Akamai Technologies stealing your bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Randy, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Write 'em.
    Fax 'em.
    Call 'em.
    Hell, pay 'em a visit!
    (Or just buy their domain out in 2007...
    and until then, blitz Tucows with complaints
    for registering their domain as well as any lame
    SW vendors surreptitiously using such a "service"
    to do their dirtywork.)

    C'mon!
    At least ASK before spoiling our "online experience"!

    {Public, freely-available info via GeekTools.com ;
    feel free to disperse it to other interested Usenet groups}

    Checking server [whois.opensrs.net]
    Results:
    Registrant:
    Akamai Technologies, Inc.
    8 Cambridge Center
    Cambridge, MA 02142
    US

    Domain name: AKAMAITECHNOLOGIES.COM

    Administrative Contact:
    Hostmaster, Akamai
    8 Cambridge Center
    Cambridge, MA 02142
    US
    +1.6174443000 Fax: +1.6174443001

    Technical Contact:
    Hostmaster, Akamai
    8 Cambridge Center
    Cambridge, MA 02142
    US
    +1.6174443000 Fax: +1.6174443001

    Registration Service Provider:
    Akamai Technologies,
    617-444-3000
    This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
    DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

    Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
    Record last updated on 16-Jul-2003.
    Record expires on 17-Aug-2007.
    Record created on 18-Aug-1998.

    Domain servers in listed order:
    ACCESS.AKAMAI.COM 80.67.70.18
    YF.AKAMAI.COM 64.215.164.190
    YG.AKAMAI.COM 63.215.198.86
    YD.AKAMAI.COM 63.215.198.103
    YE.AKAMAI.COM 166.90.137.21
    YB.AKAMAI.COM 207.229.152.20
    YC.AKAMAI.COM 209.246.46.48
    YH.AKAMAI.COM 63.241.29.188

    Domain status: REGISTRAR-LOCK

    Randy, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Randy

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 13 Jun 2005 19:30:48 -0700, "Randy" <> wrote:

    >Write 'em.
    >Fax 'em.
    >Call 'em.
    >Hell, pay 'em a visit!

    What? to thank them for the excellent service they provide ...

    No problem, they get paid for it. Suggest you do a google search
    on the topic in this newsgroup before posting rabid nonsense.

    Its all been discussed at length before and the view is that they
    are an asset rather than a liability.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Randy

    Chris Salter Guest

    Randy wrote:

    > Write 'em.
    > Fax 'em.
    > Call 'em.
    > Hell, pay 'em a visit!
    > (Or just buy their domain out in 2007...
    > and until then, blitz Tucows with complaints
    > for registering their domain as well as any lame
    > SW vendors surreptitiously using such a "service"
    > to do their dirtywork.)

    How on earth are they 'stealing' your bandwidth?

    --
    Chris Salter

    Chris Salter, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Randy

    Vanguard Guest

    "Randy" <> wrote in message
    <snip - unsupported rant>

    All that ranting and not even a clue to the readers as to why YOU think
    anyone is stealing your bandwidth. Just how are THEY stealing YOUR
    bandwidth? You don't know who Akamai is or what services they provide,
    do you? Or that Microsoft uses them for worldwide load-balancing of
    their Windows Update service. And you're too stupid to figure out how
    to configure the Automatic Updates service on your computer.

    Oh, I see now. A Qwest boob posting through the Google Groups
    webnews-for-dummies interface who can't figure out how to use a
    newsreader to connect to an NNTP server, and we're supposed to think
    this bozo understands anything about his network connections.

    Vanguard, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Randy

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:20:35 +0100, Chris Salter <>
    wrote:

    >How on earth are they 'stealing' your bandwidth?

    black helicopters and Haarp ...

    You only have to mention that and you can be
    instantly abducted, hey whats that knocking
    at the door? its

    Jim Watt, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Randy

    julie25

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Akamai Technologies a Real Pain in the Butt!

    I too find this company highly annoying. I can't even upgrade Adobe without it popping up. Intruding companies like this should be banned from the Internet.

    julie25, Feb 11, 2008
  7. Randy

    gman24

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    It's ok

    julie25 many companies use Akamai Technologies as a content server. The reason you see it pop up when you upgrade Adobe is that Adobe likely uses Akamai Technologies.

    Akamai Technologies has servers distributed all over and allows others to use them so that they can save bandwidth.

    I noticed that when I was going through my sniffing logs and did some research. I also came across this and decided to correct this misconception.

    I can see it's a common error and this is a main post when you google and there is no really clear answer here that would really soothe anyone, just much yelling lol.

    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
    gman24, Apr 11, 2008