Alcatel speedtouch, mtu and TelstraClear

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughlin, Jul 5, 2007.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Having trouble with some websites or sometimes just images on websites not
    tried pinging with different packet sizes and found anything over 1464 was
    being dropped.

    I telneted into the Speedtouch 510 and changed the MTU to 1400. Now more
    sites are loading but some still fail.

    Am I understanding this MTU stuff properly? Never heard of it before today.

    Would lowering the speedtouch settings further help?

    Net was working fine before, but TelstraClear made some changes to our line
    and said to get the most speed out of it we need to use PPPOE? Which we are
    now doing, before the net worked fine.

    I'm not even supposed to be fixing this, but the person who is has
    disappeared and I am getting annoyed at the net not working properly.

    Any ideas or suggestions?
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 5, 2007

  2. Nik Coughlin

    jack Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:06:39 +1200, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >Having trouble with some websites or sometimes just images on websites not
    >tried pinging with different packet sizes and found anything over 1464 was
    >being dropped.
    >
    >I telneted into the Speedtouch 510 and changed the MTU to 1400. Now more
    >sites are loading but some still fail.
    >
    >Am I understanding this MTU stuff properly? Never heard of it before today.
    >
    >Would lowering the speedtouch settings further help?
    >
    >Net was working fine before, but TelstraClear made some changes to our line
    >and said to get the most speed out of it we need to use PPPOE? Which we are
    >now doing, before the net worked fine.
    >
    >I'm not even supposed to be fixing this, but the person who is has
    >disappeared and I am getting annoyed at the net not working properly.
    >
    >Any ideas or suggestions?

    Yes test for RWIN as this can cause high packet loss.

    This site does it all and has a Tweak tool.

    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

    It uses Java..
    jack, Jul 5, 2007

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    jack wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:06:39 +1200, "Nik Coughlin"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Having trouble with some websites or sometimes just images on
    >> websites not loading. Someone suggested it may be the MTU (max
    >> transfer unit), so I tried pinging with different packet sizes and
    >> found anything over 1464 was being dropped.
    >>

    > Yes test for RWIN as this can cause high packet loss.
    >
    > This site does it all and has a Tweak tool.
    >

    > http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    >

    > It uses Java..

    Can't access it due to the above mentioned issues :(
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 5, 2007
  4. Nik Coughlin

    none Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > jack wrote:
    >> It uses Java..

    > Can't access it due to the above mentioned issues :(

    Call Telstra and ask them what the recommended MTU size is for their
    PPPoE DSL connections.

    Further to that, you may need to consider replacing your router, as
    there should be MTU path discovery occurring and a negotiation of the
    MTU between your workstation and the router.

    Have you restarted the PC(s) since the problem occurred?
    none, Jul 5, 2007
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:03:01 +1200, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >jack wrote:
    >> On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:06:39 +1200, "Nik Coughlin"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Having trouble with some websites or sometimes just images on
    >>> websites not loading. Someone suggested it may be the MTU (max
    >>> transfer unit), so I tried pinging with different packet sizes and
    >>> found anything over 1464 was being dropped.
    >>>

    >> Yes test for RWIN as this can cause high packet loss.
    >>
    >> This site does it all and has a Tweak tool.
    >>

    >> http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    >>

    >> It uses Java..

    >Can't access it due to the above mentioned issues :(

    So Install Java its so simple to do.
    Greg House, Jul 5, 2007
  6. Nik Coughlin

    none Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > So Install Java its so simple to do.

    Wrong diagnosis there Dr House
    none, Jul 6, 2007
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    none wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> jack wrote:
    >>> It uses Java..

    >> Can't access it due to the above mentioned issues :(

    > Call Telstra and ask them what the recommended MTU size is for their
    > PPPoE DSL connections.
    >
    > Further to that, you may need to consider replacing your router, as
    > there should be MTU path discovery occurring and a negotiation of the
    > MTU between your workstation and the router.
    >
    > Have you restarted the PC(s) since the problem occurred?

