    Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
    by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?
    Thanks. J

    John Smith, Mar 3, 2009

  2. John Smith

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:21:04 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
    >by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?

    Uhhh... What?

    I don't get it.. You send me an 'alarm clock' via e-mail. When I open
    it, an alarm clock goes off on YOUR end?

    Evan Platt, Mar 3, 2009

  3. John Smith

    walter Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:21:04 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and
    >> opened by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he
    >> opens it?

    > Uhhh... What?
    >
    > I don't get it.. You send me an 'alarm clock' via e-mail. When I open
    > it, an alarm clock goes off on YOUR end?

    Or maybe the OP has a contact who frequently sleep-reads email and wants to
    make sure they're awake when they reply?

    walter, Mar 3, 2009
  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:21:04 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
    >>by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?

    > Uhhh... What?
    >
    > I don't get it.. You send me an 'alarm clock' via e-mail. When I open
    > it, an alarm clock goes off on YOUR end?

    ============
    No, at your end.

    John Smith, Mar 3, 2009
  5. John Smith

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:47:08 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >No, at your end.

    Ok.. So you want to send me an e-mail and when I receive it an alarm
    clock goes off on MY end?

    Well.. That would rely on quite a few factors. The easiest way I can
    think of is to send a HTML riddled garbage mail with a sound file as
    an attachment, and the proper HTML code to automatically play that
    sound file. This then relies on a person having such an insecurely
    configured e-mail client that it automatically executes the HTML code
    necessary to automatically play the 'alarm clock' sound.

    Of course, if this person has such a badly configured mail client,
    they likely have a virus, Trojan, or God knows what. If they don't yet
    have a virus or Trojan, they will VERY soon.

    Evan Platt, Mar 3, 2009
  6. John Smith

    VanguardLH Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    > Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
    > by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?
    > Thanks. J

    If you were both using a shared Exchange mail server then you could send
    them an Appointment.

    Otherwise, forget it. You don't get to run scripts at the recipient's
    end. You don't get to control their property. You would need to
    convince the recipient to disable their e-mail security by configuring
    their e-mail client to run scripts in HTML-formatted e-mails. Most
    e-mail clients default to NOT running scripts in HTML-formatted e-mails,
    so your scheme won't work.

    What would be the point of an alarm clock "going off" when the recipient
    opens your e-mail? They JUST opened it and that's when they'll get
    "alarmed". Or are you asking to somehow install software on their host
    that will run a background scheduler process to run your arbitrary
    events? Yeah, like that's likely ... NOT!

    Or is it that you just want an alarm SOUND to be heard by the recipient
    when they open your e-mail to them? Different e-mail clients have
    different methods/menus/instructions on how to add background sounds but
    that also means you must compose an HTML-formatted e-mail. See:

    http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/sounds/sounds_famsupp_18.html

    on the HTML tag that is inserted in your HTML-formatted e-mail to play
    background sounds. Don't expect recipients to hear your sound, however.
    How are you going to guarantee that their e-mail client will play
    background sounds? How are you going to guarantee they don't have their
    speakers muted at the time they open your e-mail? How are you going to
    guarantee they even have audio devices (speakers or headphones) to hear
    your background "alarm" sound attached to your e-mail?

    How is an alarm background sound attached to an e-mail any more
    effective than putting "ALARM - ALARM - ALARM" in the first line of the
    body of your message? After all, you want them alarmed as soon as they
    open your e-mail. I bet they'll get real alarmed if your e-mail starts
    out with:

    YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN FROZEN by court order due to criminal
    investigation by FBI and your State Attorneys Office. DO NOT RESPOND TO
    THIS E-MAIL. CALL YOUR STATE ATTORNEYS OFFICE REGARDING YOUR CASE.
    Postal notification has been sent to you via certified carrier and will
    be delivered within 2 business days to your currently registered
    residential address. Not responding to the documents sent via certified
    carrier within a period of 10 business days will be cause for levying
    FEDERAL PENALTIES OF NOT LESS THAN $25,000 AND ISSUANCE OF WARRANTS FOR
    YOUR ARREST.

    Bet that'll raise their eyebrows. Of course, be prepared for
    recipients that sue for 3rd degree assault due to mental trauma.

    VanguardLH, Mar 3, 2009
  7. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:47:08 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>No, at your end.

    > Ok.. So you want to send me an e-mail and when I receive it an alarm
    > clock goes off on MY end?

    You have the idea.

