Alcoholic laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nj_dilettante, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. My Gateway laptop had a run-in with a glass of Merlot. I turned it over and
    let it drain for an hour or so, then pried up all the keys and cleaned and
    dried underneath (helpful hint to anyone else who encounters this problem:
    make a map of your keyboard BEFORE you pry up the keys - you only THINK you
    know where they're positioned).

    The machine turned on and loaded right away (XP Pro), but unsurprisingly,
    hung when I tried to use the keyboard.
    I reset, then was able to load, but with a keyboard error.
    I reset, then was able to load, could use the keyboard and access my LAN and
    internet connection, but the machine turned itself off a few seconds later.
    (reset many, MANY times; just giving you a summary of the outcomes)
    I let it sit overnight, upside down, to drain and dry.
    In the AM, the machine would boot to the Gateway pre-bios/settings splash
    page and hang, but wouldn't go any further.

    I had been running on the AC adapter for all these tests. I pulled the
    battery to see if it's connections were wet, and the machine worked
    perfectly! Hangs with the battery, with or without AC, but runs just fine
    with just AC.

    My question is: do I risk forking out the big bucks for a new battery? I
    see no signs of red wine on the battery connections. I got REALLY lucky
    because all I lost was the battery (don't ask about my backup habits - God
    protects fools and drunks, so I'm well insured), but I don't want to throw
    my money away if I've fried something which would make any battery
    worthless.

    Opinions/advice very much appreciated -

    nj_dilettante, Feb 23, 2005

  2. nj_dilettante

    TT Guest

    I think the prying up of the keys may have screwed the keyboard-have
    you though of getting a refurbisehed one off of the net? Try eBay-I
    bought one for a Dell last summer for $20.00

    TT, Feb 23, 2005

  3. nj_dilettante

    Tony Guest

    Although I am boss, I always wanted to open a bar... and am well on my
    way to saving up for a down payment. In just two months I have made 3
    thousand... it comes in a bunch of ones, but per the below, it's
    supposed to tripple tripple tripple, so I don't really care how it
    comes....

    I'm 28, run a company, and make more money doing this than my job and
    so can you - name's Jason_ Turn $5.00 into $50,000...read this to find
    out how!!! READING THIS COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!! I found this on a
    bulletin board like this one and decided to try it. A little while
    back, I was browsing through a newsgroup, just like you are now, and
    came across an article similar to this that said you could make
    thousands of dollars within weeks with only an initial investment of
    $5.00! So I thought, "Yeah right, this must be a scam", but like most
    of us, I was curious, so I kept reading_ I also did an internet search
    and found nothing but success stories. Anyway, it said that you need to
    send $1.00 to each of the 5 names and address stated in the article.
    You then place your own name and address in the bottom of the list at
    ...5, and post the article in at least 200 newsgroups. (There are
    thousands) No catch, that was it. So after thinking it over, and
    talking to a few people first, I thought about trying it. I figured
    "what have I got to lose except 5 stamps and $5.00, right?" Then I
    invested the measly $5.00 (I use the word "measly" because $5 really is
    measly compared to the money I have made through the initial
    investment). Well GUESS WHAT!!... within 7 days, I started getting
    money in the mail! I was shocked! I figured it would end soon, but the
    money just kept coming in. In my first week, I made about $25.00. By
    the end of the second week I had made a total of over $1,000.00! In the
    third week I had over $10,000.00 and it's still growing. This is now my
    fourth week and I have made just over $42,000.00 and it's still coming
    in rapidly. It's certainly worth $5.00, and 5 stamps, I have spent more
    than that on the lottery!! Let me tell you how this works and most
    importantly, why it works.... Also, make sure you print a copy of this
    article NOW, so you can get the information off of it as you need it. I
    promise you that if you follow the directions exactly, that you will
    start making more money than you thought possible by doing something so
    easy! Suggestion: Read this entire message carefully! (print it out or
    download it.) Follow the simple directions and watch the money come in!
    It's easy. It's legal. And, your investment is only $5.00 (Plus
    postage) IMPORTANT: This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent; it is
    not illegal; and it is virtually no risk - it really works!!!! If all
    of the following instructions are adhered to, you will receive
    extraordinary dividends. PLEASE NOTE: Please follow these directions
    EXACTLY, and $50,000 or more can be yours in 20 to 60 days. This
    program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of the
    participants. Please continue it's success by carefully adhering to the
    instructions. You will now become part of the Mail Order business. In
    this business your product is not solid and tangible, it's a service.
    You are in the business of developing Mailing Lists. Many large
    corporations are happy to pay big bucks for quality lists. However, the
    money made from the mailing lists is secondary to the income which is
    made from people like you and me asking to be included in that list.
    Here are the 4 easy steps to success: STEP 1: Get 5 separate pieces of
    paper and write the following on each piece of paper "PLEASE PUT ME ON
    YOUR MAILING LIST." Now get 5 US $1.00 bills and place ONE inside EACH
    of the 6 pieces of paper so the bill will not be seen through the
    envelope (to prevent thievery). Next, place one paper in each of the 5
    envelopes and seal them. You should now have 5 sealed envelopes, each
    with a piece of paper stating the phrase "PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR MAILING
    LIST.", your name and address, and a $1.00 bill. What you are doing is
    creating a service. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! You are requesting a
    legitimate service and you are paying for it! Like most of us I was a
    little skeptical and a little worried about the legal aspects of it
    all. So I checked it out with the U.S. Post Office (1-800-725-2161) and
    they confirmed that it is indeed legal! Mail the 5 envelopes to the
    following addresses: ..

