    So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Dec 4, 2006

  2. "thingy" <> wrote in message
    news:4573d49a$...
    > Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
    > these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
    >
    > Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
    > servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
    > getting results?
    >
    > Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
    > things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
    > monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
    > get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
    >
    > So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Check AppManager from Adventnet
    (http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/applications_manager/index.html)

    Some comments from my experience:

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/1781
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/1213

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Dec 4, 2006

  3. thingy

    Martin Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
    > these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
    >
    > Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
    > servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
    > getting results?
    >
    > Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
    > things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
    > monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
    > get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
    >
    > So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Worked for a company that had a couple of old sh*tter PC's with Nagios on
    them - was meant to be only until Patrol, MOM etc. got upto speed - 3 yrs
    later still using Nagios (-;

    If you want to try it without too much hassle download a Vmware Virtual
    Appliance - http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/

    Try and get one that has the OpenGroundwork Web Fron end - very nicely
    done...
    Martin, Dec 4, 2006
  4. T'was the Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:57:00 +1300 when I remembered thingy
    <> saying something like this:

    >Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
    >these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....

    What didn't you like about HP Openview?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Dec 4, 2006
  5. thingy wrote:
    > Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
    > these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
    >
    > Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
    > servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
    > getting results?
    >
    > Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
    > things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
    > monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
    > get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
    >
    > So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Nagios is used here... monitors all the critical servers and also the
    3000+ blades (that took alot of tweaking though)
    Andrew Lambert, Dec 4, 2006
  6. thingy

    Dave Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions
    >> are these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
    >>
    >> Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
    >> servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going
    >> and getting results?
    >>
    >> Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to
    >> improve things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking
    >> will these monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or
    >> after 2 ~ 3 years get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
    >>
    >> So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Nagios is used here... monitors all the critical servers and also the
    > 3000+ blades (that took alot of tweaking though)

    Roughly where in NZ are you?

    Dave - currently looking for a job involving *lots* of toys.
    Dave, Dec 4, 2006

  7. >>> Thing

    >> Nagios is used here... monitors all the critical servers and also the
    >> 3000+ blades (that took alot of tweaking though)

    > Roughly where in NZ are you?
    >
    > Dave - currently looking for a job involving *lots* of toys.

    welllington
    Andrew Lambert, Dec 4, 2006
  8. thingy

    Dave Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >>> Nagios is used here... monitors all the critical servers and also
    >>> the 3000+ blades (that took alot of tweaking though)

    >> Roughly where in NZ are you?
    >>
    >> Dave - currently looking for a job involving *lots* of toys.

    > welllington

    Thanks, I'm on my way :)
    Dave, Dec 5, 2006
  9. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Martin wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
    >> these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
    >>
    >> Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
    >> servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
    >> getting results?
    >>
    >> Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
    >> things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
    >> monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
    >> get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
    >>
    >> So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Worked for a company that had a couple of old sh*tter PC's with Nagios on
    > them - was meant to be only until Patrol, MOM etc. got upto speed - 3 yrs
    > later still using Nagios (-;
    >
    > If you want to try it without too much hassle download a Vmware Virtual
    > Appliance - http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/
    >
    > Try and get one that has the OpenGroundwork Web Fron end - very nicely
    > done...

    Groundworks is currently my favorite possibility....given no one really
    knows the cost implications yet of a full blown commercial system.........

    we already run a full Vmware setup...

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Dec 5, 2006
  10. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions
    >> are these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
    >>
    >> Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
    >> servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
    >> getting results?
    >>
    >> Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
    >> things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
    >> monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3
    >> years get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
    >>
    >> So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Check AppManager from Adventnet
    > (http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/applications_manager/index.html)
    >

    > Some comments from my experience:
    >
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/1781
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/1213

    Thanks, added to possible list.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Dec 5, 2006
  11. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:57:00 +1300 when I remembered thingy
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
    >> these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....

    > What didn't you like about HP Openview?

    Cost, and it is pretty old and inflexible.

    We have HPOV here for the networks but when we started to look at
    expanding it the cost got out of control just for the licences let alone
    all the customisation and setup needed. It is great for network devices
    though but is sadly lacking for servers, applications and business
    processes....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Dec 5, 2006
  12. thingy

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    thingy <> wrote:

    >Cost, and it is pretty old and inflexible.

    If you're running IBM servers, look at IBM Director. Last time I checked, it
    came free with every IBM server, and with unlimited client (agent) licenses.
    It also supports non-IBM hardware and manages existing client agents such
    as HP Openview. Agents are available for most common OSes.

    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/management/director/

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Dec 5, 2006
  13. thingy

    SNOman Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
    > these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
    >
    > Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
    > servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
    > getting results?
    >
    > Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
    > things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
    > monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
    > get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
    >
    > So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Use http://www.serverscheck.com quite successfully here. Have it doing
    txt and email alerts as well as text to speech phone calls.
    SNOman, Dec 7, 2006