    > Well.. That would rely on quite a few factors. The easiest way I can
    > think of is to send a HTML riddled garbage mail with a sound file as
    > an attachment, and the proper HTML code to automatically play that
    > sound file. This then relies on a person having such an insecurely
    > configured e-mail client that it automatically executes the HTML code
    > necessary to automatically play the 'alarm clock' sound.
    >
    > Of course, if this person has such a badly configured mail client,
    > they likely have a virus, Trojan, or God knows what. If they don't yet
    > have a virus or Trojan, they will VERY soon.

    ==============
    OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
    clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

    John Smith, Mar 3, 2009
  8. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > open your e-mail. I bet they'll get real alarmed if your e-mail starts
    > out with:
    >
    > YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN FROZEN by court order due to criminal
    > investigation by FBI and your State Attorneys Office. DO NOT RESPOND TO
    > THIS E-MAIL. CALL YOUR STATE ATTORNEYS OFFICE REGARDING YOUR CASE.
    > Postal notification has been sent to you via certified carrier and will
    > be delivered within 2 business days to your currently registered
    > residential address. Not responding to the documents sent via certified
    > carrier within a period of 10 business days will be cause for levying
    > FEDERAL PENALTIES OF NOT LESS THAN $25,000 AND ISSUANCE OF WARRANTS FOR
    > YOUR ARREST.
    >
    > Bet that'll raise their eyebrows. Of course, be prepared for
    > recipients that sue for 3rd degree assault due to mental trauma.

    Love it :)

    John Smith, Mar 3, 2009
  9. John Smith

    alan Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    >> investigation by FBI and your State Attorneys Office. DO NOT RESPOND TO
    >> THIS E-MAIL. CALL YOUR STATE ATTORNEYS OFFICE REGARDING YOUR CASE.
    >> Postal notification has been sent to you via certified carrier and will
    >> be delivered within 2 business days to your currently registered
    >> residential address. Not responding to the documents sent via certified
    >> carrier within a period of 10 business days will be cause for levying
    >> FEDERAL PENALTIES OF NOT LESS THAN $25,000 AND ISSUANCE OF WARRANTS FOR
    >> YOUR ARREST.
    >>
    >> Bet that'll raise their eyebrows. Of course, be prepared for
    >> recipients that sue for 3rd degree assault due to mental trauma.

    > ==============
    > Love it :)
    >
    > OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
    > clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

    Why not just make a short video of an alarm clock with an audio track? It
    wouldn't be a "program", but when you opened it, you'd see an alarm clock
    and you'd hear it . . .
    BTW, why do you want such a thing? What's your purpose?

    alan, Mar 3, 2009
  10. John Smith

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:00:36 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
    >clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

    Ok, so again, you're talking about a PROGRAM that would be e-mailed to
    the person. The person would need to OPEN the program?

    What are you trying to do, simply annoy someone with a sound when they
    open an e-mail?

    Evan Platt, Mar 3, 2009
  11. John Smith wrote:

    > OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an
    > alarm clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

    No self-respecting email client would *execute* such a program, without
    definite action by the recipient. Mine certainly won't.

    All your scheme would do would be to waste my bandwidth and annoy me
    quite a lot. Forget it as you would soon be blackholed.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 3, 2009
  12. John Smith

    G. Morgan Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    >Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
    >by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?
    >Thanks. J

    Will this work?
    http://sleep.fm/

    G. Morgan, Mar 3, 2009
  13. John Smith

    VanguardLH Guest

    alan wrote:

    > Why not just make a short video of an alarm clock with an audio track? It
    > wouldn't be a "program", but when you opened it, you'd see an alarm clock
    > and you'd hear it . . .
    > BTW, why do you want such a thing? What's your purpose?

    He's sending it to residents at the old folks home with a short, sharp,
    and super-loud volume to cause heart arrests in trying to clear out some
    space for his own parents. Searching the obituaries hasn't been
    fruitful.

    Odd he didn't pickup the part of my post where I said he could add a
    background sound for an alarm. He could then just paste the image of an
    alarm clock in his HTML-formatted e-mail. The recipient opens his
    e-mail, sees the alarm clock image (if they view HTML-formatted e-mail
    as such), and hears the alarm clock sound (if their speakers aren't
    muted).