    1) Anthony V. 1013 Flint Ct. Vacaville Ca, 95687
    2) Richonda S CMR 402 BOX 274 APO, AE 09180
    3) L. Lopez 11145 coolhurst dr. Whittier, CA 90606
    4) V. Laines 7603 Soresnen Ave. Whittier, CA 90606
    5) S. Brownlie 22926 Kent. Ave Torrance, CA 90505

    STEP 2: Now take the ..1 name off the list that you see above, move the
    other names up (5 becomes 4, 4 becomes 3, etc...) and add YOUR Name as
    number 1 on the list. STEP 3: Change anything you need to, but try to
    keep this article as close to original as possible. Now, post your
    amended article to at least 200 newsgroups. (I think there are close to
    32,000+) All you need is 200, but remember, the more you post, the more
    money you make! This is perfectly legal! If you have any doubts, refer
    to Title 18 Sec. 1302 & 1341 of the Postal lottery laws. Keep a copy of
    these steps for yourself and, whenever you need money, you can use it
    again, and again. PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful
    because of the honesty and integrity of the participants and by their
    carefully adhering to the directions. Look at it this way. If you are
    of integrity, the program will continue and the money that so many
    others have received will come your way. NOTE: You may want to retain
    every name and address sent to you, either on a computer or hard copy
    and keep the notes people send you. This VERIFIES that you are truly
    providing a service. (Also, it might be a good idea to wrap the $1 bill
    in dark paper to reduce the risk of mail theft.) So, as each post is
    downloaded and the directions carefully followed, five members will be
    reimbursed for their participation as a List Developer with one dollar
    each. Your name will move up the list geometrically so that when your
    name reaches the ..1 position you will be receiving thousands of
    dollars in CASH!!! What an opportunity for only $5.00 ($1.00 for each
    of the first five people listed above) Send it now, add your own name
    to the list and you're in business! ---DIRECTIONS ----- FOR HOW TO POST
    TO NEWSGROUPS------------ Step 1) You do not need to re-type this
    entire letter to do your own posting. Simply put your cursor at the
    beginning of this letter and drag your cursor to the bottom of this
    document, and select 'copy' from the edit menu. This will copy the
    entire letter into the computer's memory. Step 2) Open a blank
    'notepad' file and place your cursor at the top of the blank page. From
    the 'edit' menu select 'paste'. This will paste a copy of the letter
    into notepad so that you can add your name to the list. Step 3) Save
    your new notepad file as a .txt file. If you want to do your postings
    in different settings, you'll always have this file to go back to. Step
    4) Use Netscape or Internet explorer and try searching for various
    newsgroups (on-line forums, message boards, chat sites, discussions,
    etc.) Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this article as a new
    message by highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste
    from the edit menu. Fill in the Subject, this will be the header that
    everyone sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a
    particular group, click the post message button. You're done with your
    first one! Congratulations...THAT'S IT! All you have to do is jump to
    different newsgroups and post away, after you get the hang of it, it
    will take about 30 seconds for each newsgroup! **REMEMBER, THE MORE
    NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE!! BUT YOU HAVE TO
    POST A MINIMUM OF 200** That's it! You will begin receiving money from
