    hours it is only slightly more effective than the original pad. Does anyone
    have any idea if this will improve with use?

    Cheers
    Brian, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Brian, <>, the hulking, oppressive sparrow, and employee who
    follows soldiers to encampments and sets up tents to sell sex, carped:

    > I've heard that some silver based thermal grease improves in
    > performance after several thermal cycles (switching on and off!).
    > I've just bought some 'Akasa 450 High Performance Silver Thermal
    > Compound' and in the first few hours it is only slightly more
    > effective than the original pad. Does anyone have any idea if this
    > will improve with use?
    >
    > Cheers

    Only slightly would be indiscernible, the usual gain is only a few degrees.
    It's possible that you may not have cleaned the processor and/or heatsink
    sufficiently before you applied the paste.

    You did of course take full measurements of before and after, including
    ambient.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    Yes, cpu and heatsink very thoroughly cleaned and gunk spead thinly and
    evenly. Improvement over pad only around 1 or 2C (chip now eventually
    reaches 58 or 59 rather than 60C) with similar ambient temp.

    The Arctic Silver site says:

    "Due to the unique shape and sizes of the silver particles in Arctic Silver
    3, it will take a up to 200 hours to achieve maximum particle to particle
    thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum
    conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the
    heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) The CPU's temperature
    will drop as much as 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period."

    Just wondered if Akasa would be the same....

    Brian, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Brian, <>, the priapic, two-footed fishwife, and sheep and
    cattle driver, fretted:

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Yes, cpu and heatsink very thoroughly cleaned and gunk spead thinly
    > and evenly. Improvement over pad only around 1 or 2C (chip now
    > eventually reaches 58 or 59 rather than 60C) with similar ambient
    > temp.
    >
    > The Arctic Silver site says:
    >
    > "Due to the unique shape and sizes of the silver particles in Arctic
    > Silver 3, it will take a up to 200 hours to achieve maximum particle
    > to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface
    > to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a
    > system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the
    > heatsink.) The CPU's temperature will drop as much as 2C to 5C over
    > this "break-in" period."
    >
    > Just wondered if Akasa would be the same....

    I fitted two system with arctic silver and another one more recently with
    arctic silver two. Yes, they make such a claim but I didn't record such an
    effect. That said, the ambient temp was pretty much all over the place and I
    wasn't paying very close attention.

    Whatever the case may be, at least you have a lower temp now than you
    started out with. There are numerous other factors which may effect the temp
    of your system and thus the temp of your cpu. If you're really concerned
    about it being too warm then perhaps you need to look elsewhere.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Yes, I might have to start looking at one of those overclocking type fans.

    Cheers

    "Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <> wrote in message
    ..discharges...

    Brian, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Brian, <>, the clumsy, dishonest female internal reproductive
    organ, and rag and bone man, pressed:

    > Yes, I might have to start looking at one of those overclocking type
    > fans.

    Depending on what you have you might get a good improvement by simply
    lapping the bottom of the heatsink with some gringing paste on a sheet of
    glass.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Jul 12, 2005