    Add a background sound. Add an image. Done. There are LOTS of alarm
    clock images at Google:

    http://images.google.com/images?q=+"alarm clock"

    Google can find lots of alarm clock sound files, too:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=+"alarm clock" +wav file

    VanguardLH, Mar 3, 2009
  14. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:00:36 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
    >>clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

    > Ok, so again, you're talking about a PROGRAM that would be e-mailed to
    > the person. The person would need to OPEN the program?
    >
    > What are you trying to do, simply annoy someone with a sound when they
    > open an e-mail?

    ===========
    Don't worry about the why.
    The person who would receive it is a friend who has asked for this.
    No problem if no-one knows how to.

    John Smith, Mar 3, 2009
  15. John Smith

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:51:16 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >Don't worry about the why.
    >The person who would receive it is a friend who has asked for this.
    >No problem if no-one knows how to.

    I think plenty of people have explained that it will take interaction
    from the person receiving it for this to work.

    Having said that, find a suitable sound file online. E-mail person a
    link, person clicks on link hears sound.

    Another option is depending on the e-mail client the person uses,
    create a filter for when a message is received to play a sound file -
    obviously have some criteria, ie "Subject = ABCDEFG"...

    Evan Platt, Mar 3, 2009
  16. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "alan" <> wrote in message

> [...]
    >>> residential address. Not responding to the documents sent via certified
    >>> carrier within a period of 10 business days will be cause for levying
    >>> FEDERAL PENALTIES OF NOT LESS THAN $25,000 AND ISSUANCE OF WARRANTS FOR
    >>> YOUR ARREST.
    >>>
    >>> Bet that'll raise their eyebrows. Of course, be prepared for
    >>> recipients that sue for 3rd degree assault due to mental trauma.

    >> ==============
    >> Love it :)
    >>
    >> OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an
    >> alarm
    >> clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

    > Why not just make a short video of an alarm clock with an audio track? It
    > wouldn't be a "program", but when you opened it, you'd see an alarm clock
    > and you'd hear it . . .
    > BTW, why do you want such a thing? What's your purpose?

    Wish for the recipient to open a program that shows a clock at the correct
    time...and the alarm go off at that time.

    John Smith, Mar 3, 2009
  17. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > John Smith wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
    >>by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?
    >>Thanks. J
    >>

    > Will this work?
    > http://sleep.fm/

    ============
    Thanks for that..shows correct time etc but has to be programmed for the
    time the alarm goes off - I was after something that would show the correct
    time AND the alarm be triggered at the time of opening..or shortly after.

    John Smith, Mar 3, 2009
  18. John Smith

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:20:42 -0000, "John Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >Wish for the recipient to open a program that shows a clock at the correct
    >time...and the alarm go off at that time.

    Ok, so now you're looking for a program that can be e-mailed, will run
    automatically by having the recipient simply open the e-mail, and then
    wait until a certain time, and then act as an alarm clock?

    No such beast. Any reasonable combination of:
    Decent firewall
    Decent e-mail client
    Decent Operating system

    will prevent that.

    Evan Platt, Mar 3, 2009
  19. John Smith

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-03, John Smith <> wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> John Smith wrote:

    [...]

    > OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
    > clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

    Most modern computers have a 'clock' that shows current local time on the
    screen. There are many 'calendar' and 'diary' and 'reminder' programs
    that can be set by the user to make a sound at a given time in the future.
    For example, "Orage" (which is an optional extra for the XFce4 GUI for
    Unix/Linux systems). I wouldn't be at all surprised if Microsoft have
    managed to include such a thing in their systems too - isn't there a
    clickable 'time' display on the screen by default?

    But I can't see the point of sounding an alarm when the user opens a
    program whose function is to sound an alarm when the user opens it ...

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 3, 2009
  20. John Smith

    alan Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "alan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    >>> ==============
    >>> Love it :)
    >>>
    >>> OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an
    >>> alarm
    >>> clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

    >> Why not just make a short video of an alarm clock with an audio track?
    >> It wouldn't be a "program", but when you opened it, you'd see an alarm
    >> clock and you'd hear it . . .
    >> BTW, why do you want such a thing? What's your purpose?

    > Wish for the recipient to open a program that shows a clock at the correct
    > time...and the alarm go off at that time.

    Thanks for being so forthcoming about WHY you want such a thing . . . your
    replies to another poster of "Don't worry about the why" and "a friend has
    asked for this" are arrogantly dismissive. If you'd deigned to explain the
    purpose, you might well have received a workable solution. Since you don't
    want folks to worry about the "why", I wouldn't expect many helpful

    alan, Mar 3, 2009