    208.187.212.25, and 208.187.212.153. These addresses all belong to
    Akamai Technologies.

    What kind of a scam is this?

    Jane Doe, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Jane Doe

    Trog Dog Guest

    "Jane Doe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After wiping my hard disk, reformating, and reinstalling windows, I
    > went to windowsupdate.microsoft.com to download security patches.
    >
    > Although this worked without a hitch in the past, windows update just
    > scanned my system and failed to produce a catalog of required updates.
    > The progress indicator never went beyond 0%.
    >
    > When I tried a second time, I was redirected to
    > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/thanks.
    >
    > After rebooting my computer, my hardware firewall blocked 3 encrypted
    > HTTPS connection attempts from my computer to 208.187.212.24,
    > 208.187.212.25, and 208.187.212.153. These addresses all belong to
    > Akamai Technologies.
    >
    > What kind of a scam is this?

    I have the Critical Updates Notifier installed on my PC, and received a
    notification that there was a new critical update - DirectX 9. I chose to
    install it. I was surprised after downloading the setup file (DXWSETUP.EXE)
    when my firewall asked to approve a connection by this program to
    www.fbi.gov .

    I know both sites (download.microsoft.com and www.fbi.gov) run on Akamai
    servers - is this just a DNS error or is the FBI hosting files for
    Microsoft?

    BTW, all this occurred before Blaster.

    Trog Dog, Aug 22, 2003

  3. That is indeed very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised that the FBI
    approached Microsoft to direct all of their traffic their way so that they
    can monitor terrorist activities...MSN messenger, hotmails are quite
    popular... so watch what you say boys and girls... I doubt the terrorists
    would be stupid enough to send things unencrypted and coded anyways...

    R Green
    Technical Support
    WoWsat.com

    R Green - WoWsat.com, Aug 22, 2003