that dish looks like it has quad core!

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Mar 23, 2010
  9. Peter Clements

    Exiddor Guest

    On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:40:44 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

    > I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00
    >
    > There must be snags I haven't seen.

    I've had (still have) three Medion machines from Aldi over the past six
    years and they've all been solid and reliable. The oldest is up in the
    attic running 24/7/365 as a server and I can't remember the last time I
    looked at it. The other two machines are in daily use and are fast,
    solid and reliable and I couldn't wish for anything better at the price.
    My newest machine (MD8833) is so quiet I can hardly tell when it's
    switched on.

    I'd say go for it.

    Oh, almost forgot - I also have two Medion laptops from Aldi and they
    too have proved to be solid and reliable.

    The only problem I've found with Aldi is that you have to pay 3p for
    their carrier bags :)

    --
    Exiddor.

    Exiddor, Mar 23, 2010
  10. Peter Clements

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:40:44 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

    > I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?

    WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00

    > There must be snags I haven't seen.

    A friend of mine bought that recently. Apart from the learning curve to
    get to grips with Win 7 (she only knew XP heretofore), she's cock-a-hoop
    with it.

    Turning fucking cartwheels, she is.

    Aardvark, Mar 23, 2010
  11. Peter Clements

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:31:46 -0700, richard wrote:

    > Even though the price may be attractive, get one backed by a better
    > known company.

    You mean one that has more than one store on every fucking street corner?

    Aardvark, Mar 23, 2010
  12. Peter Clements

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-03-23, Peter Clements <> wrote:
    > I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00
    >
    > There must be snags I haven't seen.

    No monitor included in the price, nor a keyboard. But it has at least one
    good review
    <http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/hardware/2239003/medion-p4340d-desktop-computer>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 23, 2010
  13. Peter Clements

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:34:27 +0000, Exiddor wrote:

    > Oh, almost forgot - I also have two Medion laptops from Aldi and they
    > too have proved to be solid and reliable.
    >
    > The only problem I've found with Aldi is that you have to pay 3p for
    > their carrier bags

    Scandalous, innit?

    Aardvark, Mar 23, 2010
  14. On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:40:44 +0000, Peter Clements <> wrote:
    > I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    > http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00
    >
    > There must be snags I haven't seen.

    At the British pound's value on this date, it'll come out to about $720, for
    the price.

    --
    Patrick L. "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey () Houston, Texas
    www.io.com/~patrick/aeros.php (TCI's 2009-10 Houston Aeros) AA#2273

    The Chief Instigator, Mar 23, 2010
  15. On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:16:50 -0700, Evan Platt <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:31:46 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>A fair price for what it is. It's the name I don't know about.

    > You also don't know what a bridge modem is, so....
    >
    >>In the USA, Aldi is the name of a wholesale/bulk style grocery store chain.
    >>But I saw the name "Akoya"? Even though the price may be attractive, get
    >>one backed by a better known company.

    > God... What a idiot.

    Aldi's a grocery store chain, but they're confining them in Texas to the
    Dallas-Fort Worth conglomeration. (The two closest stores to Houston?
    Mansfield and Duncanville...only a 4.5-5 hour drive away.)

    The Chief Instigator, Mar 23, 2010
  16. On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:11:52 +0000, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2010-03-23, Peter Clements <> wrote:
    >> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    >> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00
    >>
    >> There must be snags I haven't seen.

    >No monitor included in the price, nor a keyboard. But it has at least one
    >good review
    ><http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/hardware/2239003/medion-p4340d-desktop-computer>

    Thanks to everybody who replied. I decided to buy one but when I went
    to Aldi they had sold out. That is the second time it has happened to
    me and I am begriming to wonder if the store ever has these in stock.
    I cannot be arsed to go through all that again and I will buy
    something different elsewhere.

    Peter Clements, Mar 26, 2010
  17. Peter Clements

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-03-26, Peter Clements <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:11:52 +0000, Whiskers
    > <> wrote:
    >>On 2010-03-23, Peter Clements <> wrote:
    >>> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
    >>> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13448.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00
    >>>
    >>> There must be snags I haven't seen.

    >>No monitor included in the price, nor a keyboard. But it has at least one
    >>good review
    >><http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/hardware/2239003/medion-p4340d-desktop-computer>

    > Thanks to everybody who replied. I decided to buy one but when I went
    > to Aldi they had sold out. That is the second time it has happened to
    > me and I am begriming to wonder if the store ever has these in stock.
    > I cannot be arsed to go through all that again and I will buy
    > something different elsewhere.

    You usually have to move fast to catch "special buys".

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 26, 2010
  18. Peter Clements

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:35:17 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

    >>No monitor included in the price, nor a keyboard. But it has at least
    >>one good review
    >><http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/hardware/2239003/medion-

    p4340d-desktop-computer>

    > Thanks to everybody who replied. I decided to buy one but when I went to
    > Aldi they had sold out. That is the second time it has happened to me
    > and I am begriming to wonder if the store ever has these in stock. I
    > cannot be arsed to go through all that again and I will buy something
    > different elsewhere.

    Last time your query came up here, I recall someone mentioning that when
    they sell computers at Aldi, you have to turn up early to be able to buy
    one, as each store only gets a few of them to sell- maybe half a dozen.

    I gave this piece of information to my friend who bought one and she went
    to Aldi when it opened on the Thursday morning the offers started, even
    taking an hour off work to do so.

    Aardvark, Mar 26, 2010
  19. On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:38:04 +0000, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2010-03-26, Peter Clements <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:11:52 +0000, Whiskers
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>No monitor included in the price, nor a keyboard. But it has at least one
    >>>good review
    >>><http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/hardware/2239003/medion-p4340d-desktop-computer>

    >> Thanks to everybody who replied. I decided to buy one but when I went
    >> to Aldi they had sold out. That is the second time it has happened to
    >> me and I am begriming to wonder if the store ever has these in stock.
    >> I cannot be arsed to go through all that again and I will buy
    >> something different elsewhere.

    >You usually have to move fast to catch "special buys".

    I will probably stay as I am until something breaks beyond repair. I'm
    buggered if I am going to struggle and fight to spend money:)

    Peter Clements, Mar 27, 2010