    Recommended MTU is 1500. We replaced the router and now everything works
    fine.

    TelstraClear claimed that the connection would be *much* faster after the
    changes they made to our connection.

    Before:
    Fastest Download: 4111 kb/s
    Fastest Upload: 423 kb/s
    Average Download: 3748 kb/s
    Average Upload: 413 kb/s

    After:
    Fastest Download: 4639 kb/s
    Fastest Upload: 619 kb/s
    Average Download: 3397 kb/s
    Average Upload: 598 kb/s

    So our fastest upload is much better, but average is actually down. Upload
    is much better.
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 6, 2007
  8. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > none wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Can't access it due to the above mentioned issues :(

    >> Call Telstra and ask them what the recommended MTU size is for their
    >> PPPoE DSL connections.
    >>
    >> Further to that, you may need to consider replacing your router, as
    >> there should be MTU path discovery occurring and a negotiation of the
    >> MTU between your workstation and the router.
    >>
    >> Have you restarted the PC(s) since the problem occurred?

    > Recommended MTU is 1500. We replaced the router and now everything
    > works fine.
    >
    > TelstraClear claimed that the connection would be *much* faster after
    > the changes they made to our connection.
    >
    > Before:
    > Fastest Download: 4111 kb/s
    > Fastest Upload: 423 kb/s
    > Average Download: 3748 kb/s
    > Average Upload: 413 kb/s
    >
    > After:
    > Fastest Download: 4639 kb/s
    > Fastest Upload: 619 kb/s
    > Average Download: 3397 kb/s
    > Average Upload: 598 kb/s
    >
    > So our fastest upload is much better, but average is actually down. Upload
    > is much better.

    Helps if everything is configured properly :p

    Fastest Download: 5028 kb/s
    Fastest Upload: 619 kb/s
    Average Download: 4117 kb/s
    Average Upload: 592 kb/s
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 6, 2007
  9. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > none wrote:
    > > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Can't access it due to the above mentioned issues :(

    > > Call Telstra and ask them what the recommended MTU size is for their
    > > PPPoE DSL connections.
    > >
    > > Further to that, you may need to consider replacing your router, as
    > > there should be MTU path discovery occurring and a negotiation of
    > > the MTU between your workstation and the router.
    > >
    > > Have you restarted the PC(s) since the problem occurred?

    > Recommended MTU is 1500. We replaced the router and now everything
    > works fine.

    <snip>

    So, what was wrong? Why replace the router? I have a Speedtouch 510 and it's
    a great little router. Did yours fail?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2007
  10. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> none wrote:

    >>> Call Telstra and ask them what the recommended MTU size is for their
    >>> PPPoE DSL connections.
    >>>
    >>> Further to that, you may need to consider replacing your router, as
    >>> there should be MTU path discovery occurring and a negotiation of
    >>> the MTU between your workstation and the router.
    >>>
    >>> Have you restarted the PC(s) since the problem occurred?

    >> Recommended MTU is 1500. We replaced the router and now everything
    >> works fine.

    > <snip>
    >
    > So, what was wrong? Why replace the router? I have a Speedtouch 510
    > and it's a great little router. Did yours fail?
    >
    > Cheers,

    Still no idea what was wrong. We spent too much time on it and it wasn't
    worth spending any more for the price of a new one
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 8, 2007
  11. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > So, what was wrong? Why replace the router? I have a Speedtouch 510
    > > and it's a great little router. Did yours fail?

    > Still no idea what was wrong. We spent too much time on it and it
    > wasn't worth spending any more for the price of a new one

    Ahh, ok. I don't suppose it'd be any good to me as 'parts'? They're pretty
    much modular aren't they? T'would be panic stations here if my router were
    to fail, the budget is stretched to the limit and will be for a while yet.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2007
  12. Nik Coughlin

    Guest

    On Jul 9, 1:02 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > > So, what was wrong? Why replace the router? I have a Speedtouch 510
    > > > and it's a great little router. Did yours fail?