    around the world within days! You may eventually want to rent a P.O.Box
    due to the large amount of mail you will receive. If you wish to stay
    anonymous, you can invent a name to use, as long as the postman will
    deliver it. **JUST MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE CORRECT.** Now the
    WHY part: Out of 200 postings, say I receive only 5 replies (a very low
    example). So then I made $5.00 with my name at ..5 on the letter. Now,
    each of the 5 persons who just sent me $1.00 make the MINIMUM 200
    postings, each with my name at ..5 and only 5 persons respond to each
    of the original 5, that is another $25.00 for me, now those 25 each
    make 200 MINIMUM posts with my name at ..4 and only 5 replies each, I
    will bring in an additional $125.00! Now, those 125 persons turn around
    and post the MINIMUM 200 with my name at ..3 and only receive 5 replies
    each, I will make an additional $626.00! OK, now here is the fun part,
    each of those 625 persons post a MINIMUM 200 letters with my name at
    ...2 and they each only receive 5 replies, that just made me
    $3,125.00!!! Those 3,125 persons will all deliver this message to 200
    newsgroups with my name at ..1 and if still ONLY 5 persons per 200
    newsgroups react I will receive $15,625,00! With an original investment
    of only $5.00! AMAZING! When your name is no longer on the list, you
    just take the latest posting in the newsgroups, and send out another
    $5.00 to names on the list, putting your name at number 5 again. And
    start posting again. The thing to remember is do you realize that
    thousands of people all over the world are joining the internet and
    reading these articles everyday?, JUST LIKE YOU are now!! So, can you
    afford $5.00 and see if it really works?? I think so... People have
    said, "what if the plan is played out and no one sends you the money?
    So what! What are the chances of that happening when there are tons of
    new honest users and new honest people who are joining the internet and
    newsgroups everyday and are willing to give it a try? Estimates are at
    20,000 to 50,000 new users, every day, with thousands of those joining
    the actual internet. Remember, play FAIRLY and HONESTLY and this will
    really work!!! OTHER TESTIMONIALS: I'm impressed - enough said! - Sandy
    Potts, San Francisco I was skeptical at first, but I did the research
    on-line, found no rip-off reports or bad news about doing this. Then I
    checked the legality of it and it checked out. If you are skeptical
    then do your research, because this really works. If you are looking
    for some money to pay bills, loans, or save up for a house, then do
    this_ you will end up with money to do all of the above! - Ross
    Foreman, Arlington What an amazing plan! I followed your instructions
    just 3 weeks ago, and although I haven't made 10 grand yet, I'm already
    up to $11,000. I'm absolutely gob smacked.

    Tony, Feb 23, 2005
  4. nj_dilettante

[...]

    up to $11,000. I'm absolutely gob smacked. - Alan Humphries , Syracuse

    Tony, Feb 23, 2005

    Tasty raw giblets, Feb 23, 2005
  7. nj_dilettante

    Heretic Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:00:45 -0600, Tasty raw giblets wrote:

    > Heretic piddled around and finally wrote:
    >
    >> I get an erection at the zoo when I see the female striped-ass baboons.

    FFAU

    Heretic, Feb 23, 2005
  8. nj_dilettante

    dadiOH Guest

    nj_dilettante wrote:

    > Opinions/advice very much appreciated -

    Be thankful it wasn't Mogen David or mavrodaphne. Heaven knows what all
    that sugar would have done...

    --
    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...