AJAX, Web2.0 etc is probably all hype but...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=-, Oct 22, 2005

  2. In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    >Hmmm...Protopage....niiiice....
    >
    >http://www.protopage.com/hindesite

    Hmm, slight usability problem...

    As soon as I mouse over any of those little items in those menu boxes, a
    bigger box comes down with details about the item. Trouble is, it
    completely covers the items lower down, so I cannot move down to look at
    any of them.

    To get around this, I have to start with the bottom item and only move
    up.

    >Anyone else here using this?

    I have no idea what it is. :)

    >What other *good* useful web based apps are you using?

    Google Maps, of course.

    AJAX I can appreciate--maybe I'll get my head around it someday. But
    this whole Web 2.0 business--have a look at this "meme map"
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/21/web_two_point_nought_poll/> and
    tell me you don't get the urge to splash a bucket of cold water on
    someone...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2005

  3. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hmmm...Protopage....niiiice....
    >>
    >>http://www.protopage.com/hindesite

    > Hmm, slight usability problem...

    Not really - that is my personal page and I've set it up that way
    intentionally - just approach the titlebar from the side, or click on
    the extend link. To me screen real estate was most important so less
    used collections are unextended.

    Besides, anyone viewing the page can make any changes they like; they
    won't be saved between reloads.

    > As soon as I mouse over any of those little items in those menu boxes, a
    > bigger box comes down with details about the item. Trouble is, it
    > completely covers the items lower down, so I cannot move down to look at
    > any of them.
    >
    > To get around this, I have to start with the bottom item and only move
    > up.

    >>Anyone else here using this?

    > I have no idea what it is. :)
    >

    >>What other *good* useful web based apps are you using?

    > Google Maps, of course.

    Also Flickr, Blogger et al, del.icio.us and so on - but what about less
    mainstream apps (like Protopage)

    > AJAX I can appreciate--maybe I'll get my head around it someday. But

    Well, AJAX has been around for a while, so why is it being hyped now? Is
    it related to improved networks, or more server power, or is it entirely
    from media manipulation?

    > this whole Web 2.0 business--have a look at this "meme map"
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/21/web_two_point_nought_poll/> and
    > tell me you don't get the urge to splash a bucket of cold water on
    > someone...

    Surely the map has to be a joke, promoted as if it were serious?
    Unfortunately somebody was probably paid a huge consultancy fee to come
    up with that rubbish. "The perpetual Beta"? - sounds like someone has
    just discovered Open Source (which actually, is just more honest than
    commercial software).

    The whole Web2.0 thing just has to be pure media manipulation, pure and
    simple. The Register at least has some very pragmatic (possibly
    cynical!) writers that manage to put an interesting and informative
    slant on news.

    I'm probably being a bit cynical myself when I wonder if this is just
    another spontaneous buzzword frenzy or if somebody/something is behind
    it. If you can use a buzzword, everyone knows what you mean (or won't
    admit it if they don't). Is this a precursor to more investment madness?

    There is no doubt that the web *is* undergoing a significant change at
    present (and one that more closely aligns with Berners Lee's original
    vision), but to try and promote it as a buzzword is just bullshit.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 23, 2005
  4. -=rjh=-

    Enkidu Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >> Hmm, slight usability problem...

    > Not really - that is my personal page and I've set it up
    > that way intentionally - just approach the titlebar from
    > the side, or click on the extend link. To me screen real
    > estate was most important so less used collections are
    > unextended.
    >
    > Besides, anyone viewing the page can make any changes
    > they like; they won't be saved between reloads.

    Yes, really. You should not expect people to use your
    website in a particular way. It should all be obvious and
    usable without special techniques (approach it from the
    bottom or approach it from the side, whatever).

    It's not so much that things are unexpanded. It's thst they
    cover up other stuff when they are expanded. That is not good.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 24, 2005
  5. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hmm, slight usability problem...

    >> Not really - that is my personal page and I've set it up
    >> that way intentionally - just approach the titlebar from
    >> the side, or click on the extend link. To me screen real
    >> estate was most important so less used collections are
    >> unextended.
    >>
    >> Besides, anyone viewing the page can make any changes
    >> they like; they won't be saved between reloads.
    >>

    > Yes, really.

    No, *not really*.

    I perhaps should have been clearer; that page is *not* a website, it is
    my own, *personal* start page, using Protopage. I'm the only one using
    it. It is a simple way of getting bookmarks and other information into a
    place where it can be shared between multiple browsers or between
    people. I suppose it does look a little more presentable than (for
    example) del.icio.us; but it is not a website.

    Heaps of other examples at protopage.com - you probably should visit
    this before commenting, to see what Protopage is about. It is a very
    slick, very simple online product.

    > You should not expect people to use your website in a
    > particular way.

    I don't expect anyone other than me to be using that page; I merely
    offered it up as an example of some the things that can be done with
    Protopage. It is a private page - my public website(s) are elsewhere.

    Of course, Protopage is well suited to building a very quick and dirty
    web presence if required, it is quite flexible, and easier to use than
    almost any other online web facility. No setup. Free hosting. Disposable.

    It should all be obvious and usable without special
    > techniques (approach it from the bottom or approach it from the side,
    > whatever).
    >
    > It's not so much that things are unexpanded. It's thst they cover up
    > other stuff when they are expanded. That is not good.

    I'm well aware of the downside to the layout, but as I said - it is for
    my own personal use. I wouldn't find it acceptable on a website, but
    this is just a repository for bookmarks.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 24, 2005