Ajax Write. Any one seen this before??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutley, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    Mutley, Mar 24, 2006

  2. "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Online word processor.
    >
    > http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
    >
    > Works only with Firefox..

    Yes, found on Techcrunch a few days ago... And before I read your post (just
    reading the subject) I was going to object: it works only on Firefox.

    C'mon, we are talking about the internet as a platform, not a specific
    browser. Adn people complained about things working on IE only...

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Mar 24, 2006

  3. Mutley

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > Online word processor.
    >
    > http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
    >
    > Works only with Firefox..

    Yes, it is absolutely awful. This will set online applications back a
    few months if people hold this up as an example of how it should be done.

    Firefox only; very limited functionality. No online storage - what the
    hell is the point of being able to edit a document from anywhere if you
    have to have your document with you.

    Doesn't compare to even Gmail's editor for features or functionality.
    I've started to use gmail as my main wordprocessor now, simply because
    both the editor and the documents can be edited from anywhere. Autosaves
    automatically, too. And I usually email my documents anyway.

    And way behind http://www.fckeditor.net/demo/default.html which has a
    simply amazing set of features and works with IE, FF, Mozilla, Netscape etc.
    -=rjh=-, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Mutley

    Philip Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > Online word processor.
    >
    > http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
    >
    > Works only with Firefox..

    Doesn't work that well with Firefox! 30 seconds to load, can't be
    locally saved, my work is therefore dependent on a reliable Internet
    connection, doesn't have spell checking, can't use more than 7 font
    sizes, won't run on my lappy on the bus...

    Sucks like an Electrolux.

    Philip
    Philip, Mar 24, 2006
  5. On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:48:46 +1200, Philip wrote:

    > Sucks like an Electrolux.

    But boy do they suck well! :)

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    <insert witty quote here>
    Waylon Kenning, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    Philip <> wrote:

    >Mutley wrote:
    >> Online word processor.
    >>
    >> http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
    >>
    >> Works only with Firefox..

    >Doesn't work that well with Firefox! 30 seconds to load, can't be
    >locally saved, my work is therefore dependent on a reliable Internet
    >connection, doesn't have spell checking, can't use more than 7 font
    >sizes, won't run on my lappy on the bus...
    >
    >Sucks like an Electrolux.
    >
    >Philip

    It's a pain that it does not work with Opera.

    What do you mean
    "Can't be locally saved. "?? I tried it and it saved back to my hard
    disk or a flash ROM..
    Mutley, Mar 25, 2006
  7. Mutley

    Philip Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > Philip <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mutley wrote:
    >>> Online word processor.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
    >>>
    >>> Works only with Firefox..

    >> Doesn't work that well with Firefox! 30 seconds to load, can't be
    >> locally saved, my work is therefore dependent on a reliable Internet
    >> connection, doesn't have spell checking, can't use more than 7 font
    >> sizes, won't run on my lappy on the bus...
    >>
    >> Sucks like an Electrolux.
    >>
    >> Philip

    > It's a pain that it does not work with Opera.
    >
    > What do you mean
    > "Can't be locally saved. "?? I tried it and it saved back to my hard
    > disk or a flash ROM..

    You can, in theory, save the work. You can't save the application
    locally so far as I could see, so if you're not on line, you can't work.

    Possibly this is meant for people in forn parts who have real broadband,
    rather than Telecom's not-very-elastic-band.

    Philip
    Philip, Mar 25, 2006
  8. Mutley

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Mutley wrote:
    >> Philip <> wrote:

    >>> Doesn't work that well with Firefox! 30 seconds to load, can't be
    >>> locally saved, my work is therefore dependent on a reliable Internet
    >>> connection, doesn't have spell checking, can't use more than 7 font
    >>> sizes, won't run on my lappy on the bus...
    >>>
    >>> Sucks like an Electrolux.
    >>>
    >>> Philip

    >> It's a pain that it does not work with Opera.
    >>
    >> What do you mean
    >> "Can't be locally saved. "?? I tried it and it saved back to my hard
    >> disk or a flash ROM..

    > You can, in theory, save the work. You can't save the application
    > locally so far as I could see, so if you're not on line, you can't work.

    It is an online application, why would you even think about saving the
    application locally? That's like trying to save your webmail application
    locally!

    The compromise you make with current online apps like ajaxwrite, is that
    it has poorer functionality than even the most basic of equivalent local
    apps (which would be Wordpad in this case), in exchange for being able
    to use the application from anywhere.

    This particular implementation is a *very* poor example, as there is
    very little point in having an online app that you can't save or display
    online - if you have to save locally, and not be tied to a particular
    machine, you save to a USB key, and if you are doing that you might as
    well put your application on the key as well. Ajaxwrite has very few
    features and lags well behind what is currently available elsewhere.

    > Possibly this is meant for people in forn parts who have real broadband,
    > rather than Telecom's not-very-elastic-band.

    Nevertheless, online apps when done properly definitely have their
    place, and probably the most widely used example is webmail. And that
    all works just fine on dialup - broadband is *not* a requirement when
    these apps are done right.
    -=rjh=-, Mar 25, 2006