    > > Still no idea what was wrong. We spent too much time on it and it
    > > wasn't worth spending any more for the price of a new one

    > Ahh, ok. I don't suppose it'd be any good to me as 'parts'? They're pretty
    > much modular aren't they? T'would be panic stations here if my router were
    > to fail, the budget is stretched to the limit and will be for a while yet.

    Send me an email, this address is valid
    , Jul 9, 2007
  13. Nik Coughlin

    Greg House Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:09:18 -0700, wrote:

    >On Jul 9, 1:02 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >> > Still no idea what was wrong. We spent too much time on it and it
    >> > wasn't worth spending any more for the price of a new one

    >> Ahh, ok. I don't suppose it'd be any good to me as 'parts'? They're pretty
    >> much modular aren't they? T'would be panic stations here if my router were
    >> to fail, the budget is stretched to the limit and will be for a while yet.

    >Send me an email, this address is valid

    Never post with a Valid e-mail address..
    Greg House, Jul 9, 2007
  14. Nik Coughlin

    Guest

    On Jul 9, 4:20 pm, Greg House
    < wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:09:18 -0700, wrote:

    > >> Ahh, ok. I don't suppose it'd be any good to me as 'parts'? They're pretty
    > >> much modular aren't they? T'would be panic stations here if my router were
    > >> to fail, the budget is stretched to the limit and will be for a while yet.

    > >Send me an email, this address is valid

    > Never post with a Valid e-mail address..

    Why not? Gmail spam filters are awesome. I get a couple of pieces of
    spam a month maximum to my inbox.
    , Jul 9, 2007
  15. Nik Coughlin

    Shane Guest

    Greg House < wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:09:18 -0700, wrote:

    >>> Ahh, ok. I don't suppose it'd be any good to me as 'parts'? They're
    >>> pretty much modular aren't they? T'would be panic stations here if my
    >>> router were to fail, the budget is stretched to the limit and will be
    >>> for a while yet.

    >>Send me an email, this address is valid

    > Never post with a Valid e-mail address..

    I do, have done so for a couple of years now.

    --
    Q: What is hallucinogenic and exists for every group with order divisible by
    p^k?
    Shane, Jul 9, 2007
  16. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jul 9, 4:20 pm, Greg House
    > < wrote:

    > > > Send me an email, this address is valid

    > > Never post with a Valid e-mail address..

    > Why not? Gmail spam filters are awesome. I get a couple of pieces of
    > spam a month maximum to my inbox.

    I agree. I actually haven't seen one spam in my gmail inbox and I've posted
    it in newsgroups before.

    Email sent. :)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2007
  17. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Jul 9, 4:20 pm, Greg House
    >> < wrote:

    >>> Never post with a Valid e-mail address..

    >> Why not? Gmail spam filters are awesome. I get a couple of pieces
    >> of spam a month maximum to my inbox.

    > I agree. I actually haven't seen one spam in my gmail inbox and I've
    > posted it in newsgroups before.

    I get hundreds of spam a day in my gmail spam folder, but I have several
    different email addresses that all redirect to my gmail, and most of them
    are on websites, Usenet, etc. I skim them before deleting and have only
    ever had a couple of false positives. Very impressed indeed.
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 10, 2007
  18. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > > > Why not? Gmail spam filters are awesome. I get a couple of
    > > > pieces of spam a month maximum to my inbox.

    > > I agree. I actually haven't seen one spam in my gmail inbox and I've
    > > posted it in newsgroups before.

    > I get hundreds of spam a day in my gmail spam folder, but I have
    > several different email addresses that all redirect to my gmail, and
    > most of them are on websites, Usenet, etc. I skim them before
    > deleting and have only ever had a couple of false positives. Very
    > impressed indeed.

    Yes. Actually, I've never looked in my Gmail spam folder, must do it I
    guess. :)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2007